Cymatic FireWire

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Jesterface, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Jesterface

Jesterface Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017

I just bought 2 of these, i can't wait to get them!!...

Let me guess! Everybody thinks the board is a gimmick...

LBCrew likes this.
  2. ocsurf21

ocsurf21 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    He can make any board look good, he surfed a upside down table pretty darn well I’d RECKON

3. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian"
    [​IMG]

4. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Seen a few people with the Tomo, but they almost seemed like they didn't like the board, OR maybe they thought they would be able to surf like Kelly if they had one. What did you drop, about $1,700 for 2?

5. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    No stick will make you surf like Kelly. These guys could ride a walnut coffee table and do an air over you.

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Honest opinion? Some of it makes sense to me, some does not.

Bottom design makes sense... rocker makes sense if you're an above average surfer.

Planshape makes sense, except for the double bat tail which to me is just window dressing.

The no-nose design makes sense, but don't try to sell me that "swing weight" bullsh!t. It's about the rail line (and entry rocker), not reducing weight in the nose.

The ultra light weight has advantages and disadvantages... and you can see that in the video. Very skittery in good surf; would ride much better in waves under head high.

The build is very high tech... strong and light and responsive with good flex pattern. But all the tech-y gobbledy gook mumbo jumbo on the website is 100% gimmick.

If you're a good surfer and stoked to try something out of the ordinary, you made a good choice for yourself. Cheers...

DawnPatrol321 and headhigh like this.
  7. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I'm gonna buy 3 of them, just so I can surf 3X better than Slater

Zeroevol likes this.
  8. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Let me guess! You've also got the fastest car on your block!! Suite!!!

Zeroevol likes this.
  9. ocsurf21

ocsurf21 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    I had a friend a while back that would buy 3 brand new boards every year and something was always wrong with every board, which clearly caused him to suck at surfing. In no way could it of been that he just was awful at surfing. Moral of the story, surfing is about the gear you have and board you ride. zero skill involved

10. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Interested in the build, lightness, and durability, but all the other stuff is just marketing to those with money to burn on surfboards.

11. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I knew someone that was just like that. Buy a board, surf it once or twice trade it in, repeat. The board was always wrong and I would laugh as they complained to the shop owner how the board didn't turn etc. This person was over weight and the least athletic person you have ever seen. Not a surfer build at all. To top it all off after years of this, they could just barely crawl to their feet.

12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    No wasteful energy...if your surfing the wave that aggressively the weight matters.

I think swing weight matters...I think it does matter when you are surfing aggressively on the rail like he is. Transitioned turns to exploit wave energy is where it is at and slater does it better than anybody. Agree with the tail being a non issue.

Can't argue with LB on the scientific perspective...weight, rocker, and plane could be too advanced for even...well LB (or myself). But, if you can connect turns in that manner it looks legit, and if your close, maybe it makes you better at it.

So, with that said LB, b/c I'm an idiot, why are nose weight and surfing on rail mutually exclusive.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Have you ever held the broken-off tip of a nose in your hand? It weighs grams... an imperceptible amount of weight at the end of a very short lever.

Think about your point regarding transitions... your nose is not swinging when you go from one rail to the other... the stringer is the fulcrum. If your nose swings, it does it through turns, and it doesn't really "swing" much at all on a shortboard... it really leads the board through the turn. It's the nose rail rocker that determines the initial path the board will take through a turn... if enough of the rail is buried. If you're turning off your back foot, nose rail rocker matters much less.

But for the sake of argument, let's say it does "swing." When would it swing most? Off a top turn or snap when you're pivoting off your back foot and bringing the nose around 180 or more degrees. Your back foot is the fulcrum, and your nose is at the end of the lever. Those few extra grams... let's even say it's 2-3 oz of mass... when compared to all of the other forces going on make no discernible difference in the speed at which the nose comes around. It adds no significant drag since it's out of the water... it's only moving sideways through the air, and it's foiled shape even minimizes that. The forces on the board, rider, and wave are massive compared to the weight of that tiny foiled bit of foam and glass at the tip of the nose.

Kyle, La_Piedra and JayD like this.
  14. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ^makes sense...I guess modern board design (removing much of the nose...6'6" versus 6' for same conditions) has removed any discernible swing weight. I think we arrived at this design to harness more wave energy in steep drops and tight turns. I don't know maybe the minimal weight is minor. Good stuff LB...you should be a teacher.

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    If I sound like a teacher, it's cause I've been one for 20 years... lol! And you can probably guess what subject, too... physics. Among others sciences.

17. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    LB, since we're on the subject, what are the benefits and downfalls of a fuller and rounder nose in comparison to a pointy nose?

Looking at having a buddy shape me something more experimental...something full in the nose with a bit of planing hull in the entry portion with somewhat parallel rails, finishing in a light foil on a wider tail.

18. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    tomos are mush day boards. gotta pump like crazy in order to catch the line. prolly best on the west coast with the slow rollerz

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I was admitted to VA Tech for physics a long time ago, but I nixed them and went to school in New England. Why? I think drugs had something to do with it. But, at least I met a great lady up here.

20. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    LB will be able to answer much better than I. But I'll chime in because i like to keep my boards a little fuller in the nose. On the EC a HPSB don't really make sense to me. When i get my boards shaped i call them EC HPSBs. I like lower entry rocker and a fuller nose, yet not a round nose. A nice in between.

I feel this helps a ton in paddling. Gives you a little extra volume combined with the lower rocker. People often think I'm weird for riding this style nose specifically when it's big and steep. But my theory is, if I'm getting into them sooner, then its all good.

The second is it gives you a straighter rail line.

Both these things take away from what people would consider high performance, but like i said its an in between. Not flat or super full. And not a potato chip. But on the EC i feel it is a smart choice. I like to keep the back end of the board performance oriented. It allows me to surf junky waves and paddle easier. It's not like it's a log. The thing can still maneuver. Just not as well as a potato chip would. But I'm no Kelly Slater so it works for me