Keep Infectious Haole Money Out of Hawaii

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by arthurdigbysellers, May 15, 2018.

1. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Height requirements. for Safety.

heaps of Meh likes this.
  2. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    y'all are like a hundred years too late to keep "haole money" out of hawaii...

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I thought another reason this was done, was to give kids a time to chill out and rest for a bit? Oh well, we wouldn't want a lawsuit because little Johnny had to rest for 10 minutes!!

heaps of Meh likes this.
  4. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    in that paradise all that opportunity for huge profits its not a surprise. when the big money shows up and puts smaller competition down even if they loose money the first year or so they can squash other competion by being cheaper and be able to absorb those lost profits. the smaller companies that are locally owned wont be able to compete for long against those tactics .
    the locals dont have all the huge money large companies can shell out for considerations ( bribes and kickbacks )on the bids

heaps of Meh likes this.
  5. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Do they have small business set asides for city contracts just to make it a little more even ?

heaps of Meh likes this.
  6. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Hawaiin politics are dominated by one party. That party like to give free shit to people to get votes. Well, if you want to give people free shit and have already raised taxes to ludicrous levels (note: a percentage of the residents dont even pay taxes) then money gotta come from somewhere.

La_Piedra and heaps of Meh like this.
  7. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    When I was a young, dumb, jarhead stationed at K bay in the early 90's, a couple of those guys were real cool to me. Definitely helped me out, petition signed.

Big island looks like it's about to get buried, I would be outta there.

8. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeah I get you. I can understand the government's way of thinking on the issue.

i think what any decision is being based on is, ultimately, money. And I can't blame them if the city is hit hard financially. But Waikiki/Honolulu? They are most likely revenue rich so the deal doesn't make a lot of sense at first blush...like a blatant money grab.

and if anybody should be allowed to pull the Culture Card, native islanders deserve to be right there near the front of the line.

just not interested in seeing the South Shore turned into Vegas

headhigh and heaps of Meh like this.
  9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Too late on that....the islanders were sold out by Duke Kahanamoku long time ago.

10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Plz elaborate on this logic...how?

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

He welcomed them to their shores, and was paid for it. He took money to welcome in people AND BUSINESSES.
    That is the American Way - to many , that is called "selling out". Like it or not, that is what he did.
    I see it as "earning a living". But then again, I am a fervent capitalist, and I make zero excuses for it.

12. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    signed..

#9/12

13. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I signed multiple times under the names: Fungus, Barry Cuda, Micha, Austine, and Outdoor Hub

#2/3

KDHJB and heaps of Meh like this.
  14. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I get capitalism...in this case it's driven by tourism. The fall of the Hawaiian Kingdom (the Kingdom Duke was born into), and the rise of tourism is no coincidence. Without tourism there would be no beach boys on da beach providing services. We are talking about their legacy.

One of the allures of The Waikiki experience (capitalism not withstanding), since the days of Duke, is the experience of learning to ride the waves (canoe, LB etc.) with a local Hawaiian teacher. That legacy of culture is slowly slipping away. This shift in beach service contract will take away some of the allure (not for you) of the experience one might garner as they vacation in Waikiki.

This is capitalism for sure...doesn't mean it's a good decision (specifically the decision made by city council).

Don't disagree with your premise but just look at it differently in this situation...opinion.

La_Piedra, headhigh and heaps of Meh like this.
  15. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This is the point. There is middle ground in the binary of Capitalism and Communism.

My home city has a historic district. Yes, the city could have leveled all the antebellum mansions and historical sites and built high density housing to increase tax revenue, but they didn't do that to preserve the culture and history of the city.

Does that makes Wilmington a communist city?

La_Piedra and heaps of Meh like this.
  16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Culture?? Sure, I get it. I spawned a classical violinist--that is one of the high forms of "culture" for westerners.
    But culture changes. Symphonic Halls are dying a slow death. So will the beach boys everywhere, not just Hawaii. What the tourists demand has little relevance to what will be offered once money is at stake. Tourist would not recognize a "local" from a "transplant" and neither will they care and they are uniquely stupid. Remember--I lived on a tropical island the first 18 1/2 years of my life--I saw similar demise happen in PR eons ago. Hawaii is just catching up. Sad, but...the only thing that will not change, is change itself.

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If Wilmington is south of the Mason-Dixie line...you bet they are communists!!!! lol

headhigh likes this.
  18. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Whether a heartless capitalist or a bleeding heart commie leftie, shutting down the beach boys sucks for this reason. Modern surfing started in Waikiki, many of the beach boys have blood links to the Duke and other famous waterman who promulgated surfing, and it's just cool to have that history and tradition when you visit. I learned to surf from a beach boy years and years ago while visiting my sister in Hawaii. Maybe I just have a soft spot in my heart for them because of that, but I can tell you from living there, visiting and surfing there that those beach boys live the spirit of Aloha. They are a wonderful part of beach culture and it sucks to see how they're being treated. Last thought, Dive Oahu is so fucking clueless, they misspelled Waikiki in their marketing materials. Look it up.

jaklsurfs, heaps of Meh and La_Piedra like this.
  19. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh Barry, you need some warm weather up in the North to warm ye heart again.

Barry Cuda likes this.
  20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

All that is very true, and very nice. And I agree with points made by you and others.
    But obviously, your capitalist city selectmen simply don't give a damn if money is knocking at their door. And it is NOT new. Duke or no Duke. Everybody has a price. If not--they starve, or live in abject poverty.
    That is ll I am saying.

La_Piedra likes this.