Last minute trip help

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Kyle, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011

Senor Tard, thanks for the heads up, but I will be flying in San Jose and staying at a friends camp is Esterillos for 5 days. Then flying into Panama City to start the expedition.

metard likes this.
  2. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    So the Nica situation isn't get any better, so def doing the Panama trek.

Just curious if any of you have any history driving in Panama. Seems to be pretty easy aside from the lack of signage.

3. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Also anyone surfed around Santa Catalina or Playa Venao? Which has more spots to offer, have to choose between spending 2 days in one of those spots.

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    went to Panama about 10 years ago in March. Pacific side. We took buses from Panama City, but the main highway along the pacific all the way from PC north to near David seemed like driving it would have been fine. We stayed at the Morro Negrito surf camp.

This left got really fun, but was super tide dependent. Low tide only, then high tide would shut it off fast. [​IMG]

This is me dropping into a right at a spot that got more swell, but was high tide only. We caught it about like this every morning.
    [​IMG]

5. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I've driven many, many miles through Panama. It's relatively straightforward and the roads are generally in great shape. However, whatever you do, DO NOT drive through Panama City especially if you are arriving or departing on or near the weekend. You will be totally confused and be prepared for MASSIVE delays. What we did and what I would suggest anyone going do is arrange for pick up and drop off from the airport to the town of Coronado. Rent you vehicle there and be on your merry way. I generally try to avoid crowds so we skipped Catalina and based ourselves somewhat near Venao. Venao was OK as you can spread out and the level of surfing was just soso which made for a less agro vibe. There are alot of other breaks in the area if you have your own vehicle and we surfed those more than Venao. Even got in a couple solo sessions. If you surf Guanico definitely make plans to eat at the restaurant on the beach. It's a go to spot for the locals and it's super cheap with really good fish dishes and cold beer. You can even wear your wet trunks. If I ever moved outside of the States it would be to Cambutal so it's definitely worth checking out too. Most beautiful place I saw in Panama but it can get brutally hot! I really dug Panama and don't believe you'll be disappointed.

6. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    NICA, thanks for the info man! Probably going to stay in Venao, right in the bay. Have my own vehicle. If I only have one day in the area, any sure fire spot to get a tasty wave or two?

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Try the river, and just don't mind the few 18 foot crocs swirling around you.....

8. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I don't think you're too far off base here. We surfed a remote rivermouth where we were the only people at this particular beach (was given it's location from someone we trusted) While out I caught a glimpse of something that just didn't seem right and my sixth sense spiked big time. I've never gotten out of the water faster in my life! To this day I can't tell ya if that's what it was for sure but if I had to put money on it I'd say yes.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Oh, they are down there alright, and, you probably got out just in time.
    You see, I don't mind the occasional shark swimming by--we are NOT on their menu.
    But crocs....we are definitely on their menu. The death roll would suck, as they stuff you under a log to eat later on.
    Two months after I left CR, an American surfer got hit EXACTLy where I was surfing--he waited for 90 minutes for the "ambulance" ( nothing more than an expensive taxi cab). He survived, but maimed for life. I did a lot of extensive internet searching, and found that CR government does NOT publicize croc attacks. Neither does Nicaragua, Panama, etc. Collectively, they get quite a few attacks annually, but "shhhhh....don't let the gringo tourists know". And all your "surf camps" are complicit, bar none.
    It is a risk of surfing Central America. I will go elsewhere.

Edit: I quickly looked this up:
    The incident was the third crocodile attack in the Playa Grande Estuary since 2013, and the seventh reported attack in Costa Rica this year. Despite its small size and population, Costa Rica is tied with Brazil for the most reported crocodile attacks in the Americas this year, according to CrocBITE, which compiles reports of croc attacks worldwide.

Never in the news.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018
  10. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    You just LOVE spreading sunshine, don’t you Barry.

Barry Cuda and antoine like this.
  11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Do you prefer to stick your head in a barrel of ignorance??

nopantsLance likes this.
  12. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Basically I'll have one full day in either Cambutal or Playa Venao to surf. NICA, where would you suggest?

With Panama having such crazy tide swing (6ft+) don't think I'll be able to hit both and score in the same day.

13. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You never know dude. If you were stuck with that notion in my neck of the woods, you'd never score lol. Seriously, you can surf one spot here at high tide, then drive a half mile away and catch another spot at low tide. And they're both sandbars.

Do some more research, you'll find out where your best chance to surf will be. Fuck, it's the internet, ya know?

sorry dude, if you were going to Mex I could probably shoot you a couple of pointers lol

14. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Kyle - don't be skeert
    [​IMG]

La_Piedra likes this.
  15. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    All fair points, but we all know a spot in our area that picks up swell better than most. Just wondering which NICA would suggest. Which spot should I hit first and if there are good waves there, I'm staying. Never leave good waves.

La_Piedra likes this.
  16. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Better yet, Mitchell where was the low tide left and that high tide right?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  17. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    near the Morro Negrito surf camp. probably the two main waves nearest to the camp.

Kyle likes this.
  18. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Well I decided to stay in Playa Venao, so Morro Negrito is a little too far for a quick strike. Thanks for the intel though Mitchell

19. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Definitely go to panama both coasts are pumping right now. Skinny country you can surf bocas del toro and the pacific side. I stayed at a camp once on an island there waves were super fun every day. Panama is a winner and in many ways better than Nicaragua

La_Piedra likes this.