What's Your Next Surf Trip Going to Be?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Totally Agree. For me its Mex.....still hundreds of spots down there that noone surfs. A lot of them are just random beachies, jettys, rivermouths etc that are not world class but fun and super consistent. Especially in Colima, Gurerro and Jalisco. Carib would be fun but it's opposite of my vacation time. Regardless, nothingg beats the feeling of searching out unknown spots and scoring...or even not scoring but just checking new stuff out.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  2. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Was just there it felt fine and nothing was going on...of course that could change quickly..by all accounts tourists were fine even at the worst of the unrest but who knows....

Kyle likes this.

3. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks for the on the ground report Uke, still thinking of going in August

ukelelesurf likes this.
  4. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Tractor life ain't some lonesome any more boys. I received a 2012 Troy Bilt pony after purchasing my house about a year ago. Since then my father handed down his 1986 Wheel Horse 310-8 garden tractor, and soon I will acquire my grandfathers 1951 Ford 8N. Oh, almost forgot, I married my wife back in November.

That said her and I (My wife, not the tractors unfortunately) are trying to plan some sort of late honeymoon trip. She is down for a surf destination. She does not surf but would be nice to be able to take her out for a day or 2 for a teaching session. Her having a place to learn is not a make or break requirement though, she just wants me to get some good waves.

Looking for a mellow left hander preferably tropical waters, and room for us to explore for a couple days. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, have been looking into Sri Lanka quite a bit but want to see if yall have any better spots in mind. Pretty big into history so seeing some historical sites in a tropical environment would be a plus.

5. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
  6. The Lonesome Tractor

Feb 13, 2012
    Boca Barranca looks like a fun wave, did a little research quick and noticed rainy season is from May to November with the better swell window being December through April? Does that sound about right?

Also, what i read did mention crocodiles and pollution from the river... real concern or no?

7. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Eff them crocs.....surf wherever you want to

8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    One wave I have not surfed but would like to get good. From what I have heard, it needs perfect angle and big swell to get right.

Have you caught it good?

9. The Lonesome Tractor

Feb 13, 2012
    Does look like it would be sheltered a bit being tucked in the bay/gulf like that.

10. The Lonesome Tractor

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks yank, but its hard not to wonder if you are just attempting to cull more of the human virus as you say.

11. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Some folks but not you LT :D

12. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Surfed Borranca once. Water was piss warm. Waves were ok. Waist high. Didnt see any crocs but this was before that attack made them infamous.

13. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    A note about rainy season. It mostly gets heavy aug-october with daily pass thru shower at the other times. Crocs do show up there from time to time and as a rule if its decent and no-one out you will know why.

MrBigglesworth and Kanman like this.
  14. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Surfed Tamarindo. Took the little boat across the river mouth where the guy from Denver got mauled by a croc a few yers ago. It's like $2 to go over & back. As the boat crosses the river we could see crocs several hundred yards upriver, which to them is probably no distance at all, sunning themselves on the river bank. Those things were big. My only thought was.... you couldn't pay me to paddle on my board across that river.

15. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    22 hrs to wheels up for CR. Looks like I'm leaving the polar vortex just in time
    :eek:

upload_2019-1-18_8-8-41.png

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    The one time I went to CR it was Tamarindo. I surfed right at that river mouth; took off on an 8ft wave went left. Where I took off, the water was cool, nice. After going up and down a few times went a long ways to the point where i kicked out. As I fell into the water, the water was 15 degrees warmer; I was in the river, exactly where that guy got mauled. I paddled so fast outta there, I must have looked like PT-109 trying to evade the Jap Navy!!

17. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Enjoi! forecast looks fun!

Pack the little airplane bottles of booze in a ziploc bag (im sure you know that trick tho)

Some tunes for the trip ;)
    Lonesome Dreams -> Strange Trails -> Vide Noir. All no skippers and very relaxing ;)

MrBigglesworth and Yankkee like this.
  18. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Good tuneage call from a travel vet, Scobes :cool:

As for the booze...also a good call but I go biz/first so it's all you can drink... since I'm booze-free for a few weeks longer it's just a larger seat.

MrBigglesworth and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  19. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    who needs booze when you have xanax

MrBigglesworth and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  20. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Enjoy the trip yank! Im about to give the surf a check. Hoping for atleast a thigh high wave and 30 degrees out. So yeah im jealous

NICAfiend, MrBigglesworth and Yankkee like this.