New Magazine for Jersey Surf Scene

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by URN_Surf_Company, Feb 9, 2018.

Would you or someone you know buy this magazine?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Depends on...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. URN_Surf_Company

URN_Surf_Company Member

Feb 9, 2018
    On Christmas Day of 2017, a new surfing magazine was born. The first edition of Rambler Surf Magazine was delivered to the first lucky subscribers on December 25, 2017.

The mag was written, created, and printed by the folks at URN Surf Company in order to fill the void that ESM's departure had created. The magazine was brought to life by a bunch of young dudes who felt the need to write into the night, surf/document all day, and throw resulting content into a printed publication that varies from what NJ/ the East Coast is accustom to.

The creators know the mag ain't perfect, however just by reading through, one can tell the guys may have a knack for the trade. Right now they need support from the Jersey surfing community, as well as the East Coast surfing world at large.

Check out URNSURFCO.com for more information on this vision. The website makes sending support very easy with the "SHOP" page as well as the newest "Advertisement" post.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    I stayed at that camp site in the photos of your scrap book.

best of luck!

URN_Surf_Company likes this.

3. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Buy magazines ...is this 1997? Are we at Borders books?

cepriano likes this.
  4. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I'll make a deal with you. You stop using 'da' to replace the word 'the' and I'll look at your website.
    As in You DA man or that was DA bomb.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

^^ This!!
    And we don't buy mags from "dudes" either. A dude is a cowboy on a ranch in Montana!!
    Ain't we assholes?? <grin>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2018
    pkovo likes this.
  6. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  7. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    print media died dude.

but good luck in your endevor.

La_Piedra likes this.
  8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    whats a magazine?

9. URN_Surf_Company

URN_Surf_Company Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Changed it just for you sir.

10. URN_Surf_Company

URN_Surf_Company Member

Feb 9, 2018
    You think they should be free?

11. URN_Surf_Company

URN_Surf_Company Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Then who would you like to buy mags from? We can arrange for whatever fantasy you may have in mind... Just click purchase first.

12. Son Bather Bob

Jun 16, 2014
    Barry comes off as a loyal play girl subscriber

URN_Surf_Company likes this.
  13. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Is it $10 per issue? Do you have advertisers paying you?

14. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    1. ESM was free and I liked it, yet I usually left the shop without it.

2. Take the stupid middle finger logo off the cover.

3. Provide us with some sample content, we're not gonna gamble 10 bux on your words and pictures because YOU think you "have a knack for the trade".

4. Good luck and thank you for the post.

15. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Barry visited a dude Ranch?

16. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I think printed media, sadly, is falling off the wayside... everything is mobile now on your iPhone 12.

It's sad, cause I used to love local surf mags... but I don't think there's much market for it right now- specially since ppl can see yesterday's swells hottest pics on instagram today - instead of waiting a month for a publication to be printed.

Sorry- it's sad, but it's the truth.

If you wanted to do something- I would suggest it be cheap or free. AND tailored toward more of the hipster surfing crowd.. I don't think your normal "dude ranch" (Barry) surfer would buy it...

Why not just get a really well known blog going instead??? Like the link you had - I have never heard of, but it looked like it had a lot of posts. But I have not heard of it- so maybe get the word out.

One publication that I would still buy now is the surfers journal - but it's top notch writing and traveling, not so much local stuff..

Sorry man, just my honest throughts.

ALSO- most important- you really should get the middle finger off the logo... it's just not cool. It's not what surfing is. Maybe it's what it was in the 90s , but not so much now...

JayD likes this.
  17. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    There's an iPhone 12?

18. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Print media is dying.

While most baby boomers and Gen X'ers might still be interested in such a magazine, your content and advertising would need to be specifically tailored for their tastes...which is probably a horrible way to do a surf magazine.

Real life scenario would more likely be having content and advertising more suitable for millenials and next gen, which would push the dinosaurs right out of your wheelhouse demographic...we hate Millenials (and they hate us).

Unless you and your "dudes" can find a way to gently blend the genres, I'd say you've got your work cut out for you.

And considering your middle finger logo, I'd venture to guess that you've gotten off to a not-so-rollicking start.

Mr.Belmar likes this.
  19. Son Bather Bob

Jun 16, 2014
    Incorporate “clickable paper”.
    You can scan an image on your smart phone off your magazine. Using AR technology the magazine comes to life.

20. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    That was a ShredMachine reference.... most of us are still using beepers lol