FCS II on Lib Tech board?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by be.ach.soon, Sep 23, 2018.

1. be.ach.soon

be.ach.soon Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Got a question. So I have replaced some of my dual tab FCS fins on my Lib Tech board with FCS II fins. I had been riding the board with True Ames AM twin + trailer (dual tab). The new fins are the Power Twin + trailer.

Because of the way the fins sit in the box, the FCS II fins will be about about half an inch closer to the tail than the dual tab fins.

Looks like this will be the case with any FCS II fins in the new Lib Tech fin boxes.

Anyone have some insight on how performance will be impacted?

Photos attached.
    Original fins.JPG New.JPG

2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't get it. I understand what you're saying but are you sure thats the fin set up you want in the center?

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Generally speaking, pulling the fins back will lengthen your turning radius and add drive. It will feel less pivoty and less responsive, to a degree... but will generate more down-the-line drive and carry a little more speed through turns.

But you should give it a try and report back.

Might sound funny, but mess with your back foot placement and see how that feels, too.

4. be.ach.soon

Aug 30, 2015
    Twin + trailer is a pretty common set up on the Puddle Jumper. Been working well for me.

Do you think the FCS II fin looks off or the trailer fin in general?

5. be.ach.soon

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks LBCrew. I actually was hoping you would reply since you always have solid input.

I'll report back and let you know how it feels.

6. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    B.a.s, Not trying to jack da thread but wanted to expand the convo

LB you mention drive. Drive is something I have been contemplating with quad set up (if you recall you encouraged me to try the stretch in my 6’2”.).

So, I have (in my mind anyway) bifurcated drive with the quad (relative to the thruster and I think to your point about more drive with further back position).

The waves I surfed yesterday are a good example b/c it was good, fast, lined up(with some close outs), and barreling.

The quad had great “drive” down the line. Dropping late and pulling in from the take off...”drive”. Even off the bottom (as long as I don’t go to straight up to quick, if that makes sense)...”drive”.

But, coming out of turns, especially pocket turns with speed and power, there was not drive out of the turn.

I think this is were the thruster and the ‘further back thruster’ have an advantage. When you are finishing or coming out of a turn, it seems like there is more drive at that point.

Anyway, I know I’m rambling but drive is critical in good surf, generally. Big power turns in the pocket in good surf lacking drive, not so bueno b/c you are typically setting up to race too the next section...

Moral of the story, find your drive???

be.ach.soon likes this.
  7. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Thats what I was looking at. Im not an expert on fins but the fcs 11 look off .

be.ach.soon likes this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Certainly could be, JD... especially if you're pushing hard with your back foot. More fins = more drag if you're trying to do those snappy pocket turns off your back foot. I find it much harder to surf a quad like that, and tend to use a little more rail to keep the speed and flow going. Chances are you're using more rail on those bottom turns and carving turns, so you're maintaining more speed and and drive in those situations... instead of pushing that back foot hard to tighten the turning radius in the pocket.

Just a theory...

be.ach.soon and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I think that is a good theory LB. It really is apparent on tight power turns in the pocket. I have been surfing the quad in everything...even over head bombs last week. I guess the snappy snap in the pocket is something I need to finesse but it is hard (second nature for me) to not harness all that speed coming off the bottom and try to power through it. thx

10. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Sorry to offer you no help and ask a question, but I'm curious what Lib you have and what you think of it. I was looking at a few Lib/Biolos sticks and would love some feedback.

11. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    to the OP, from the LibTech site:
    lib.jpg

be.ach.soon likes this.
  12. be.ach.soon

Aug 30, 2015
    The board in the photo is a Puddle Jumper. Great board. It catches waves really well, is loose and responsive.

Got a little squirrely in the long period Florence surf but it is a small wave board so probably shouldn't have been riding it.

The lib tech construction has been good to me but it definitely is not indestructible. I broke a lib tech board on a 3 foot day. It also seems to get pressure dings fairly easily.

13. be.ach.soon

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks for that oipaul. The FCS II fins only have the far back option so looks like long radius turns and drive.

14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The more elongated the triangle is created by the three fins the more drive the board will have. Having the center fin further back makes for a more drivey feel.