The Flu and Flu Shotts

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ChavezyChavez, Feb 18, 2018.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah I hear all that, it’s just when I hear of people getting it, they are usually the type to get the shot. While me and others I know who don’t get the shot usually don’t get it. It’s not a study I’ve done, just an observation based on real life experience.

I also am a very clean person and don’t share germs with anybody but my wife. So I think that helps. I use to get sick more often when I was younger and would pass a bowl or bong around. These days I smoke alone 99% of the time.

Also, when I was single and had multiple females on rotation I would sometimes catch a cold or something.

Last but not least, I have no kids and avoid them for the most part, they are germ infested creatures and I have no desire to catch what they are passing around.

2. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Bunch a filthy animals you work with lol

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Interesting how certain ppl are against it... and when they are, they always make it known... for reasons unknown

Hey maybe:
    1. They have really good immune systems
    2. They arnt around the general public as much as others... less of a chance to get it.
    3. Or maybe it's the herb lol make your thinking all wacky

That's great if you fall into one of the above categories! Good for you! I would love to have a better immune system... unfortunately 'tis not the case...plus I'm around ppl all day...

Either way, it's just a shot...it's free... I can get it easily anywhere (pharmacy, work etc)... it takes 5min... no ill side effects... and I have less of a chance at getting sick. I'm all in...

sigmund likes this.
  4. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    If a tree falls in the middle of a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound??

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Before working remote, I worked in the same office full of filthy animals for 11 years and never once got the flu. Most people were running out to get their flu shots. They would make claims that they would be spared of the flu and I would get it because I wasn’t following instructions to get my shot. They got sick, I did not. Facts are facts.

People who are germaphobes tend to be the ones getting sick. The former CEO of my company was a “health nut”, did all this homeopathic crap and was always sick. He was super thin and looked ill all the time. People fool themselves into thinking all kinds of dumb crap.

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I don’t see the correlation.

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Don’t get me wrong guys. If you want to inject yourself with the flu, go right ahead. Not my body. I could care less what you do, I’m not against it, I’m not for it, it’s just not something I worry about.

8. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Exactly

9. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I love the flu shot so much I request it in my nipple.

sigmund and metard like this.
  10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    No not what I meant lol, your referencing that quote doesn’t make sense.

11. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have never gotten a flu shot. I had the flu was I was a kid and it was really serious like off my feet and close to being hospitalized for over a week. About 8 years ago I got that swine flu. It was the only time in my life that I thought I was gonna die. The day before it knocked me out I was surfing Ocean City with Mitchell. The next day I was flat out, unable to move, in a lot of discomfort. Literally unable to move without pain, raging fever, in and out of consciousness, not eating etc. I could hardly get to my feet. It was friggin awful and lasted two weeks before I started coming around to my normal self. I lost 6 pounds though so there was an upside.

12. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I actually kinda agree with DP. I only got the shot once... soley at my nephews mothers request. I'm actually a dirty person. I put things in my mouth all the time. At work my hands get filthy and i don't wash them till the end of the day. Ill eat with dirty hands. Ill pick up ice off the bumper of my truck or a roof or anywhere and chew on it. Lots of the guys i work with stick flashlights in there mouth when working. Iv had flashlights in my mouth seconds after it was in someone else's. People are always yelling at me for sticking things in my mouth that are dirty. Whatever. I rarely get sick. And don't go out getting shots. I don't go to the doctor unless I'm seriously injured. Hell, i won't even take aspirin for a headache. If i do get sick i just deal with it and ride it out.

However, i have a different theory than DP. I think it has more to do with being active and outside. Fresh air, physical activity, all that. Whether it's work, play, or both. A few weeks back i was getting a head cold. It was weird because ill get a cold for a day or so then I'm good. No biggie. This one lasted like a week then came back. One of the rare times i actually felt sick. Went surfing and was completely better.

13. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Take the shot, it's a coin flip really.

The US Gubmint paid for my shots every year. A couple of times I got sick by the shot...most of the time I didn't.

Don't want to catch the flu? Don't live around a Petrie Dish, i.e., don't have school-aged children and don't reside next to 3rd world countries like Mexico.

Drink lots of fluids and wash your hands as often as a surgeon.

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Immunization policies, for flu or any disease is the second most successful strategy humans devised to prevent death and lengthen life span. The first is sewers. It is the ONLY requirement I have of my family members, even my grand-daughter.
    As a point of related interest, ask those in the Middle Ages if they wished a vaccine had existed for Yersinia Pestis (plague). We still do not have one, and we are presently in the 6th pandemic globally. It is now in our rodent population (western ground squirrels, and midwest prairie dogs), moving eastward. We had 110 deaths in the USA last year despite easily curable by cheap antibiotics. All of the deaths were CDC attributable to doctors not recognizing what they were seeing in front of them. Most doctors do not even recognize measles anymore if a child is brought in with it. They have to google it......

sigmund and Mr.Belmar like this.
  15. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I don't get flu shots. My folks didn't either. Twice in the Navy years ago I did and still got sick.
    Once a year, maybe twice, I'll get a bug - usually when the weather is fluctuating a lot like it has been here lately. My allergies kick up too.
    This year, after hearing how sick people were getting from the flu, I considered getting a shot until hearing and reading that the the virus in the vaccine did not match the strain that was making folks sick. This happen last year as well.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Flu shot still reduced incidence (diagnosed cases) by 40% or so. In related viral strains, symptom severity is reduced (that alone saves lives).
    Although never perfect, you are better off taking the vaccine than not.

17. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
  18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I imagine the invention of antibacterial soap was pretty huge as well. Yes?

19. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I've read that too, Barry, and will very likely start getting the shot in the future. Our special needs daughter gets one every year. She has a trache. If for no other reason, I should get one for her. I'm also now into my 60s. The eye opener was taking my Mom (85) to the emergency room Friday and Sat mornings and seeing so many folks there wearing surgical masks.

Last Thurs night, Mom suddenly wasn't herself. The assisted living facility had called Friday and Sat mornings, wanting the paramedics to take her to the hospital. She was extremely confused, couldn't perform simple/routine tasks - including dressing and toileting - could not follow instructions, or move/transition without more assistance than usual. She would lean against the door to her room, preventing anyone from coming in, yelling for them to go away.
    We didn't know if she had had a stroke, UTI, was very dehydrated, coming down with the flu, or it was dementia taking its course. On the second day we brought her to emergency, she was admitted for observation. The doctor had warned us about the hazards of hospital stays: the flu, resistant viruses and bacteria, etc. Tests so far have revealed nothing. An MRI is scheduled for today.

Anyway, sorry for getting off track here. We've been at the hospital three full days almost and going back this morning. Getting myself run down from all this and catching the flu won't help matters. Mom is a handful, constantly complaining, fussing and questioning everything but not understanding what she's told. I don't know where she gets the energy. It's certainly draining on anyone around her. Depending on how this plays out, we may have to move her to a nursing home.

This year is the first time catching the flu had me concerned. Coming down with the flu each year used to be just part of growing up, as were measles, German measles, chicken pox, and mumps. Of course so was the potential of getting smallpox and polio - both pretty much unheard of now.

20. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Moral of the story... Mitchell gave you pig flu