Epoxy or fiberglass?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by DosXX, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If you like epoxy boards, then go for it and have all the fun you can on them. So far, I am not a fan. I have been on the old time fiberglass/resin boards for 55 years now; I find it hard to adapt to the way the epoxy boards feel. On trips, i have rented epoxies, so it's not that I haven't tried them.

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Were those rentals crappy pop outs? Usually rentals are poo boarts for sucker tourists.

sisurfdogg likes this.

3. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I had an epoxy LB it flew, and was not bad in choppe, it had so much forward momentum,and it was kinda narrow, and had a futures 2 + 1 round tail set up, so it was very stable going thru ruff conditions. Granted, there is no comparison to the forward inertia of an old log, especially to wooden ones, they go through anything, but you lose a lot as far as performance goes.

My advice to DosXX is to try the epoxy, variety is the spice of life.

jaklsurfs likes this.
  4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

They were CI surftechs, not the best, but far from the worse.
    Rented at Mar Azul, from Bobby and Raquel (nice rack!!)

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Lol Yeah not the best. I always bring my own boart when I stay with them. They have some “decent” rentals but not close to what I like to ride. I rented from them my 1st trip there, not the best boart but I managed.

6. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    check your glassing schedule. almost all boards now are 4/4/4 lightest weight boards available, weakest too. but if you want a stronger 'light' board go with 4s/4e/4s. Or 4/6/4. really depends on how hard you are on the boards. All my boards are epoxy resin

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Bobby showed us his rental room. We may use it someday, but for now, we still like our little spot hanging off the cliffs over Tres Palmas. I will be there in December. Hope the place get better cleaned up by then; they still have a way to go, I am told.
    When I go alone, I bring my board, but if my wife comes (which I prefer), then I rent from them.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Right on, shoot me some info about that spot if you don’t mind. We have been talking a lot about our next trip. Wouldn’t mind a change of scenery.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Sent you an email, google.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  10. sheetglass

sheetglass Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    My $.02: the only benefits polyester resins have over epoxy resins is that they're cheaper and accept tints better than epoxy resins. Modern epoxy resin will be more durable and stay white just as long or longer than polyester resin given the same other factors of a board (fiberglass type and glassing craftsmanship, foam). My main shortboard that was made of a Marko Foam EPS blank with a wood stringer and traditionally laid up with fiberglass (not sure what type) and Green Room epoxy is nearing 5 years old and has never had an open ding. I don't think I'll ever get a board glass with polyester resin ever again.

jaklsurfs likes this.
  11. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    We’ll maybe they maybe epoxy Boards different now this one I ride is five years old thing chatters like a mofo in chop. Super light in hard offshore wind thing will fly off the face. Glad they fixed that issue now !

12. rearly9986

rearly9986 Active Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Riding an Egg is not a big change from a longboard, talk to your shaper, tell that person what you want to accomplish and take their recommendation to heart. I personally have little use for epoxy boards, I have used then and just don't get the same feel as glass.
    But, you should try one out before you decide to invest the money.
    I ride a 9'6" glass board for most small days, but change up to my 7'10" Diamond tail big guy board as the waves build. Local shaper with great wave knowledge in the Cape Fear area on NC. My second board using the same template, just great.

13. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks, guys, for the good feedback.

headhigh likes this.
  14. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Great threadde, lots of knowledge.

To each his own, it's always good to review the new advances in technology. My old trusty shaper is so old (61), he swears epoxy is still stiff with zero flex. Time to find a new shaper, and the one who introduced me to high performance epoxy boards died from cancer at 45 (go figure).

I like to keep an open mind, but $$$ dictates that prudent choices are made when ordering a new shape. I am toying with getting a 7'6" hog, maybe a Robert August Big Guy Tri just because I still like catching and riding good waves. Seems like "the ticket to ride" for an old surfdogg.

Lots of negative posts here on mid lengths, but I had temporary use of a Herbie Fletcher step deck 8' single fin that totally RULED the waves, so if properly foiled and rockered, a good mid length doesn't have to be a POS. It can be The Fountain of Ute.

https://robertaugust.com/collections/mid-length

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  15. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Id go for the 8'4" its pretty

16. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Epoxy/eps bamboo stringered 7'10"x 15.7" x 22" x 14" stretched egg, 53 liters-2.77" max thickness, extra tail flip, thruster fin cluster- sides toed in 3/16". 1 board quiver- .5 ft. to 8 ft. surf but you have to be ready to walk it sometimes. Can duck dive it somewhat w/ the knife-nose side scoop technique. It's light, tough, glidey and carvey and can fit any surf condition. Simple and effective for this middle aged boy. Have had many, many cues over the years but this one covers all bases for me right now. Only this construction type would be suitable for me in terms of value, longevity and performance.

17. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I have yet to wear through an epoxy board, they won't break, delam, I ignore dings, and they just keep hanging around like house guests that won't leave. I should sell them, but I'm too lazy, so I just buy new shapes occassionally, and the old ones linger.