keel fins

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by mattinvb, Mar 9, 2019.

1. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    So the just one board for the rest of your life thread got me thinking about getting a new lis-style fish. Drove down to one of my local shops and saw exactly what I want. Old school deep swallow tail 5’4” x 20.5ish by 2 5/16 or something like it, gloss and polish glass job - suite little board. Saving started yesterday. Every keel fin fish I’ve ever had has had glass on fins, and all the ones at the shop had futures boxes. Started looking at fins on futures websites and saw they had a few sets of keels, and the same basic descrition for how all of them ride. Wondering if y’all have any experience with future keel fins and what are your opinions, which ones do you like best and when?

Notaseal likes this.
  2. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    On my first traditional style fish ever. I wanted epoxy and seemed weird to get glass ons with it so got future boxes.

To keep it to the traditional I put in the K1's. Old school keel shape. But light.

Big and upright. And they can hold in on bigger waves.

But I'm on a 5'8" x 20 7/8 × 2 3/4. On the size you're describing they might be too big. The rastas would be cool. Captain fin has some good cheaper options too.

Beauty of removable fins. So many options.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    mattinvb likes this.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'm not a big fan of cutaway keels, but the Christenson fins look good. I also like the Rocket fish fins from Rainbow, and the FCD Fish fins from True Ames. All of these are fiberglass fins.

mattinvb likes this.
  4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I've got a set of Futures Rasta keels and K1 keels. I like the K1 feel better.

5. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I have a pair of Hobie keel futures from True Ames. I love them. Very solid fin. They work great in my simmons fish and have great hold/release.

[​IMG]

6. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Which of the two is more drivey?

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    My shaper recommended these and a couple similar to these before I told him I wanted the marine ply Gephart Keels. Seems like a good fin.

8. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Nothing goes like Geppies

JTS and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I have been riding the True Ames Hobie keels for a long time, and they're awesome. I can't imagine how they'd feel with that cutaway, though. I'm thinking I'd go with something a little bigger to make up for the shortened base.

mattinvb and Kanman like this.
  10. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Just scored a sweet pair of rainbow rocket fish keels. Went by my local shop today (they told me when I got the board that they were getting a shipment of futures in today), and when they didn’t have the Rasta keels like they said they would, hooked me up with the rainbow fins for 50% off. And we got swell forecast for tomorrow and Friday, so it looks like I’ll get a chance to put this thing through it’s paces

11. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
  12. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Nice fins

Can someone explain the difference between a full foil keel and one that is flat on one side?

Turning, tracking etc

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Double foiled keels are not toed in... single foiled keels are toed and canted, which gives them lift and thrust, and stall at a higher angle of attack. Double foiled fins are stable and directional, and create no lift. Single foiled fins are more responsive and dynamic, but also create more drag at lower speeds.

La_Piedra likes this.
  14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Haven't met a Rainbow fin I didn't like. The highest quality fibreglass fin you can get.

mattinvb likes this.
  15. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    mattinvb likes this.