Superstitions

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    MrBigglesworth likes this.
  2. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I hate residual wax on my rails or bottom of my board...I always take a dry towel and check the rails and bottom and clean any off before I paddle out...like it makes a difference in speed or rail turns lol!

MrBigglesworth likes this.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I like to push out the biggest loudest fart I can right before paddling out, usually sets the mood just right.

4. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    #metoo

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  5. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  6. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    That is cool world b....I never heard that before.

I have a jar on my workbench half full of sand from various places around the world...when leaving, I fill up a water bottle or even my pocket once and now have layers of surf trip sand...I am hopeful that the jar is full one day. Rell's method is way better though!

7. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I have little jars of sand of every beach I ever surfed. I took the best locations and have that set on my desk.
    I think it was Machado that said he drinks a little ocean water of wherever he surfs on the paddle out.

your pier and cepriano like this.
  8. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    When finishing a sesh I'll almost always take my leash off in waist high water. I always found it easier to wrap the leash around my tail when the board is just floating there. Probably not practical but I've always just done it that way...

9. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    my supertitioonese:

always perform sand reconne before surfing 'cane swells in chucktown

tie leash stringe as follows: loopp da loop, over, through, around the tree, back in the hole

never shot a pier with an even number of pilings

10. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I almost forgot: "if your girl needs a short suit, time to give her the boot"

La_Piedra likes this.
  11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Before I go out surfing, I always chant, "SI surfers are a bunch of drooling superstitious morons".

12. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We never did get a pic of that chick did we?

O Matheson

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't always intend to... but most of the time, at some point during my session, I look up and thank God. Sometimes it's after a good wave. Sometimes it's the water catching the light just right. Sometimes it's when my rail juuuuuust misses my nuts.

pdub, Panhandler, Mr.Belmar and 6 others like this.
  14. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I usually...kind of embarrassed to say it....but I pee in the water every time I'm at a non-local beach......sorry, it's just that I want to leave my mark in this world.

15. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I too drink ocean water on the paddle out,gets the mind right.see people think it makes u dehydrated but that couldn't be further from the truth.u just have to pass the dry phase

16. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I thought this treade was going to be about spiders and mirrors.

I kill spiders all the time.i don't like killing spiders,i feel they are good creatures for killing flies and shit,but when they get on or near me they dead.

don't play around with mirrors,i believe that shit lol.

I'm a firm believer in jinxing myself.like il never buy a dutch before I buy weed,happened like 20 years ago and to this day I still never buy it first.same thing with rubbers,never buy em before u think ur about to bang because u will jynx yourself,wait til u get her in the car lol.same with surfing,if I tell someone hey I'm going surfing tomorrow and its going to be pumping,sucks to be u,next day it will be flat.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  17. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Prior to my hitting the water I do the sign of the cross and say “balls like grapefruits”.

Been doing this prior to every session since 1987.

18. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    On big big days when I first get my feet wet I thank God for what I am about to receive.

I used to yell at my Mom for washing my board shorts, it would make it go flat for weeks.

My wife hounds me to apply sunscreen before I leave the house. I never do, because if I do that, something will happen and I won't make it to the beach. This is the best way to jinx a good session. Lightning, cops, locusts, zombie apocalypse, who knows what will happen between home and surf.

Panhandler likes this.
  19. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    It can provide additional momentum on the paddle out...while duck diving as well.

20. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I sing the Popeye song when I paddle out...