I have no surf friends

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by SandAss, Aug 13, 2019.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Fight the fight brother!! To me a LB is a white flag of surrender. I'm going even shorter!

sigmund, Sir_Ballyhoo and CJsurf like this.
  2. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    My boards may be wider and thicker but I'm riding the same length at 50 as I was at 20.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I was riding 6'2"s and 6'6"s in my 20s and 30's. Now I'm riding 6'0s and 6'4's deep into my 50's. Thank you EPS!

4. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Man, god willing I don’t plan on giving up on SBs anytime soon. Riding 6’2 & 4” these days...

5. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Haters. My shortest board is 7'2 but at least I'm riding...not as good as yous guys but one day ...maybe

6. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Ive got you all beat. Into my 40s now and riding 5'10"s most days. Life is good.

7. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Wait until fattness sets in.

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    How much do you weigh Bally?

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    No doubt my metabolism has slowed...the extra 15lbs I’m constantly battling.

sigmund likes this.
  10. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I never thought of it as a battle of age vs. board length, or any kind of test. I will paddle out on 7 and 9 foot boards plenty of times.

But i'm 56 years old and mostly surfing on 5'2" 5'4" and 5'7" wide stubby squash tail/mini simmons shapes. I just enjoy them in warmer water and when the waves are under 4 foot and soft which seems to be a lot lately.

Yeah riding boards now that are shorter than when i learned 35-40 years ago....which were like 5'8" twinnies/6'2" thrusters

11. Rob Gnarley

Rob Gnarley Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    All my surf friends are getting married and having kids. Most are too busy to shred anymore. Its easier to surf alone. Paddle out when you want, leave when you want, no schedule to force you to leave early. It has its moments. I like to ride a 6' board with the wide spot forward, under the chest. It makes the board more forgiving and easy to duck dive.

One hurricane swell last year, I duck dived this huge set. 6 others got washed to the beach. Somehow made it under. Shit evening duck diving in big surf is fun haha.

sisurfdogg, sigmund and antoine like this.
  12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    As long as the water's warm. When it's cold, it's a bee-atch.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    My mini simmons is 5'4... that's as short as I've ever gotten, but that's a specialty shape. My next board up from that is a 6'0 fish. But I'm 6'1 and 190lbs.

14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I always rode boards that were a 3 to 6 inches taller than my height and when things went to where most were riding their height or a little shorter I never adjusted. I've never found a board my height or shorter that I really liked.

LBCrew likes this.
  15. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    185 in summer. 195 in winter.

16. SandAss

SandAss Active Member

Jul 9, 2019
    So what I have taken from this is that really my surf friends are my surfboards. I've had surf friends this whole time!!!

Notaseal likes this.
  17. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Pretty much. There are very few people I can tolerate surfing around. For the most part I'm wishing everyone would get out of the water and let me have it to myself.

SCOB3YVILLE and LBCrew like this.
  18. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Bout the same 190ish.

19. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  20. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Agreed. I've always thought of surfing as largely a solo pursuit, especially as I get older. It's fun to surf with a friend on occasion or bump into someone you know in the lineup, but mostly I like to focus solely on my surfing, and not get distracted by some inane banter with an acquaintance, save that for land.

CJsurf and LBCrew like this.