Wave selection and timing

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by MrBigglesworth, Sep 23, 2018.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Today while I was out on my high volume round 6'6" NA round nose round tail, in dropping and rapidly degrading conditions due to wind, I was getting frustrated thinking I should have gone out on my LB. After a few initial rides I got too selective, got too far outside waiting for sets on an incoming tide, and missed lots of makeable waves just to paddle back to the "spot" which was no longer the spot.

As Yogi sez- 99% of the game is half mental. I pretended it had been flat for months and the ragged weak waves were an unexpected surprise. Sat well inside and got a steep juicy nugget. Redeemed my session.

your pier and MrBigglesworth like this.
  2. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    The best sessions and the worst sessions I’ve ever had have all been because of my state of mind at the time. I’m vicious on myself and if I go into the water thinking too much or that I need to “work”on things, I get too focused on one thing and forget all the basics - and then it’s hit or miss and frustration follows. Conversely, if I go into the water happy and knowing I can surf the waves I see - I kill it.
    And I often take waves that normally I feel I’m “late” on and they are great rides. One thing this season that’s compounded by new borts and new levels of surfing within reach - the swells were so far and few between its almost a desperate first surf and frustration comes faster.
    One of the things I noticed about Easton’s was there were three clear breaks: the inside, the middle and then every 15-20 minutes the outside would dish up some beautiful head high peelers - and that slow peel was nice to time it, paddle for a shoulder and there were 2-3 waves in each set to choose and set up for.

3. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    i often find my shorter sessions, 1-2 hrs, are my better sessions.

the times I go for 3+ hours most of the time I find myself waiting for the last perfect one. but guess what, it was about 4-8 rides ago.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Huh?? 3 hour session?? By then, up in Maine where you live, hasn't the water disappeared due to large tides? Or, aren't you now floated up to bed with the lobsterman wife?

Yankkee and MrBigglesworth like this.
  5. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    ah, fek, here we go againe

oh barry, you habitate aboot 55 nautical miles south, I can't believe tides are that different....unless trump finally deported you to the territory of Puerto rico - then yes tide changes can be a beyatch up here

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  6. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Man, where have you been?? Haven't you heard Trump erected a tidal barrier for NH?? We no longer get tides. He also focused lunar tidal pull to the Kennebunk area so the Bushes mansion can be f sunk underwater. We are now prepared for global warming by deflecting tides back to yous guys in Maniacland.
    Hap-pee Kwanza!!

7. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    over here on the left side, we've got a high around 10 1/2 ft this afternoon going to a low of minus 1 1/2 ft...basically a 12 foot swing. This is somewhat normal during this moon phase, and I've witnessed 15 foot swing during the height of winter.

Just exactly how bad is it in your neck o' the woods?t

Bay of Fundy?

8. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    about the same...today high of 10.5 low of -1.8

I think bathymetry and shallowness of the gulf play a big part as well. at a lot of spots around here when tide is out you have about 100-200 yds more beach from high tide line to low tide line

La_Piedra likes this.
  9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeah sounds pretty much like around here.

Conditions like that can make a surfer like a midget at a urinal...always on your toes.

nopantsLance and MrBigglesworth like this.
  10. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Bathymetry or bathyscaph is huge--you are correct. That and combined with DIRECT gravitational pull of the moon, which is constant as moon circulates over certain areas, but NEVER in others.

MrBigglesworth and La_Piedra like this.
  11. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Good bit of info -

12. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    there have been occasions when there's a 2-3 foot swell but I show up and get a pleasant surprise of 4-6 waves. doesn't happen very often, but when the moon is just right...

13. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    PNW?

yeah, sometimes trying to figure out how a place is working is poointless