Shark Encounters

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Just never saw such an angry shark before, something obviously pissed him off to make him act that way. He hated that fisherman.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah the video cut away and then suddenly he was under attack. I dunno though, people in kayaks seem to get attacked every now and then. Hard to tell.

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

Yankkee, DonQ, MrBigglesworth and 4 others like this.
  4. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. Notaseal

Apr 18, 2015
    Ronda Rousey -n- Mako Shark Sun July 22, 10 PM.

6. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Rhonda Rousey -n- Bigglesworth tonight after lights out...

Notaseal likes this.
  7. Notaseal

Apr 18, 2015
    Don't Bum My High

8. Notaseal

Apr 18, 2015
  9. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Ran into this guy fishing yesterday. Not sure why it keep turning the pics sideways.

image1 (1).jpeg image2.jpeg

10. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Wavestrom likes this.
  11. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Sunday took BassMon to Nor’Easter Surf Shop and owner was talking about surfers down the cape getting bumped every day now... it’s mostly juvenile whites I guess but at 10-12’ that means a pisshole in the snow if they decide to bite instead of bump. Seeing one 50yds away swimming by ignoring me was one thing - getting bumped around would be quite another. I’d need a new wetsuit

Notaseal and Yankkee like this.
  12. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    One fine autumn weekday morning last year I was sitting on my boart a few miles down the wild side. No one around, literally for a couple miles each way. Just the way I like it.

Out of the corner of my eye, saw something yuge breach & crash into the ocean several hundred yards out. Turned to it - - againe it went - - absolutely gigantic manta ray with the black & white face, breaching & soaring across the ocean & then smashing into the water.

All of a sudden, a large fin cuts the water about 60' feet away from me. That's the moment, when one starts blithering out loud to oneself, for me it was ahhhhhhh, shiiiite, awwww, c'mon, no wayyyyyy, dammmmmit, as I pulled my hands & legs up onto the longboart & lay still, heart pounding.

The fin is at least 2' above the surface of the water, cutting fast in a diagonal line away from me in a tracking line to intercept the manta ray. And then it submerges. And I spend the next several minutes having a wacko intense convo with myself as I lay on my boart.

Eventually I just started surfing againe.

Got to shore, googled 'what are the natural predators of manta rays.' Found out that manta rays can go 35' across wingspans. Wow. And that mantas have only two natural predators: one being the human virus. And the other being great whites.

Sidenote: the more I thought about it, the more I believe whitey was slowly cruising around mulling over my legs for a snack, or not. That shark was so close to me when he came up.

Never been a recorded shark attack in Maryland. Which only means one thing, depending on one's outlook. That you'll never get hit. Or, that you're about due.

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have had encounters similar to this, that feeling I remember like it was just yesterday. Eventually you gotta go in, or keep surfing. Either way you’re putting arms back in the water and praying you are somehow sneaky enough lol as if they don’t already know. Just have to accept the consequences of moving. Yeah, good times.

14. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Excellent narration man - I was there with you. And yes, being a reasonably sound minded individual, you know you had been a possible menu choice for a while... that’s the worst part. And Maryland was where that huge biotch was swimming around last year right? The 20’ female?
    It’s amazing they haven’t had anybody get hit down there - it’s lively with more than just whites too.
    I always think pizza box when I remember that guy swimming by me on his way to Minot lighthouse/seal central...fin as big as a pizza box.

DawnPatrol321 and Yankkee like this.
  15. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Yah, Maryland is where Mary Lee was tracked on Ocearch. As well as Jax beach & a yuge number of other locations from Nova Scotia to Cuban waters, sometimes as close as 75' off the beach. The range of these animals is incredible.

https://www.ocearch.org/tracker/?list

I just don't think that we're on the genetic menu plan for The Landlord when we're surfing. I can't come up with an appropriate analogy at the moment :confused: but unless it's a place like Reunion Island's St Leu beach it seems to me that the bites are rogue or investigative or mis-fires.

Unfortunately, a shark 'testing' a human with a chomp = adios human viral at times.

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  16. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    [​IMG]

This pic freaked me out. Idk how I'd feeling about getting back in the water after knowing I was that close to that beast. We see black tips and spinners around us all the time down here, but that is a freakin monster.

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  17. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Mmmmmkay, thanks Kyle. Love ya man.
    Are you TRYING to ruin my stoke here??
    o_O

Jk

18. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    To surf with those beasts in the water wearing a 5/4....you guys have plenty of stoke!!

19. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Ok, touche’

20. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    When we are donning the 5/4 suite, the grey suites have departed for warmer locals. This is what the data suggests.