Shipping a board from california

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by ripsurfin, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ripsurfin

ripsurfin Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    so im going to california this summer and am planning to buy a fish there instead of taking my boards, and then get it shipped back to MD. anyone know how much this typically is? or any other information on how to do it?thanks :)

2. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    It all depends

Are you planning on air, or ground shipment? If you fly with a board, many airlines can charge as much as another full fare seat. Too bad they won't let you just buy a seat for the board. Check with the surf shop where you buy the board, maybe they'll make you a "Buy-back" board deal, or someone who makes boards, like Stewart in San Clemente can give you a shipping cost estimate since they ship boards east all the time.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Icons of Surf is another great shop in Sam Clemente http://www.iconsofsurf.com/ that had tons of cool fishes. I was drooling over them and the owner told me they ship lots of boards to the east coast.

man i just checked their "on sale" boards...Gary Linden fishes for $500 couple of KG for $300. These are new boards - not used.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. ripsurfin

ripsurfin Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    well we are takin a train there and back so i dont even know really where to start,,,ha

5. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    You might want to check out ebay and see how much it costs to send a board from California to MD,This will give you a ballpark idea.Im going to say around $100.

6. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    You may be able to take it on the train for less than shipping. I'd check into that first. If not, I know Moonlight Glassing ships boards for about $150 or more depending on size. Greyhound shipping and some airline shipping services will take boards for about $100. If you must ship the board, I'd contact a few shops before you head out there and find out if they will ship it for you and how much they charge.

7. mofosurfer.com

mofosurfer.com Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Good call, in fact Jp opened up a new shop in funky Leucadia next to the LongBoard grotto... or where that use to stand... something along those lines. Check out the website blog www.surfysurfy.net and he will have some incredible boards posted there. He should have his contact info there. If not, call his mother Sally at the Moonlight shop Phone: 760-942-3319. Email: moonlightglassing@gmail.com and the website is www.moonlightglassingsurfboards.com. Oh, and they are family owned and operated. You might recognize a couple shapers names that put their boards through this company.

I'm a huge fan and have had almost all of my boards glassed there. The only boards that I have that were not glassed there were gifts from other people that didn't know my preference. Great people, incredible work. Your board will last longer being glassed there too. It's well worth it.

8. RB.Surf

RB.Surf Member

Dec 30, 2009
    i shipped my first surfboard from S.D to N.Y. for $75.00.It got there in 2 weeks.The guy at the surf shop told me any board under 9 feet was not a problem for them to ship.

9. ripsurfin

ripsurfin Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    niice, did the surfshop ship it for you? like how did that work?

10. RB.Surf

RB.Surf Member

Dec 30, 2009
    yeah,the surf shop shipped it out.

11. ripsurfin

ripsurfin Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    alright nice thanks!