No go places right now

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Banned for being awesome, May 29, 2019.

1. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Maybe that's what happened to Gruvi :eek:

eatswell, desandan and ChavezyChavez like this.
  2. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If the U.S. State Dept warns its citizens of possible dangers in a certain country, it's probably for a very good reason.

Personally, I'd stay far far away from the favelas in any part of Brazil. Those places are flat out gnarly.

3. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    If you do go, just stay out of the Irish pub. I’ve seen cops on shit drinking beer in uniform at the bar.
    If you do, say hi to cathy. She’s got some WILD stories.

4. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    they're full of it most of the time, for political reasons. we're being warned to stay away from China b/c of this and that (all about trade and taxes) and China warned their citizens that we have bad healthcare. maybe it's just me, but Venezuela is in a "crisis" yet i've seen enough pageants to know that it's prolly worth it

5. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    This is a strange thread.

6. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I was curious about Angola so checked the US and Canadian overseas warnings - they're for specifically the enclave of Angola north of the DRC and the inland parts where the diamond mining is. The surfing part is fine beyond the usual disease threats (yellow fever, etc...) and crime. Sounds like El Salvador at worst.

https://magicseaweed.com/Shipwreck-Surf-Report/3675/ image.php.jpeg

7. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree. Strange to lump an entire county or continent - i.e. Mexico or Africa - as "go" or "no go" when the risks are so regional, local, and related to behavior. My friends that have been to Morocco many times probably wouldn't hang out in center city Durban at night.

Wilmington, Delaware is statistically a dangerous city to visit based on murder rate, but i don't hear people saying they wont visit Delaware because of that fact, as much as i would love to see Indian River Inlet get a reputation as a place where outsiders might get shot :)

IDK...I've been hassled more traveling in Spain and Italy in cities (attempted shakedowns by punks on scooters) than in beach towns in El Salvador.

up to a point I've always thought its more about Do / Dont Do than Go / No Go

nopantsLance, eatswell and sigmund like this.
  8. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I live on the western corner of the Bermuda Triangle, people get lost here all the time, especially old farts that wander off their ALF, divers during mini season, and random boaters.

I just got back from Baltimore for a fambily wedding, no problems, people were very nice, but the crab cakes suck and the surf in the Inner Harbor was not that good.

My buddy who married a Peruvian gal told me Lima can be dicey if you end up getting dosed and jump in the wrong cab. Travel with a friend and don't order drinks from "local" bars. It's a trap to harvest your gringo kidneys. Great world class waves nearby - if you stay focused.

nopantsLance, eatswell and Kanman like this.
  9. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Yep. A perfect example is South Dakota. You go to the Black Hills (MT. Rushmore) or Sturgis and it's a beautiful place. Safe. A good time. You go to the Pine Ridge reservation and its surrounding towns, it's like being in the third world.
    Same as any big city in the U.S. of A. Like Philly. Old City and other tourist areas are safe. believe it or not, people are pretty nice in those areas of the city. Some other areas you have to watch your ass. Know before you go.

nopantsLance likes this.
  10. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Absolutely. My wife and I read an article before we had to go to Baltimore that said its the most dangerous decrepit place in the US. We stayed in Mt Vernon in a nice boutique hotel, walked the neighborhood during the day, saw museums, markets etc. Ubered to the National Aquarium and the Inner Harbor. Nothing but nice folks, a large police presence and a few random bums or opportunists out for a walk. It was safe. But like you point out...if we strayed we would have payed.

nopantsLance likes this.
  11. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Gruvi is the GOAT. Dude deserves a spot in the Swellinfo bordz HOF.

I always think of him every time I'm in Belmar and ride by 3 Brothers pizza. Sad to hear of his (possible) untimely demise, but that might explain why his conspicuous absence over the last 4 years.

12. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Oahu - It's definitely a no-go. Just STFA or vacate if you're already there.

I want some waves to myself when I go!:D

13. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Yup, once out of the capital you are fine. I wanna go.

14. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Mexico, southern Florida seems a little sketchy during the summer with all the shark attacks, Brazil and Duck, NC. I've been to Africa twice, once on the east coast and once on the west coast and actually felt pretty safe both times. Only thing that happened even kinda negatively was our personal hygiene products (shaving cream, deodorant, shampoo, etc...) being grabbed out of our suitcases on both occasions.

15. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Travel resume includes majority “religion of peace” countries (Morocco, Maldives, Indonesia),
    Countries that will soon be “ religion of peace “ countries (France, England, et al.), sketchy Latin America countries (Brazil, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Mexico, Costa Rica, PR, DR)
    and just plain s##t hole countries ( Kenya, Egypt, etc..).

We have no idea the amount of anti Trump hate that exists in the world.
    The world is a very dangerous place for a grown American man with enough time and money to travel around the world just to surf.

I’m not questioning any of you guys situational awareness, but to call some of those above places safe is just ignorant and retarded.

aka pumpmaster and nopantsLance like this.
  16. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    When I was in Rio in 2001 the violence in the favelas was out of control. We’re talking rpg launchers between drug gangs, not to mention the state sanctioned police hit squads that conducted night time ethnic cleansing.

La_Piedra and nopantsLance like this.
  17. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    No one has mentioned the Philippines, that place has good waves and narco terrorists and a blood thirsty regime. Hot chicas and epic surf in between cat 6 typhoons, I don't think I'd go even if I won a free trip on Wheel of Fortune.

...maybe I would if there was a Trump resort I could stay at.

18. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    The bathroom after my son leaves.

LongIslandBro and La_Piedra like this.
  19. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Walmart on a rainy Saturday afternoon

LongIslandBro likes this.
  20. MrBigglesworth