Rookie questions

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Betty, Jul 17, 2018.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Sand in the hot sun works great for patches of wax, but I've never tried it for a whole boart. Sounds too gooey.

Betty likes this.
  2. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    It gets really runny and gooey but you literally can just fling the soupy wax off the boart and then the towels clean it up easy. Point was already made about leaving board out too long and is very GOOD point lol

sisurfdogg and Betty like this.

3. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Flour. After you remove the bulk of the wax (i use the sunshine method mentioned earlier) sprinkle flour on board which will stick to wax leftovers/residue. Wipe off with paper towel. Will look brand new. Note: apply flour outside or in area you dont mind looking like a cartel kitchen

4. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Sounds good in theory. I like a more controlled environment. It’s like a ritual.

What do you do with wax on the beach? I guess either way we “dispose of it”.

A house I lived in for a few years had a ledge/trim design around family room. We had a perpetual wax art barrel that metamorphosed into various sections set up on ledge!!!

#waxfax

5. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Barry would call you all morons.
    It works.do it quick. Makes big ugly wax ball. No soup. People pay me. I have it down to a science. Hot sun to soften wax but not totally melt it. Takes 5 minutes to do an entire board, tops.

6. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    No. No goo. Go fast.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  7. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    The most totally controlled environment imaginable. Been doing it for over 40 years. I can do 2 or 3 boards spotless, cooled and stored in a 1/2 hour. The hot sun and sand part is like 5 minutes of the process. The key is to scrape the bulk as soon as it starts to soften.

8. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    My system has the board all done and in the a/c before it gets that hot, so, no, no goo, no soup. Work fast.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Putting my board in the sun is the only way I've ever removed wax.

Surfing 101, up there with learning to tie leash knots

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes to "leaves a residue"... No to "hard to remove"... After removing the adhesive with WD40, wash the boart with dish detergent and warm water. But the devil is in the details:

I'm doing a restoration job on a prone paddleboard for a guy now. The original builder glued 1/2" sponge neoprene to the deck for padding. I used a wide, metal spackle blade to mechanically remove as much of the foam as possible, then took an orbital sander to the rest of the foam using a 40 grit disk. I went at it carefully, and got it down to just a thin, spotty layer of adhesive so I didn't sand through to the actual deck of the board.

With the adhesive only exposed, I sprayed with WD40 and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I went at it with a steel wool pot scrubber... again, going carefully so as to not damage the board. When I went as far as I could with the steel wool, I wiped down the surface and sprayed again with WD40, and again let it sit for a few minutes. Then I removed whatever was left with a rag, just working at it hard until it all came off. Then I filled a bucket with hot water and dish detergent and scrubbed it down with a Scotch Bright pad, rinsed it off, then washed it down again with a sponge. Squeaky clean for repair work. Before and after pictures below.

I then cut out all of the rot (it's EPS/Epoxy), filled with epoxy/microballoon filler, patched all the dings, and sanded the whole thing. Next I'll spray it with high quality acrylic latex paint (aquamarine color), then hotcoat over that. Final step... install a drink holder!

IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0538.jpg

11. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  12. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

13. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I know i'll get some flack for this but, I use a comb, then a hair dryer to soften, then paper towels to wipe the excess. Then I use 50 grit sandpaper to get the remaining wax off. Works like a charm! Okay, don't really use 50 grit. Ha But seriously, I have been using the hair dryer for years and boards have been fine. I keep it moving so I am not cooking 1 spot.

Betty and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  14. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I had no idea a whole thread was needed to discuss removing wax. Place boart in sun for 5 minutes, use black komb thing to remove dirty old wax then rub new yummy smelling wax on

Betty and La_Piedra like this.
  15. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    What if it's winter time?

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  16. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    It works.

17. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Elbow grease

Zeroevol and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  18. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Blow tourché

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't change wax in the wintertime. I just put the soft sticky stuff right over the hard summer wax, and change wax in the spring.

Betty, Zeroevol and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  20. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    im the same...I use the wax comb to rough it up in winter and put the winter wax over. some boards get more love than others. sometimes I will just use comb while the wax is hard and comb it out real good...dust off the crumbs and add new wax...fresh'n it up!

Betty and DawnPatrol321 like this.