Why I surf solo

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Moon dog, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Moon dog

Moon dog Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    20140201_072642.jpg It's not that I dislike other surfers, some of my best friends surf. My focus is on the next set, and quenching the demon we call the Stoke! As for crowded days I'm the guy on the outside waiting for the cleanup set.

Pyzelghost7 likes this.
  2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Okay....you get a cookie.....

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thank you for sharing Moon Dog. I’ll write this down in my book of things to care about. Lmao I kid I kid, I usually surf alone too, but I surfed a crowded break yesterday due to certain conditions.

soulrider likes this.
  4. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    If you're within 100 yards of me in the water and you are not family or a very close friend, believe me, I'm wishing you would go away. Its nothing personal. Surfing is what I do to try and escape people......and it gets harder and harder to find a quiet place to surf all the time.

5. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Holy, this should have been written by me, exactly, family and friends everyone else go away, go far away.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I have been saying that for at least 30-40 years.
    You will be me when you grow up, sonny. <grin>

7. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I have no one who gets it! So I surf alone and dig it. If I go under, by board or wave,by the time anyone notices I’m done! Go bruins!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Pyzelghost7 and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I too hate most people.i don't like large numbers,couple people is ok but beaches with 30+ ppl in the water with another 50 on the beach,il be 5 minutes up the road.i like to clear my mind in the water and u cant do it surrounded by a bunch of douches lol

LongIslandBro likes this.
  9. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I like lots of folks in the water around me, urinating, passing gas. Keeps the water warm...
    [​IMG]

mullinsd249 and Zeroevol like this.
  10. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Nobody likes surfing in a crowd....
    People that say they’d always rather surf alone don’t have good friends.
    Some of the best days of my life were shared with friends in the water.

AccessDenied and sisurfdogg like this.
  11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ^thats b/c you want your bros to see you shred man...lol. I Kidd!

Yea, surfing with a couple or even a few good friends is rare but typically some of the most memorable sessions.

I've surfed in some stupid crowds...rarely is that fun.

12. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I usually paddle out with a bud but often paddle out solo.

I have only paddled out with more than 2 other friends on a single occasion, and that was at a camp site in Mexico with nobody around for miles.

I cringe when guys 3+ rock up.

headhigh likes this.
  13. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Here I amo_O

La_Piedra likes this.
  14. Pyzelghost7

Pyzelghost7 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    I prefer winter surfing so often I find I am the only one out at my spot at Surf City, NC. Even if I am solo, I go ahead and eventually others show up, too, but usually down by the pier. I catch grief for going solo from family and non-surfing friends but if you stop to think about it, SOMEBODY has to get out there first.

mullinsd249 likes this.
  15. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I just want people to leave me the fuk alone.

LongIslandBro and LBCrew like this.
  16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I surf alone for the glamour.

Pyzelghost7, La_Piedra and LBCrew like this.
  17. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I like surfing with friends. Alone. Or in a crowd.

I usually surf better in a crowd.

18. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I hate crowds as much as anyone. But it's not so much the people. It's the fact that when you get a crowd, a lot of people out tend to not have a clue. "Competitive" crowds, or crowds with guys who know what they are doing aren't nearly as bad in my opinion. A few years back there were a bunch of good sand bars making it really easy to get good waves and avoid crowds. In recent years it's been tough without sacrificing wave actually. After this past run of swell it seems like there's a ton of potential for quality summer bars to help avoid crowds.

Used to always surf solo. Now i usually paddle out with one buddy. It has its perks. I like both. But especially on big cold swells, it's nice having a buddy to push you. A little friendly unspoken competition to get the best waves that day. There's nothing like the detachment from civilization feeling of surfing alone though.

After being knocked out once in the water completely solo, it's definitely made me more accepting of a friend joining me. Although i think at the end of the day I'd still rather be solo.

19. Moon dog

Moon dog Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    KIMG0271.JPG Don't always get to surf solo sometimes my daughter joins!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    pdub and Kyle like this.
  20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Why do I surf solo? 'Cause none of my friends surf anymore! But then again... I never "went surfing" with anyone else much, at least not since high school.

Surfing is great... with other guys out or not. But it's hard to get that into that relaxed zone... get that peace of mind... when you're constantly having to factor in the actions of others.

I'll avoid a crowd whenever possible, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Fortunately, I can usually find a sparsely populated peak fairly easily around here... even empty, especially in the winter. Summer's a whole 'nother game.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.