Best Board You Ever Had?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by CJsurf, Apr 9, 2018.

1. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Been surfing for over 20 years and had many awesome boards from longboards to Al Merrick Flyers...just bought this beauty last year and it is by far the best board I've ever owned!!! Absolutely love this SUPER BRAND "FLING" 5'11". Ride it as a quad most of the time. Taking it to Costa Rica this summer!

Attached Files:

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

o bagus...drive me nuts?? Hardly.
    Amusing, perhaps.

3. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    1986 Eberly Hotstuff Kong Pro Model.

4. AccessDenied

AccessDenied Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Roberts - 6'0 Dreamcatcher.

This was the first new board I ever purchased and it honestly changed my surfing...
    Used board selection is always tough for a guy my size - 6'1 185lbs.

Everything I find in good condition used is either a 25L potato chip or a 7' funboard...

I pulled the trigger on this board last year and it's been an incredible Winter so far!

I just picked up a custom Roberts - Diamond Fish in varial foam - 5'9
    I may change this post once I've had a chance to test this board out this Spring.

Regardless, I'm stoked on what Robert Weiner is doing.
    Being a bigger guy himself, he understands what surfers our size need from a board.
    It's not just packing foam in unnecessarily to increase volume...

I'm all about supporting your local shaper, but his work is something of magic to me.

Working directly with him and his team was also an incredibly positive experience; when you call the shop the last person you'd expect to be answering the phones is Robert himself.
    He spent a few minutes with me talking about dimensions and fins and where/how I surf to dial in the custom order.
    All around great experience doing business with them!

Kanman likes this.
  5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Part of the reason why I build my own.

6. AccessDenied

AccessDenied Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I shaped two boards last year and had them glassed by Rascoe/GFG.
    Let's just say the best thing about these boards is the glass job...

Definitely cool to own two boards I designed, free-handed and shaped myself.
    Even better to ride a board you shaped with your own two hands...
    But as far as riding performance/ability goes, I'll reach for something else 99/100 times.

7. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    How many boards do you think you have shaped...for yourself or otherwise?

Your physics knowledge alone is a huge advantage. I imagine you could take ones build and experience, and build a proper stick for them.

Also +1 on Rascoe and GFG. My last 3-4 boards were glassed by shaper but I have had 4 or 5 boards over the years by various shapers that were GF glassed...

AccessDenied likes this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Honestly I have no idea... I started back in high school in the late 70s until '91, then got back into it around '99 or so, shaping more than glassing for a while... doing a few boards a week, plus my own and a bunch for friends every year. They say you're not a "real shaper" until you've done 1,000 boards. I've not come close to that.

But I'm a DIY guy... a garage hack. It's how I get my art buzz on, and I like my results. It saves a ton of money, I build them exactly how I want them... in terms of materials, durability, design, color... and there's nothing more satisfying to me than shooting out of a deep tube on one of my own boards, knowing I put myself there.

Kanman, Mr.Belmar and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Not to get all touchy feely. But you inspire me. I feel like i could learn to shape. I mean my job is hands on. I plan a job out depending on its purpose and build/ install. Just got to get used to working with foam. I do my own board repair so I'm not totally starting from scratch (although i do realize shaping/glassing and repairs are two diffrent beasts). In my apartment now i don't really have the room. But as soon as this wedding is over and i get into a house, first thing I'm doing is setting up a shaping bay and going to start learning the ropes. Iv always wanted to, but you have really motivated me to make sure it actually happens. Thanks LBCrew

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ...and there's nothing more satisfying to me than shooting out of a deep tube on one of my own boards, knowing I put myself there.

I bet the gratification is unreal.

11. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    It's like when I go to the bathroom down in my finished basement. I drop a deuce knowing I myself installed the crapper. Very satisfying indeed....

JayD and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    If you're good with your hands, and you have a halfway decent eye, you can shape a board. All you need to do is learn some really basic techniques and know the "steps" of the process. This is all learn-able. I take a very mathematical and methodical approach to shaping, which dramatically cuts down on the chance of error. The tools are all very basic, and cheap. The biggest obstacle... and you already mentioned it... is space.

Glassing requires even fewer tools, but there's a little more technique to it. Again... all very learn-able if you're good with your hands and have a good eye for detail. But again... space, and something to protect your floor.

Hardware installs require a router and templates, and a drill and whole saw, but you can always do glass-ons and fiberglass leash loops if you don't want to invest in that stuff.

A power grinder/polisher makes sanding much easier, but much easier to F up, too. An orbital will do the job, but you can sand a board with a hard/soft block and strong right arm.

13. willburne

willburne Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2017
    My favorite board has to be my step up Driver by Vernor - only because after a hiatus from sarfing it suffered the many beatings of me falling on it , smacking it on car doors talking to the bouys much too emphatically, and withstanding international travel two times... durable - reliable - and fast.
    04688045-CD38-489B-A20F-43D51ACBF236.jpeg

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I would rather shoot into fallopian tubes, knowing that I put myself there.....

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  16. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    hahaha
    o dp321

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  18. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Lol, I guess if you could get yourself there...maybe it would be more gratifying.

19. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah man. I already got a orbital sander, router, multiple drills and hole saws up to 6in. Having a job that requires me to have all these tools already is a plus. Plus i got multiple other tools that i use for repairs such as sqeegees.

Pretty good understanding of design and a big interest in design.... it's a match made in heaven.

Once i have the space expect me to be asking some questions.

20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    BMon... I have a bunch of resources and guides I used in my course I can send you. Materials/tools lists, foam and cloth guides, shaping and glassing guides, and a LOT of design theory stuff. Let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger.