Nicaragua trip replacement

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by bungholesurfer, May 4, 2018.

1. bungholesurfer

bungholesurfer Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Nicaragua might not be the best place to go these days with the pending upheaval and all. I was planning on going in July or August but will probably have to change my plans. Anybody have any suggestions for a cheap central American trip?

2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    My thoughts are always on the adventure of getting to the surf destination as much as my thoughts are focused on the ocean . I say go and since you've travelled before you'll know not to take anything for granted. If you don't go you'll regret missing out on the adventure. we all have an expiration date that you can't change.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.

3. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Low risk: Cabo, Costa Rica, Panama.

Higher Risk : El Salvador.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If you go to Nicaragua, and a revolt breaks out while you are there, never forget--you are American--it will be "your fault, you filthy gringo hijo de puta!"
    I said my peace. If you still want to go, be my guest. Say "hi" to the Sandinistas for me.....

5. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    sac up and go...nothing will happen to you. no riskit no buscuit

littlerhody and nopantsLance like this.
  6. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Im going to Peru in July. Great alternative if you want to pony up a few more bucks for airfare. Cheaper when you get there, as well. Even better if a goofy footer.

Mitchell likes this.
  7. KDHJB

KDHJB Active Member

Nov 14, 2013
    I say still go to Nicaragua. It seems like the unrest is fairly isolated in Managua and has calmed down a good bit from a few weeks ago. Also you'll be in and out of that city in 20 minutes. Everywhere in centro poses some amount of risk, and Nicaragua is still pretty far away from being the most risky destination there.

littlerhody likes this.
  8. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I have a trip planned for the first week in August and I am still going. Like KDH said, it's all in Managua. If you have transport from the airport then you're good. I highly doubt they even notice something is going on along the coasts.

9. Utah__Two

Utah__Two Member

Jul 10, 2014
    My trip is fully booked for July, so I'm keeping an eye on the situation in Nica on a daily basis. Hopefully there's no issue getting to and from the airport, which is my only concern.

10. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I wouldn't worry about it, the unrest hasn't gotten to that point yet.

But if you must, Panama is the safest bet. Check out the area around Chiriqui.

11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    just got an invite for mid july...house up from Colorado's paid for...just need to commit to plane ticket. Not too worried about the uprising as it appears at the moment. Looking like the Hawaiian Islands are in the mix for this winter so I may pass on Nic.

12. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Jay, where do you stay in HI? I've been itching to book a trip out there but wondering if there is anywhere to stay aside from the touristy hotels....any recommendations would be appreciated!

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You all should crash Stank’s pad!

eatswell, JayD and Barry Cuda like this.
  14. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Oahu- Hawaii Kai
    Maui- Wailuku
    Kauai - I don't have a connection there but I like Poipu and Princeville depending on time of year.
    Hawaii- Kailua Kona

I would look into AIRbb and do a couple of islands and go for at least two weeks (or do Oahu, and stay Honolulu for a few and north shore the rest). I am looking at 3 weeks this winter...tickets are $1100-1200 now...which is pretty decent for that time of year.

Really depends on what you are looking for. North Shore vibe is killer...you can cruz, surf, relax, eat, and chill. South shore plenty of nightlife, can go anywhere on the island from there to surf depending on swell and time of year. I have stayed right on sunset beach a couple of times and that is a real treat. Also, chilling in Waikiki at a nice hotel is kinda cool but I wouldn't hang your whole trip on that scene. Again, really depends on time of year (southshore in the summer can be all time good but you can easily get burned in a two week span).

I basically slow to a crawl when I go there...Irie surf monster taking it all in. Can't wait to go...

15. willburne

willburne Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2017
    It’s mainly in Managua - from what I understand it’s about local businesses being throttled by the corrupt government , and locals rallying for fair wages... they aren’t really out gringo hunting as our brethren suggests lol - my brother stayed at a hostel there just last month, said he couldn’t even really tell a difference as he moved down the coast line to different spots. Only that locals weren’t recieving drinking water because the trucks were blocked off by the riots. Nothing that the community couldn’t pull together as a whole to solve.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  16. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    What are you talking about it’s safe there but you can always head to kook a rica with all the other tourists and spend three times the money. Never had a problem there myself

QUOTE="bungholesurfer, post: 493035, member: 41985"]Nicaragua might not be the best place to go these days with the pending upheaval and all. I was planning on going in July or August but will probably have to change my plans. Anybody have any suggestions for a cheap central American trip?[/QUOTE]

ukelelesurf likes this.
  17. littlesneezer

littlesneezer New Member

Jan 22, 2018
    I went to Oahu this past january with a plane ticket at about $650 BWI to HNL. Deals are out there if you are flexible with dates.

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    where you headed?

19. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    So True sneezer. I'm going to be there during the holidays and do New Years in Honolulu...probably the most expensive time of year. I think my cheapest flight ever was $587 in the 90s lol.

20. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Just arrange transportation and keep a low profile and you'll be out of Managua before you know it. If you were to change plans though Panama would be my call. Playa Venao is super consistent and Cambutal is one of my favorite beaches in the world, especially if you're traveling with a significant other. A few fun spots in between too.

willburne likes this.