New forecasting site

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by RyanD, Aug 3, 2019.

1. RyanD

RyanD Active Member

May 23, 2014
    its been in demo for a while now but finally ready for public release. Best of all-its free and much better than Surfline. Enjoy and spread the word!

https://acusea.com/

2. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    That's a pretty neat site.

What I like best about it is the guy who hosts it has grapefruits for balls...he put his name and direct contact info right at bottom center of the page.

No corporate shill here.

3. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Looks cool. Ad a San Diego forecast

La_Piedra likes this.
  4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Is Jeff Hanson still part of the forecast team? I've been involved professionally in some projects with the Corps Duck research folks, so I know of his work. if so, cool!

On the downside, its a bummer the forecast skips right over Delmarva, straight from Jersey to Virginia Beach.

kooklykook and nopantsLance like this.
  5. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Maybe not such a bad thing after all.

kooklykook, SCOB3YVILLE and Mitchell like this.
  6. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    If there was water temp data, I missed it.

7. RyanD

RyanD Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Yes Mitchell, same Jeff. They will be adding locations over time. Sorry scob, no west coast at this time.

8. johnnykans

johnnykans Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Seems like it’s still in demo phase but so far it looks great

9. SquezDogNight

SquezDogNight Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Not sure I want New England spoon-fed their forecasts anymore. It pumped up the crowds with app-related clowns.

Cwilyyyy likes this.
  10. Ronnie Mund

Ronnie Mund Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
  11. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Hard to beat Windy.com

La_Piedra likes this.
  12. RyanD

RyanD Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I hear ya, and to a certain extent I feel the same way. However, with Surfline cams going up all over the place those days are long gone my friend

13. RyanD

RyanD Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I use Windy and like it for certain data but falls short in several areas.

14. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I disagree, respectfully. Delmarva is full of cams that either distort the wave quality to the point that the waves look about half as good as they are, and spots don't have any cam at all and are in locations where no camera mount/power supply is possible so none are coming soon. Cams are generally sparse and misleading, and not significantly better in coverage than 10 years ago.

Also, many people who crowd up spots are driving in from PA, Baltimore, Washington, etc. These folks with a 3 hour drive aren't going based on cams, they are going based on forecast.

It is truly entertaining to see a large crowd show up at standout spots at dawn on a shitty knee high day when the forecast the evening before had been for clean chest high conditions. Conversely, the empty lineup on a chest high day when the forecast had been for small choppy conditions.

The days when people rely heavily on forecasts to make their surfing decisions are not long gone, and people do crave spoon fed forecasts. In fact, I would argue with the increasing percentage of surfers who live an hour or more from the coast, reliance on forecasts is higher than ever. Those people aren't going to the beach to check!

This website, with its red, yellow and green color coding so users don't have a go through the complicated :rolleyes: process of figuring out whether wind from a certain direction is bad or good proved to me that people do crave spoon fed forecasts.

I'm not one of these bitter old surfers who believe the internet has ruined surfing. But i'm pretty confident in this analysis, at least for my area.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I agree, I've been surfing since 2013 and before I would go the color chart had to be green and waist high and at my local. I never even tried to learn anything about wind swell direction or even which way the beach was facing and I never even knew where any sand bars were. Heck I never even looked at the buoys . Now that I have spent some time educating myself, I use all those tools and I rarely let myself down. I must admit I still look at cams while at work to see whats going on if that makes any sense?

16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    If you know the wind and swell directions your local spot likes windy.com is all you need. Obviously if you're looking for someone to hold your hand and show you color coded predictions its not going to work. I've found it to be the most accurate tool out there.

17. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I bookmarked ya

18. RyanD

RyanD Active Member

May 23, 2014
    That’s a very good point. No one could argue that forecasts bring more surfers. We have all seen guys from out of town standing on the dune at 6am in eager anticipation of a great swell. However, next time you get a good swell near you pay close attention to the influx of guys post 830-9am. Those are the guys that set their alarm at 530, look at the cam and either roll back over or sprint out the door.

antoine and Mitchell like this.
  19. SquezDogNight

SquezDogNight Member

Jul 4, 2019
    I agree cams are another root of the crowd issue, but forecasts make chowderheads from all over this rocky soil take days off from work. And you can forever about weekend swells-they'll SUP first, check cameras over cold brew later.

SwellInfo usually called solid swells 24 hours too early here-fun to watch all the appholes blow off work for onshore poop.

Maybe we could work out some kind of bro equation for this new site to confuse the others. Something that plays with time...

RyanD likes this.