does localism still exist

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Apr 18, 2019.

1. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I remember you posting these and that swell. Firing!

There are many sandbars that you can score along the outer banks...this is a great example of how I have surfed when I go down there. Rarely need to paddle out in the crowd...

I actually really love going to Pea Island. Stopping and climbing dunes to scope it out from a bluff like dune...hoping to find a bar all to our selves.

DosXX, mattinvb and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  2. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    It's those little gems that make me love the OBX. I get the inside scoop as to what's been working well from my uncle. But i still enjoy driving down rt 12, pulling over when i see a cut through to check or drive slowly and look between the houses and pulling over if i see somthing nice.

Sure it sounds silly but around here you have beaches as in state or town beaches with lots and all that jibber jab. Sure you can drive around and dune hop to find a wave but it's not practical since you'll get towed if your not in a lot. And there are no lots outside of the beach lots. It's fun to really get to "explore" a long stretch of coast since im somewhat limited at home (if a break is a few miles from the nearest lot.....it's not happening).

Im thinking im going to be heading down this fall for my 30th. I know the northern kitty hawk/nags head/kdh area well. But might change it up and head further south.

JayD, DosXX and DawnPatrol321 like this.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah man, I know what you’re talking about. I like the KDH, NH, KH area for entertainment. I like it more further South though for the more quiet less congested small town vibe.

4. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Dang! this thread really took off!
    Well ya see, in Florida there is a difference between "localism/locals" and some white trash being white trash.

I've had my fair share of encounters with "locals" whom think they know better because their skin is leather and have less teeth than I have toes. I wanna preface this by saying I NEVER contest a peak if someones already on it. If you're surfing in North/Central Fl, chances are you can find a peak to yourself and have no issues. The problems always seem to arise when surfline, the all-knowing god, tells us it's gonna be "Good", and hundreds of people seem to show up out of nowhere.

The last encounter I can think of was this old dude on a longboard in Brevard who claimed he was being encroached upon by another surfer and then eventually me. He yelled, swore, and glared at us as we gave him every set wave, while sitting I kid you not probably 50 or more yards away. I eventually just kept on paddling down the lineup til I was far enough away, wasn't worth the escalation. Eventually some dude around my age who apparently lived nearby said this guy shows up on every good swell and yells at people for no reason. Apparently he was a Vet with serious mental issues who had just gotten out of the hospital THAT MORNING, which is why his head was still wrapped for some unknown reasons. So yeah, some weird stuff can happen out there in the pool, localism aside.

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    LOL You ever run into some dude who appears to have tourettes or something? I did one morning at the Pier (not my usual spot). This guy was cussing up a storm and slamming his boart up and down and nobody was anywhere near him. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen, but eventually I couldn't help myself but laugh my ass off witnessing the shit show between waves. I don't recall him ever catching a wave, just having a fight with himself the whole time.

Panhandler likes this.
  6. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    "We suffer more in our minds than in reality". lol sounds like he didn't make the tour this year. Was he covered in tats? I may have seen him once or twice.

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I want to say yes, sounds kinda like the guy you described, dark tan, rough looking.

8. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    Could have been. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just another Florida man.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    That's funny. Coming from NY i enjoy that small town vibe in that area. So diffrent, to me that's small town. In fact i love the IDEA of moving there but don't think i ever could just because it's so small town and opposite to what I'm used to here. I hear it gets crazy in summer but iv never been during the tourist season. Always there in ther off season when a few restaurants are actually closed for the season. But any who, reason why i stay up there is because i have family there, and alot of good eats. Was down there for my 16th birthday, guy who runs this spot called new york pizza pub heard that it was my birthday and threw me a beer. Didn't realize i was only 16. Had a full beard at 16. Go back to day what's up all the time.

Been going there a long time and know the area so always just go back there. Traveling south for surf is no biggie.

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  10. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    just read the entire title of this treade

localism at my primary spots does not exist, just semi noticeable vibes

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    You still alive??
    I thought you had been carried away and lashed down to a canoe and then tied to a motel roof by a bunch of angry French-Canadians??

12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Yea. That narrowed it down to about 25 different possible pull offs in either direction. ;)

Most people go where they see a bunch of cars on the side of 12. That's great if you want to surf with a bunch of people.

Yankkee and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Yesterday somewhere off the beaten path along Highway 12. Only 4 other guys out. Two different waves but you get the idea. Heard the Lighthouse was good. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same spot today. Last remnants of swell.

IMG_2527.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  14. Moon dog

Moon dog Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Every beach has at least one local douche canoe! Move away hone your skills then go back and snake them.

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Why are they surfing in their pajamas??

La_Piedra likes this.
  16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    When you are a goofy 13 or 14 year old and can do power hacks like this you can pull off the red wetsuit look. As for the rest of us.....don't try it. ;)

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

17. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Get it, Spiderman.

MrBigglesworth, antoine and La_Piedra like this.
  18. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Meh.

Nice hacks. Despite the self-adulation.

Would still get abused for the fruity suite. Life’s lessons. The kid will learn. Or he will learn the hard way.

Some of the 5 sisters like Siegfried or toejam or nynjjjjjjLo will yelp & whine regarding freedom of choice.

Tis what tis.

I don’t determine the playing field I just know how to navigate it.

19. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    wondered the same aboot you, homeboy

20. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016