who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is happening?
    Well yesterday was interesting huh? seems like it lit up for few dudes here. Caught a bunch myself. Went to the same spot as last Thursday thinking it would pretty much be a repeat but it was not the case. The wind went offshore and the high tide had the waves breaking closer to the beach. Made for an insane shore pound with a ton of back wash. You would drop in and it looked great for a second but it was kinda brutal. Got into a thick dark barrel right away, tried ducking out the doogie door only to get clipped in the neck good anyway. Got a little more selective after that. Found a few rampy sections to do stuff on. The back wash made end sections interesting. Surfed until the tide swamped it. There was no dry beach.

The whole time out there I was thinking of where it might be better. Everyone I talked to that surfed those places said they were thinking the same thing. But everyone said it was better than they thought it was going to be and everyone had fun.

As always hoping for more. Happy Fathers day to all you Daddy O's.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Have to second the Guy from Delaware's experience in re the MD fucast.

Figured, I'll roll out to TPTSNBN & see if Thursday afternoon / evening brings a few chips. Uh, no. Onshore, hard onshore. Decent size, good energy, just wind destroying it. Caught a few but man it was hard work.

Didn't stay out long. Did do the seafood platter feast at a local spot washed down with copious brews.
    Campfire was so good. More suds.
    Wind rotated, hard west, brought 2 hours of rain at midnight. I waterproofed tent last autumn so it was pretty excellent being dry & looking forward to morning surf.

This morning. Looked great from afar, was far from great. Even several hours after HT, it wasn't very good. SE swell appeared groomed. Wasn't. W wind (offshore) was pumping 15-20+ knots & that just wasn't helpful.

Eh, gave up after 3+ hours & a few rides. Brekky @ The Pony. Cruised the 165 miles back home. There will be better days. Still had lots of laughs, all good @ TPTSNBN.

3. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Yank -
    The wind really beat it down this morning, we were @ 15th street watching this weekend OC air show practice, so kool. Did you see or hear them flying? A P-51 showed up solo, wicked plane, dropped down few hundred feet off the ocean fly overs. Watching the P-51 aerial maneuvers you soon see why the WWII P-51 drivers loved the plane so much ............

Yankkee likes this.
  4. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    G-Man, could hear the planes practicing in OC. Saw a yuge C130 go booming over Assawoman Bay & South Point - - so amazing. Hoping to see a few fighters zoom & boom our way, but not to be.

We are on the same page - love me some gorgeous lines on that powerful Mustang - - when I lived in Malibu, an LA owner of a sharp P-51 used to take his Packard Merlin powered gal up the coast & buzz the beaches. Friggin awesome - - and nobody complained!

goofy footer likes this.
  5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    So good this morning... chest to head high sets with offshore wind. Every wave a little barrel. At one point... after a really sick one... I said to myself... out loud... "this is CRAZY!" Surfed myself into euphoric exhaustion. Total noodlemind... and body.

Days like this don't happen often for me.

Hope a few other swellies got the goods...

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    “These are the days...”

7. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. "Anyone can be a father, but it takes a man to be a dad."

I made it to the beach several times last week. Never saw any epic conditions, but there were a couple fun days. On Thursday I got some sick shots of my buddies and John Oppito who shapes the local Rozbern bortes. Dude absolutely rips. See figures A, B and C below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sisurfdogg, oipaul, LBCrew and 3 others like this.
  8. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Also, I just published my weekly edit, "Small Spring Daze", on the Tube. Watch in 4k on Chrome or Firefox. Conditions weren't epic, but it was fun putting it together.

P.s. Next week I'm probably gonna put out a raw footage edit with some waves that have some bump.... Stay tuned.

9. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Nice Kanman.

Kanman likes this.
  10. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Damn near perfect sesh this AM. Don't know what's going on with this site but forecast was waaaay off. Which i already knew, if i relied on this site i wouldn't of been surfing. Anywho, it was stomach to chest with a shoulder to head high pulse every now and then. Mid tide. Light offshores. A little bit of a wonk or disorganization, but only slightly. Enough to keep it from being "picture perfect" but still perfect.

Sweet little high and tight barrel right off the take off, nice paced wall which allowed for some aggressive turns then a softer shoulder for a big cutback.

Im dealing with a bit of a injury so i was selective and didn't go on everything. But i caught my fair share then called it to head to work.

Beautiful morning, beautiful waves, great start to the week

sisurfdogg, Yankkee, DosXX and 4 others like this.
  11. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Got out early Saturday morning. It was clean, but small -- thigh and occasional waist high plus set wave. Once a little water came in, it provided lengthy lefts and rights. Initially, just a few peeps out, but eventually had about 10 on two "peaks". Caught my last wave after a bit of a lull in the action (swell was waning, tide filling in), but it was a nice left, a liner, that took me all the way in to step off onto the sand. Good finish to a fun sesh.

Post sesh pic.
    2019-06-17 07.55.26.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  12. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Friday was dope - surfed 6 hours or so. Consistent chest walls with a few barrel opportunities all day. Yesterday had some windows for the logs that were fun too. Heard this am was fun but didn't make it out. Hope to get some logable waves in the pm

13. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Got a cool tee shirt at the pow wow I was at on Saturday. It has a picture of Geronimo on it with a caption that says: "The Original Homeland Security, Fighting Terrorism since 1492"

14. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Got out friday afternoon in some 4-7' somewhat inconsistent on sets, got a few rides but my last wave in was the tits. OH drop into nice wall than power through a couple of suckup reforms to rebound off the oncoming section, whole thing went about 100 yds. ended up basically on the beach rocks and the rest of the 6 wave set washed me in. Sunday morning went out and size and dropped considerably, like 2-4' maayyybe some rare +, still got several fun rides and relaxing surf in.

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Got some weak knee high LB waves yesterday for a couple hours.

sisurfdogg, DosXX, desandan and 3 others like this.
  16. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Yesterday afternoon was glassy 2-3ft LB perfection

DosXX likes this.
  17. Panhandler

Panhandler Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Hope to get out later in the week, but sheets looking a little grey now

UnfurleD likes this.
  18. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice swell yesterday. Good to read who got theirs.

Missed the morning. Gotta work sometimes. Hoped to get a nooner in after but ended up lightly frustrated and hung up. Got home for dinner with the kids and was just going to call it a loss surf wise but with so much day light couldn't shake the need. Loaded up an LB and fishing gear and went to clear my head at a spot I had a feeling would produce one or the other.

Found sheet glass waist and a little bigger at the primo local with just a few souls. A friend let me know it was good all day and most heads were surfed out. It was a long perfect peeler but looked a little soft. The shorty's seemed to struggle a bit keeping up. The LB ( i was the only one on one) surfed easy and we had a good ole time. I had changed the fin out to a Velzy noserider and moved it all the way back. Felt the difference from a raked fin. It was cool. Not much time at the tip though, mostly way back on the tail and just using the belly to rock the board and do some drop knees and cross steps back and forth to about the middle of the board. Fairly long rides. Got a cover up on a bigger on as my last. I was the last one out. Longboarding waves like that puts a smile on my face and I let out a few woo hoos.

Turned out to be a heck of a sunset and with no wind it was so quiet. Slow ride out with all the windows down and some live Dead on the radio. Watched the fishing dudes on the bay but had no interest. Got home with a clear head and got a good nights sleep.

As always hoping for more for me and yous
    PJ

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    sisurfdogg, DosXX, McLovin and 6 others like this.
  19. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Excellent PJ...

DosXX, Peajay4060 and Kanman like this.
  20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same here, brother... Got a few little sliders on the log yesterday afternoon. Super glassy conditions, too.

DosXX, Peajay4060 and desandan like this.