Ben Gravy...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Dune, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Dune

Dune Well-Known Member

May 7, 2013
    This video popped up in my recommended so I watched it, skipped to the surfing part of course. Then right after he goes into explaining how he deserves to be on the Surfer poll?? This dude was actually interesting to watch a few years back but now its just ridiculous. "I make vlogs so I should get an award" is the impression I get. Then he gets his fans to spam Surfers instagram begging for a poll spot. Probably never got told no his entire life and now he's sad because someone didn't recognize him. I hate watching the HOBBY of surfing flow down the drain as everyone tries to make a dollar off it. Change my mind.

2. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I actually agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely jealous of the guy. He gets to do nothing but surf. But he's always talking about "for the dream" or whatever. Well i personally think that's a bunch of crap. It's his dream. Does he do anything for the people who are his fans? The people who make it possible for him to do nothing but walk around with a camera and surf. Iv never seen it. Alot of people on YouTube do giveaways and stuff. Never seen that from him. I just see people throwing gifts and money (by buying his merch) his way.

This whole vlog thing... he doesn't deserve a nomination. JOBs vlog is all surfing. Brett barley is all surfing. Don't know if those guys got nominations but i wouldn't be surprised. His vlog is not all surfing. He's just a vloger who surfs. Definitely a difference there. And he's definitely NOT on the same level surf wise of those two. He's got his own sector 9 board, super brand board, soft tops.... be happy that you got that and shut it about the nomination.

desandan, cepriano, La_Piedra and 5 others like this.

3. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I generally like Gravy, but I gotta agree with this post... He wants a participation trophy. Lame.

4. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I thought you got trophies and recognition for being the top few of a group? My bet? 75% of Swellies can surf as good or better than him.
    I’m 100-% with Bass... he’s just been trying to “brand” himself for years and now trying to keep selling the brand. At first it was interesting because he seemed legit average guy who was nuts about this way of life and wanted to share and encourage - then it became sponsor olympics.

If your gonna cash in on surfing - be fukkin good enough to do it without the “average Joe” schtick
    Selling it to the wishers. If your not, then be that average Joe who actually does it for free and lives a normal life where good swells are missed because of work or family requirements.
    Otherwise your the kardashians of surfing.

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Never followed the dude but have ran across a couple videos since people on here have brought attention to him. I would suggest anybody who doesn’t care for him or his marketing tactics just ignore him and don’t post any of his videos because every click puts money in his pocket.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    This thread should be deleted. That would be a great insult to any moron called "ben gravy".
    Please delete thread, dune.

7. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    I actually do enjoy watching the surfing sometimes. He's a good surfer. Just not a pro. It is cool to see your average competent surfer in our type of surf. But your totally right.

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  8. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I bypass every single vlog, they're all selfish and self-serving.

I bypass every single video of local and international pros because I find unnamed surfers much more entertaining to watch. Particularly at lesser-known breaks.

It's more about surfing and less about all the BS filler

Man Gravy lol

9. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    oh wow barrys back!!

cant say im a fan of gravy,i put him in the same category as guys like clay pollioni,tommy inhken,etc.like yea hes a pretty good surfer,as far as new jersey standards go.aint no sam hammer lol.

as far as what he did for the fans tho,can we really say any surfer did anything for their fans?i been a fan of a lot of surfers for a while,cant say they ever did anything to help me out.its cool seein a new surf edit every so often but that's about all u get.

everyone just wants fame now and with the internet and youtube,instagram everyone can be instafamous,if u buy the right followers.

that swell last Friday,a little child revamped my stoke for surfing.kid was probably 10 years old,probably 3' tall going into 8' waves by himself,dad on the beach,no cameras no nothing just pure fun for a kid.kid was charging too,like no fear whatsoever.theres a lot of great surfers that never get the recognition,not because they want it but cause they simply don't care.

10. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Just fkn paddle out and surf.

I'm so over internet "heroes".

Yankkee, whalejiz , pdub and 2 others like this.
  11. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    You should be, and so should everyone on this site. The internet surfing heroes are a bunch a self-adoring low IQ morons. Zero (matches their IQ) exceptions!!

12. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    *This* is why I won't watch vlogs anymore.

*This* is the type of unadulterated Crap that Man Gravy is directly responsible for spawning.

and to top it all off, he totally burns a spot that doesn't need blowing up any more...Just like all the other vloggers. (Yes, I know it looks like garbage...But that's not the point.)

very painful to watch, at your own risk

13. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    As far as the fan thing goes.... it's not about surfers giving back. It's about the fact that he acts as though he created this "community". .."nub nation", those fans are single handedly what allows him to not work a real job and live the "dream". To put it into perspective, i watch a few videos of guys in the HVAC field. Guys work on similar equipment as me, talk about the field, tools, whatever. Guys who work real jobs although I'm sure they get some extra from YouTube. Every week they do giveaways.

Point being the guy acts like he gave somthing to the community. Sure he's stoked and positive. But in reality all he's done is take. Im not saying he should do giveaways. I couldn't care less. Just saying he doesn't even throw anyone a sticker or bar of wax yet acts like he's given them this great gift.

Im with the other guys. I like watching surfing. The whole idea of a "vlog" disgusts me. To be so self absorbed to think people want to watch you live your normal life everyday.... that's a sick person in my opinion.

MrBigglesworth and La_Piedra like this.
  14. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I watched 4:02 of it because I said I would ... and that’s four minutes and two seconds of my life that I will never get back. In any way. Ever.
    Nice hair though.

Mr.Belmar likes this.
  15. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    I hate watching others surf cuz that means I ain't surfing. Vlogs, internet heroes, pro surfers - who freaking cares.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  16. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    You are now "dirty". Hard to clean off of yourself.

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I think... considering the bigger picture... social media has created more problems than it's solved. It should be consumed in small doses... like candy and booze. Otherwise, you risk it making you sick. It should come with a warning label.

Why is this even a conversation?

18. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    One of the most rewarding aspects of surfing is the escape from everything, esp poop like social media

19. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Its surprising to me that Gravy doesnt have an SI log in. Or maybe he does.... (unsolved mysteries tv music begins playing)

20. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    For the record, it is clear that Surfer omitting both Bret Barley and Ben's blogs from their nominations was a bullshit thing to do. Is it an anti-east coast bias? More than likely it is.

headhigh and be.ach.soon like this.