Dear Adnim, What's Wrong With The Forecast?

Discussion in 'Community Help' started by La_Piedra, Jun 14, 2019.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
  2. KDHJB

KDHJB Active Member

Nov 14, 2013
    phew....i can go back to lurking in the shadows for a few years now

3. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    IT called me early this morning forecast was back up so I hope this never happens again but if it does I've saved all the contact info ................

4. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    did they roll out the changes? im not seeing any change in swell height.

goofy footer likes this.
  5. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It's not "fixed" completely yet. My fucast is showing flatline swell at shoulder high and reading 5'@7 seconds both of which are way way off off the buoy readings.

IT needs to finish the job by coordinating the algorithms for both the wind *and* waves, and possibly the tides as well.

It ain't over yet, buoys. Don't start abandoning us already

6. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    somebody might have flown their pride flag outside your window, might want to double check

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    WTF?? You guys are like a bunch of toddlers yelling that someone took your pail and shovel away from you in the sandbox.
    Give SI time to fix what ails SI...they will fix it.
    You don't want to start sounding like that idiot biden2020, accusing all sort of people for his inadequacies. SI will come through. Keep the faith guys.
    Talk to you all in a couple of weeks.

DosXX, nopantsLance and desandan like this.
  8. goofy footer

Sep 23, 2010
    Pump & L.P.

Another "swellie" noticed prior to forecast going gray the wind direction & speed was not accurate so their was prior errors so post some current examples so I can pass it along to their IT to check out ...........

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    That's may have been my Straight Pride Flag, its very colorful

superhappyfunamerica.com

10. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Why didn't he make his screen name "booker2020"... would have been a bit funnier

nopantsLance and MrBigglesworth like this.
  11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    SI update. It’s flat.

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm not convinced that a surf forecasting website can be run effectively without someone on staff, or available to them, with a working knowledge of how to forecast surf. It might initially be able to take raw model data and generate graphics.

What Micah did, and what no longer happens, is he took the raw offshore model data and downscaled it to reflect actual surf conditions at specific locations. For years, he constantly asked who surfed the day before, where they surfed and what the conditions were. This was all an attempt to create the statistical relationships between the offshore wave height/period/directional data and the actual surf conditions at forecast locations to refine the algorhythms.

You can point out an accuracy issue to an IT guy. Even do it a whole bunch of times. It wont make them a surf forecaster.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  13. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Whats with these giant fricking popups? Thank goodness the ads are still working, we might have had a completely non-functional fucast site.

MrBigglesworth and Mitchell like this.
  14. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Havn't seen them in years. Thanks Ad-Block Pro!

KDHJB and DosXX like this.
  15. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Fly a banner for colours...

16. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Farking Luddite here. Took a screenshot but don't know how to post it on the forum.

17. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Good luck sir

MrBigglesworth and nopantsLance like this.
  18. goofy footer

Sep 23, 2010
    SI changed ownership last fall, best of my knowledge, last year and now, SI doesn't have a forecaster. So the data we viewed last year up until "Gray Period" was from the modeling.

The 3.1 forecast for the next 7 days isn't right, we all know that..........:eek:
    So I'll wait to Monday to discuss the skewed data with them but like Mitchell said an IT guy is not a forecaster.

headhigh likes this.
  19. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    So... does anyone remember the dark times after Micah sold us and thus abandoned us?

Specifically the surfing waves prediction.

I bring this sore Subject up since I vaguely remember the surf forecast going to garbage for some time, then it seemed to get better. But there was another dark time in the history of swellinfo.com when they stopped predicting waves. And the waves stopped coming.

Maybe someone could find an old threade about it

20. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I find it funny how this place is like a history text book. The dark ages after micah left, the storm on MSW, the era of shredmachine, Roy and the bleff, sharkhunters terrorist video and sandblasters (i think) video with the Carolina cutback that turned the sand to glass, pretty sure there was a time when half the forum got banned, the tyranny of Austin, now the gray.