Surf Industry Revolution

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by HiThread, Jun 7, 2018.

1. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    The SR CEO Chad Nelson had a question & answer session @ OC regional meeting a few years ago. I raised my hand since no one else did, asked Chad, Surfers founded SR but over the years SR has abandoned the surfing community which is why Surfrider was founded in the first place. So is SR ever going to focus on surfing again? You could have heard a pin drop in the room.

You would have enjoyed it "pump" but it had to be said and Chad had to hear it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    DonQ likes this.
  2. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Looks like Clowney got banned again.

He sure has a way with words

heaps of Meh likes this.

3. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Owe you a beer for that one!!

goofy footer likes this.
  4. cliff

cliff Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I’m still confused what this thread is about. Is it about the “surf industry” ? ...meaning the companies that market themselves as surf. You’re offended that Vineyard Vines puts photos of the ocean in their catalogs, because it’s your ocean, and they are not core, or something.

Or the personalities you claim are “fake” because they’ve found a way to make money doing what they love?

(FYI , A lot of “industry”
    Companies do a lot of good work for the environment. Do your research and support local brands. )

Or is it about being mad that WSL decided you can’t take photos of their women competitors in bikinis ?

Or is it about you guys hating on Surfrider Foundation because they didn’t bend to you complainers in OC?

You guys are some melty snowflakes. Use your words and get out there and make the changes you want to see happen.

Or complain about it on an Internet forum.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, SR did abandon surfers because 1) they got involved in other "conservation" issues, and 2) they veered way to the "far left" politically speaking. That is what is in vogue in California, I suppose.
    But, they did do surfers well by getting the PR government to declare a nice portion of Rincons' best surf beaches as being part of the "public trust" and placed as a "conservation" land. That was done, however, a few years ago - so there is hope for them yet.
    I would venture to say that now, the group may be getting corrupt by money. That, however, remains to be proven in the future. Hope they survive as useful group for surfers; too much to lose if they don't.

goofy footer likes this.
  6. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    a lot of it depends on local chapter focusing on local issues but as a whole, surfrider abandoned the surfing part of their charter.

LBCrew and goofy footer like this.
  7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Around here they have only accomplished a "clean up the beach day" by recruiting all the local yoga twits to pick the place up. Whoopee.....

heaps of Meh likes this.
  8. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

heaps of Meh and La_Piedra like this.
  9. goofy footer

Sep 23, 2010
    That's what its come to, what a shame the only National organization to support our interests for a clean ocean, clean beaches much less preservation of surfable waves now just picking up bottles.

I only found 4 cases on our coast of SR involved in Surfing; 1 in NJ, 2 in Florida and DE Chapter (locally) I tried to get OC Chapter involved as share the "break" but it fell on deaf ears, some Chapters "get it". The other National Chapters abandoned those causes have done so much harm to the SR mission and "Brand".

Recently the suit in Cali. against private land owner for beach access (SR won court case) and P.R. that you already mentioned. Surfrider deserves credit as the outcome would not have been so favorable without their involvement and funding. While I feel the frustration why can't they do more, I still support them with membership, they are the only ORG. that shares our interests. So we still need them its all we ever had and will have .........................

10. PhiloSurfer

PhiloSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    To HiThread... Please define "real surfers" and "soul surfers."

Please also articulate why either of these two categories of surfer would want to spend any time "trolling" any social media accounts, as you have suggested.

So, you "personally destroyed 3 mega douche surfers just by making fun of them." Sounds to me like very childish behavior which, in no way, lines up with the any of the positive spirit associated with surfing.

11. goofy footer

Sep 23, 2010
    Cliff,

We're not "snow flakes", constructive criticism, I spent 20+ years as grassroots lobbyist for several environmental and conservation groups plus 5 years for SR Chapter so not throwing mud at the wall hoping it will stick. My earlier comment about the "Surf Industry" is the major "brands" contribute thousands sponsoring the top 10 plus the contests but very little to nothing to orgs like SR. I was shocked when I inquired about this with Chad Nelson to learn how little the Industry supports them, now that's SAD.

12. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    dude he's gone. Don't take his threads seriously, this is the same guy that was ranting about Herlihy towing into head high surf at OCMD. Still not sure if he's having a laugh on us, or if Alex Jones has a roid raging ghost writer.

Just funny stuff either way

heaps of Meh and headhigh like this.
  13. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
  14. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Del surfrider is how it should be done. OC Surf Club does a lot for local issues.

goofy footer likes this.
  15. cliff

cliff Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Goofy Footer -
    That's fine, and good on you for trying. Not calling you out.

I'm trying to address the opening post, and figuring out how trolling pro surfers, or surf brands, helps anyone save or protect the sport of surfing, or the beaches???

Headhigh - what's your point, goal or intended outcome in this post, why are you trolling pros?? Are you trying to get the industry to donate more to Surfrider, or stand up and protect beaches ? Be better reps of the sport? Rebel against WSL? Because any one of those things would at least be a clear and concise goal. You have said nothing of the sort. Just complaining in general about "surf industry types" and how you want to deal with them, like we're all supposed to know what's going on in that head of yours.

Who are these pro's you trolled? and what did you get them to do exactly? Did they give up their paychecks and free gear?! Probably not.

Your rant is still a convoluted mess of whiney non-sensical brain spew. <head explode>

16. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Never paid any attention to "brands". Those who do remind me of branded cattle, without a mind of their own.

Never been much for "group think"/"group action", either. Was taught long ago that if I wanted something done, and correctly, to simply do it myself.

As for "trolls", the net would be mundane without them.

La_Piedra and heaps of Meh like this.
  17. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Why are you calling me out? Can you repost where I said all that stuff?

OP is a jackass who has been banned like 6 times, and he's banned again.

If you read the thread you will see that all of this has already been hashed out.

I posted the gif b/c you seem triggered.

You must be new to the internet....

La_Piedra and heaps of Meh like this.
  18. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I quit Surfrider Foundation after years of activism, because they got too fruity and wanted me to spearhead an anti-smoking on the beach movement with local govt. It's one thing to implore idiots to dispose their butts properly,and to get sponsors to provide receptacles and such. They went too far and started alienating common beach goers and stakeholders like fishermen who we share the ocean with.

Lately down here they are doing water testing once more (rain = bad). I may join againne to try to steer them back to their surfing roots, there is no other group down here to represent our interests, and beach access is No. 1 in my view, the condos and resorts are trying to keep us out, and private rich homeowners are trying to claim below the mean high tide line as their private beach. These fights we can (and must) win.

The water quality thing has gotten way out of hand, with Lake O and the septic tanks and the sugar farmers and the cattle farmers and the general population overloading the whole system, and sea rise intruding on our fresh water well fields. Need desalinization plants and a North Florida to South Florida aqueduct asap - 10 years from now we're screwed for freshwater, but that's for the Big Boyz to decide.

Back to the surf industry - they don't give a rats ass. The Zinn Bros have a gianormous compound down here in Manalapan, they don't give a rats ass. Jimmy Buffet lives here, he donates a tiny bit to Surfrider, just a token. I could go on, but yes, The Industry is for profit, short sighted, and should step up but won't. Why should they? They are not in the social engineering biz, they are trying to make a dollar.

Those that do - good on ya!

goofy footer likes this.
  19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Money talks for them; bullshit walks for them.
    The "surf industry" is a collection of parasites, rats, bacteria, and viruses--we should treat them as such. DO NOT let them sponsor contests, burn their hoodies publicly, put their trucker hats up their asses, and do everything to counter their comfort. Make it so as no smart person will ever want to be employed by them. If you meet a surf-industry person in a bar, toss your drink in their face- make a scene to bring attention to them.
    And that is just to start!!
    I got zillions of ideas!!!

goofy footer and heaps of Meh like this.
  20. cliff

cliff Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    My mistake , I thought you were the opening poster.