swellinfo google earth challenge

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 252surfer, Dec 17, 2014.

1. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
  2. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    A few miles north....

[​IMG]

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Here are some shots - secret spot. The canyon funnels the waves here- always bigger then everywhere else

image.jpg

image.jpg

4. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    that's some good lurking, Boner. I've done the same kind of searching in West Africa. You'd be amazed at the stuff you can find in Russia...it's limitless.

P.S.---don't try this in the Philippines, you'll turn yourself into a zombie.

5. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
  6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Ok, leave it to me to call bullshiiiiite here on boner buoy. How can anyone tell how big the waves are breaking from an overhead aerial from (supposedly) Google Earth? You can't, that's how.

Sure, the lines look great on those images. Bit Google Earth doesn't take the viewer down into the wave and / or on a horizontal plane. Ergo: impossible to discern wave heights.

Secondly, it's BS because these guys (especially highonlife, wtf sparky) are selecting known surf spots, albeit in remote areas (EX: Skeleton Coast, Namibia) and labeling them as 'machine like points & discoveries' via Google Earth.

C'mon, New Era Magellans of Geography, you're not finding anything credible, or new, and you can't prove it / disprove it. You're just staking a claim, that whole passive aggressive Internet crap that's sprung up in recent years, namely, hey, if I say it's so, no matter how preposterous, and YOU can't prove me wrong, then it is true!

EX: Venus has life; and since no one on earth can yet say that this is lunacy, then it must be true. Get it....?

7. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Still Yankee, it would have to be big enough to make it stick out from an aerial view. If we pan over to vb we can see how small it is all the time... **** I need to quit my job and just go explore the earth.

8. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Well, I agree with your latter statement 757. Lemme know when you're bailin' & I'm in for at least part of that epic surf trek!

The spirit of your Google Earth locate da surf breaks is positive & good. I'll leave it at that.

9. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    Somewhere in Jersey:

Not that big in the pic but def looks like it could have potential on the right tide and swell...

[​IMG]

10. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    More from the mid-atlantic

[​IMG]

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Is this photo intentionally doctored to throw us off? The compass seems to be wrong. If north is orientated "down" - in reference to how we are viewing the photo- then the land mass needs to be on the "right" of the photo. :confused:

12. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Its all about scale. For example that one with the oil tanker shipwrecked on the beach. Pretty easy to tell that is a head high+ wave. What you can't see is that usually somewhere out of the frame, there is a boat or a building or something. Once you have a point of reference, its pretty easy to tell how big things are. Also, you can zoom in very close, tilt the camera horizontal, and use the measuring tool to get an idea of how big a wave it. Probably not totally accurate, but it works. And call my bluff all you want on these spots not being legit... In all but one, I left the coordinates in the image. Check them out for yourself.

The thing is, this is literally the kind of stuff I had to do for school work. I'd have to be able to tell how large something is, what time of day, orientation, blah, blah, blah of said satellite image or aerial photograph. Once again, my major was geography with an emphasis on GIS (Global Information Systems/Satellites) and Remote Sensing.

And High on Lifes photos were from Somalia, not the skeleton coast, and the mid atlantic one is smith island.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  13. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    wow I must #9/13

14. Barry bottomfeeder

Barry bottomfeeder Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Dogmans! I grew up right there. We were so badass we had a lawyer on speed dial in case anyone threw our sh!+ in the water.

15. josecalderon

josecalderon New Member

Jul 15, 2019
  16. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I have always thought the guys/gals selecting the photos for google earth were surfers. Even the images of my local spots seem hand picked to show how the waves break.

I mean, out of all the seconds, minutes, hours and days of photos they chose images of it firing.

CaptJAQ likes this.
  17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    headhigh likes this.
  18. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Now we gaining some traction