Seal watching

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by jbwave69, Jan 24, 2010.

1. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Shouldn't they be putting out fires? Unless there is a bonfire or something, what do they have to do with the beach?

2. LBNJ Local

LBNJ Local Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Just like the cops busting on kids for stupid sh@t or us for surfing hurricane Bill.... haha

They're all on a power trip. Slap a piece of tin on their chest and they can do pretty much whatever they want. Fireman aren't as bad as cops; they just like to drink beer and hang out at the firehouse, that's why I couldn't understand them being such pricks. It was very humorous though, they made a human chain all linked up around the jetty to stop people from getting too close. I prob should have snapped a pic of them, but I was too busy laughing in their face.

3. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    But seriously, why were they in charge of the "event"? I thought they respond to fires and human emergencies. What do they have to do with marine life?

4. LBNJ Local

Aug 20, 2009
    Honestly, I have no idea. Seal are known to be agressive in some cases and people are known to be idiots. So, they were probably just trying to avoid any issues with the seal being there. You could have the jackass Benny from Pier Village go up and try and pet the seal, which would obviously not end well. Bottomline, they're probably just bored out of their minds on a Saturday afternoon.

It was funny that there were 2 firetrucks in the road, an emergency response truck on the beach, and a bunch of fireman making their human chain. The seal didn't give a sh@t, just trying to get some sun...

5. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    That's pretty ridiculous. I haven't seen any bennies in LB lately. Do you usually get them in the off-season? I had breakfast at Pier Village yesterday (Turning Point) and it was awesome. Then I had lunch at Sierra Taqueria which was also awesome. The only non-NJ plate I saw was Florida that whole time. Much nicer than the summer.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. LBNJ Local

Aug 20, 2009
    Pier Village is a Benny magnet no matter what time of year. Of course, summer is swarmed with the clueless, arogant, a$$holes but even in the winter on the nicer days. We even have what I call "local bennys," which are the idiots that have a summer house in deal or avon and try to localize themselves; NOT HAPPENING! My buddies and I were getting out of the water somewhere in LB last Monday and actually saw a group of kids playing in the water with just shorts on.... I have no idea what these kids were thinking, but it wasn't like they had their feet in, they were all the way in the water! This is the type of sh@t I'm talkin about when I say "local benny." You're just asking for hypothermia, frost bite, getting sick, or just plain drown...

7. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    That's just dumb no matter where you're from.

8. OBlove

OBlove Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2006
    fatty bob

there is a fatty named bob who hangs out at southside. i thought they were harmless but this fatty tryed to attack my brother after he smacked him on the back. this fatty chased him for about 15 yards before almost having a heart attack. he has been there for 5 weeks off an on. i heard he heads over to north side also. there is a bunch of them in the assawoman bay. they chill on the sandbars and they are seen every winter there that I have been around. I yaked out there not long ago from my house and sure enough, they swam right up to my boat and checked me out and then swam with me for quite a bit. they are around. u can see them and the fenwick state park-bayside quite frequently.

9. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    Haha, fatty Bob. :D

10. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Seals may look like Black Labs but they are wild animals and will not hesitate to chomp on you if you **** with it - and lets be honest, can the average NJ citizen who be trusted to use good judgement and leave it be? Yeah I thought so.

And its not just the gaping wound that its teeth (which are biologically evolved to crush clam and crab shells open) will tear into your flesh, its the E. coli, Salmonella, Listeria, Leptospirosis and Giardia that they carry and will infect you with - also a mycoplasma found in seals can cause “seal finger” in humans. This "painful and potentially serious disease can result from a seal bite or the infection of a pre-existing wound."

Then you have Seal pox a "disease of stranded seals and can be encountered in rehabilitation centers. It can cause pox sores in humans that may persist for up to a year. There is no known effective treatment."

11. LBNJ Local

Aug 20, 2009
    Wow Dave, I'm honestly impressed! You know alot about seals; have you ever been bitten by one??? Hope noT! You're right, the average NJ citizen would prob try and pet a seal, there are some dumb a$$ people out there (not just in NJ). Thanks for the education on seal bites!

12. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    Anyone who messes with a wild animal deserves what they get. They shouldn't need a human ring of firemen to save them from their own stupidity. Live & let live!

13. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    yeah, but after hundreds of encouters with these guys. Ive never been bit. They are completely non-aggressive towards humans. I have NEVER heard of a seal/human encounter in my almost 10 years in SD, the captial of seals in the country. There are more seals in the lineups each day than surfers, and i have never seen or heard of anything that you guys are talking about.... No bites. No attacks. nothing. Not divers, not swimmers, not surfers... So I stick to, yes they look like labs, they act like labs and they are completely harmless. Yes, if you touch on or try and ride one, it will bite you, but honestly, a human could never even catch one. They are so fast. Ive tried to reach out and touch them and they are too agile in the water....

If anyone has any nasty seal stories, im listening.

14. surfina

surfina Active Member

Oct 15, 2009
    seal in long branch (see attachment)

Attached Files:

15. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Seals on the west are not usually aggressive. Sea lions are though. And for some reason even though seals aren't aggressive on the west they seem to be more in the east. If you see a seal in the water here. No worries. If you see a pack of seals...well that can be a different story all together. They def can be unfriendly.

But i can say I never had a bad interaction with seals.

16. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    Gray Lab! :D

17. LBNJ Local

Aug 20, 2009
    Surfina,

Is that pic from the seal in LB? Sure looks like the one I saw.... But it could be that they all look alike... HAHAHA

18. iceybeatzjosh

iceybeatzjosh Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    f*ck these creatures.

they swim around me while i'm surfing, I get scared.. I swear they r gonna bite me one day

19. surfina

surfina Active Member

Oct 15, 2009
    yep, long branch. Charlie Unger took it. There are more pics of him in the local swell forum. Such a cutie!

20. LBNJ Local

Aug 20, 2009
    This maybe a stupid question.... Which local swell forum and how do I get there?