Ben Gravy...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Dune, Nov 24, 2018.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Trends are changing, but this started happening long before ya boy started taking credit for it.

I think the recession had more to do with it. People being smarter with their money, and rather than dumping 10s of thousands into a college education people started pushing highschool grads towards tracks that made quick and gainful employment more likely.

I went back to school in 2009 and I could already see that change happening.

2. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    and Daniel Pullen. Dude is excellent.

nopantsLance and CJsurf like this.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You may or may not be right. I don’t have the data to say for sure. Just going off what I have seen the last couple years. I never heard a President push the apprentice program before. Maybe they have but I don’t recall. At any rate, I think he deserves some credit for being a supporter of the blue collar workers and growing that segment of the economy. Let’s not turn the Ben Gravy thread into a political debate though. We can take that convo over to the Trump FBI tread.

headhigh likes this.
  4. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Very similar circumstance here. I work for a heavy civil contractor behind a desk most of the time scheduling, ordering materials, making sure the guys out in the field have the shit they need to do their work. I do get out in the field at least once a week but like I said, most of the time is behind a desk.

This job afforded me the opportunity to buy a shit-hole of a house and completely gut and renovate it. Still a lot of projects to start/finish but that is what I love to do.

I don't believe the desk job/manual labor stereotypes are as black and white as most would think... but hey... people are always going to judge. Just gotta do what makes you happy at the end of the day.

5. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    You got a time frame for that data? Reason i ask is this. The younger generation is sadly part of the issue i believe. I was just talking to someone about this.

Kids go to college and expect top pay right off the bat because of the degree. Get mad or whatever and change. Guy i was talking to was telling me about his nephew. Went to college for whatever, got a job. Desk/office type job. Well he felt he was above going to meetings. It's part of the job! He no longer works there. In fact pretty sure he's unemployed. But anyway i think that has alot to do with the numbers you mention.

This is where manual labor and desk jobs differ. And once again, not always. I don't want to offend anyone. I realize this is a generalization. BUT those kids expect top pay due to a degree. In a trade it's pretty much understood you have to prove yourself. I won't to college for HVAC after i got my criminal justice degree. With my HVAC education i could potentially be an engineer. But i wanted to work in the field. So i got a job making 10 bucks an hour. I was making waaaay more waiting tables. I proved myself, by the years end i was making 20 then got raises every year. Point being i realized my degree doesn't mean poopoo. There seems to be a disconnect there with guys going for deck jobs. At least with the younger generation

6. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm probably a kid to you and yeah I thought getting a job when I got out of college would be easier, but I still don't see my degree(s) as meaning nothing.

I mean, if you partied through college and did the bare minimum, then yeah, you prob didn't get much out of it.

I approached college like a job. I showed up early, did any extra stuff I had time for, developed great and lasting relationships with my professors. I feel like I went in a spoiled d-bag and came out a well-rounded intellectual.

My current job has nothing to do with the papers I wrote in college, but writing those papers taught me how to meet deadlines, do research, and collaborate to reach a higher goal. Those skills are what laid the foundation of my career.

College, like most things in life, abides by a simple rule: you get out what you put in.

Barry Cuda likes this.
  7. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Completly agree. By the way, im 29.... the kids im talking about are people my age and younger. This is a half side rant, but i actually hate the word millennial. Because although there's plenty of people who fit the stereotype, but there's plenty who aren't like that. And we get bunched into that category based soley on age. That's the end of my side rant. But yeah, i see it alot with people that age.

When i first went to college for criminal justice, i didn't do bad but i didn't do good either. I really didn't know what i wanted to do and was just doing it to do it. The second time for HVAC, i treated it like a job like you mentioned. I was also older. 24? Somthing like that. To tired to do the math.

But that's the thing man. It's not that a degree means nothing. Obviously it was an educational experience. But what i meant was the people who just go through the motions just to get a piece of paper... yeah it means nothing. An employer isn't going to pay top pay just because of a degree. You need to prove yourself first. If your the type of person that treated college like a job and actually gained somthing, then yeah the degree means somthing. But the employer doesn't know that. It means nothing to them. Output and capabilities. That's what they care about.

Perfect example. I went to college with a guy who ended up working with me. Im the lead mechanic. This kid couldn't do anything. He had the smarts and the knowledge. Had a degree. Couldn't do it in the field though. He's degree means nothing

headhigh and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Experience > book education

headhigh likes this.
  9. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Exactly. It's simple. You prove yourself, you get the pay. You got to work for it. I don't understand why people can't just accept that and put in the work. Instead they cry and complain and quit and move on to somthing else

headhigh and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  10. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    We are 100% on the same page. Could not agree more. I'm 30 by the way. My colleagues call me the "anti-millennial" haha. I hate being lumped in with that non sense.

I also went back to school at 24. Having a couple years of real world struggle under my belt made me look at college completely differently.

I have a colleague right now, we are the same age but I'm a couple rungs up the career ladder from him. He's constantly complaining about his pay and status at the company, trying to compare himself to me. The thing is, hes a spoiled rotten punk with daddy paying the rent and the car pmnt. He is the typical F'ing millennial. What an embarrassment!

BassMon2 and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    My new employer never once asked me about my education, they were excited about my proven experience. That first hand experience is an asset to them. None of what I know about the business was taught in school.

headhigh likes this.
  12. KillinMeSmalls

KillinMeSmalls Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2014
    It's strange interviewing out of college. You are basically selling yourself in a way that has nothing to do with the actual job: I'm a quick learner type thing. It is a good feeling when you get to the point when you go into an interview and actually know you can do what they need.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Indeed. Best thing you can do is get your foot in the door at entry level doing whatever you can, and then prove yourself and work your way up. Too many people want to skip the entry level and shoot right to the top.

headhigh likes this.
  14. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    This is the true stoke! The glee! The talent! The pitts!

Well produced and I'm amped. Gonna get up early and get the LB and hit it and get my ankles slapped in the morning by crumbly background swell, but in my mind, I will be pitted, sooooo pitted!

The surf undergrounde is alive and well! Thanks CJsurf

15. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    For all you new jerseians

Just heard a new statistic

NJ is #1!!!

Get this- #1 for the amount of millianials still living at home with parents... wow. The quoted age was something like 18 to 34ish?

I believe some of that plays into the whole college/ trade talk... plus nJ is just so expensive... plus, well, the obvious

La_Piedra likes this.
  16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Brett dropped a new one. Enjoy.

17. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Watched that this morning. Got me super amped... Dudes a super human in the choob.

Now all I can think about are barrels. Need more.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Expert tuberider. Nice...

19. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Photogs are pitching tents everywhere over Gravy. I like good surfing, and I'd probably like Ben, but the boner for ben fest seems a bit much. Good surf is good surf, rider or not.

LBInjSurfer and La_Piedra like this.
  20. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    So i just found this guy on YouTube. Randomly. Got suggested to me and it was surfing related. Turns out this dude, i see all the time, is basically trying to replicate ben gravy. He's using his lingo, talking about positivity and stoke, wearing the gravy suit and shirts. It's quite painful really.

The kicker is this guy is blowing up every spot in the area. Not just by using the names of beaches. But recording obvious landmarks on his way to harder to get to sand bars. The ones that most people won't walk to. Doubt many people watch his stuff. But still. Going to have to have a chat with this douche canoe next time i see him.