Tell me again why your boards start at $700

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by grainofsand, Jun 21, 2018.

1. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    "In the U.S., surfboards can cost anywhere from $200 to $225 in labor to manufacture. The manufacturer sells it to a shop for around $300 and the retailer will mark it up to about $400, according to SIMA’s Smith." nbcnews circa 2010

U.S. Inflation Rate, $100 in 2010 to 2017
    According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, the dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 1.67% per year. Prices in 2017 are 12.3% higher than prices in 2010. (https://www.officialdata.org/2010-dollars-in-2017)

In other words, $100 in 2010 is equivalent in purchasing power to $112.26 in 2017, a difference of $12.26 over 7 years.

Why is this so important to Grainofsand you ask? Because I still don't believe boards off the rack should cost more than $500.

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    550 for a custom from the local shaper...cut out the middle man

3. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    First and most important: if you buy a $700 lost, CI, etc you are paying for a name brand (period)

Boards don't just take foam, cloth resin and catalyst... You gotta pay the help, pay the power, pay the water, pay the advertising, pay for tape, pay for razor blades, pay for fin jig, pay for gatorskin, pay for sand paper, pay for all the shit your help fucks up.

I used to fix dings for a big-time east coast shaper. He's been in business 35 years but margins are still razor thin at $5-600 for a shortboard/fish and about $800 for a LB. He was making as much, if not more, on the ding repair than on the new boards. It's not a biz for the faint of heart.

Edit: I thought of more overhead. ...pay for CNC machine, pay 10k when CNC machine dies and you have to ship it to Australia to be repaired. Then the U.S. gov't wants to charge a huge duty to bring the machine back into the country because they think you are buying it, but you already bought it and already paid the taxes. Damnit! The surfboard game is a constant series of headaches from stress and from breathing toxic shit all day.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It's a double edged sword.

you can knock off a couple hundred by getting a custom shape from a lesser known shaper. This does not apply to "name" shapers like Frye and Christenson. Tyler Warren charges up the wazoo.

surf shops need to mark up their goods to pay for overhead. Buy your wetsuits online and have your boards shaped by locals, and eventually the shops will fail to survive.

capitalism is a tough business

Ghetto and Barry Cuda like this.
  5. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    mostly true, however shops mostly survive on selling t shirts, flipflops and baggies, not new boards and wetsuites

littlerhody likes this.
  6. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    ^shops make their money from softgoods and selling the "lifestyle"
    ^^none of these "excuses" hold water for the insane prices and actually opens the validity to buy Asian made Firewires/Surftechs that at least hold up.
    ^^^keep drinking the kool-aid

7. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Sounds to me like SIMA's Smith is a dumbass. Those prices are way too low. Thats literally what those BS indo/china popouts cost, not a new handshaped board.

headhigh likes this.
  8. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    ^look at eastcoastsurfsupply or ezfoam "Superbust" boards do not cost that much to make

9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Sounds like you have an axe to grind

superbust, headhigh and Kyle like this.
  10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Prices are set to what the market will tolerate or bear.
    If you refuse to pay for a top makers brand name, buy a Firewire. I think those are shit boards, myself. Have I surf on one?? Yes I have; and Im seriously under impressed.
    Having said that, in surfing, I don't buy according to price; I buy what I like. In cars, price will influence me. So, I'm not in an expensive german car, etc., even though I know they are way better quality than most jap or gringo cars.
    Para el gusto se hicieron los colores. (For taste, colors were made)

LBCrew and sisurfdogg like this.
  11. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Oh that's just because you love poly Barry! Own a couple FW's and love them both. Only complaint is the glassing on the LFT's, not so awesome.

12. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    [​IMG]

Barry Cuda likes this.
  13. Ghetto

Ghetto Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Support your local builder.

As previously stated, there's a lot of random stuff that goes into a surfing board like razor blades, tape, acetone, rent, electricity, etc.

With the Clark crash in '05, the major peddlers seemingly pulled a fast one and started charging (based off my fading memory cells) an additional $200-$300 for boards.

Blanks are now a bit more expensive at $40-$80 more than their Clark replacements.

Whatever. The moral of the story is support the little guy, because like headhigh said: you're paying for a name.

Another hidden cost for you is transportation.

littlerhody and headhigh like this.
  14. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I've been tempted to glass on a CI logo next boart I make, so I can take it to a fancy surfshop and put it on consignment after I've ridden it to death, and still get $350 for it.

Kahuna Kai, headhigh and Ghetto like this.
  15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Hey...I AM a poly-whore!!
    I admit it!!!

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

But if, imho, all my local builders truly suck.......I will order from far far far away for a mo' betta board. Cost be damned.

antoine and Ghetto like this.
  17. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Do you want have a conversation or do you want us all to agree with you about how surfboard shapers are evil money grabbers? I know a few shapers and they aint rich by any stretch of the imagination.

OK lets see here: You cite surf industry info from an NBC news article... from 8 years ago. That information is outdated and irrelevant.

Yes, inflation happens, but there are stronger market forces at play. Example: GPUs for computers. Does inflation explain why a GPU now costs 4 times as much as it did in 2010?

Finally, talking in the third person is the most fuckwit jackass thing you can do.

Peace

jaklsurfs, Kahuna Kai and Kyle like this.
  18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  19. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    Finally, talking in the third person is the most fuckwit jackass thing you can do.

Peace[/QUOTE]
    ^ you're making the kool-aid

20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    every shaper i know barely is getting by.