Fluff...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DonQ, Sep 14, 2019.

1. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Since when has the surfing community become such high maintenance?
    Internet made us soft. Internet made us less self sufficient and swallowed our fukin brains. Internet webs keeps us from being in the true sense, surfers.
    Internet killed the soul in surfing•
    It seems to me that before all the wave predicting web sites, we never had a problem knowing when waves would come. We had common knowledge what the winds would bring to our coasts.
    Now we have to know what suite to wear and what boart is best for the day? It’s bull shit.

Been on this here forum since 012 and I now see how much surfies rely so much on forecasts. It’s truly is sad. Y’all a sad bunch of suckers that give to much credit toward this media.
    I for one, did not sign on to SI for wave graphs, it was this forum which has also crashed and burned. Everyone changed user names and split for less polluted waters.
    Yup... I have been lurking like the sharks at your home break but nothing I see is worth a bite. I hate experimenting new foods.
    This web sight will never again be like it was and this is sad. I just want all to ponder the future of your sport and be more self reliant on gut instinct and be surfers again, not media graph whores.
    Good luck, and catchm’ up.

sigmund likes this.
  2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Good right up Don Q. I agree and even more than that I think so many people got caught up in trying to be a certain way or just fit in an act a certain way. I feel like some others Maybe aren't even accepting of Surfers that have that so you speak of because they either don't do drugs or don't drink or don't share their point of view on different subjects. I certainly agree on finding your own waves and forecasting for yourself as it keeps you much more in tune with what I believe I'm after for surfing. I'm constantly looking to find my own waves and be in tune with the ocean I collect my own data. But to just come on and bitch about the forecast being either incorrect or not working or whatever the next complaint might be certainly I'm eliminates that group of people from what I think true Surfers AR. I don't see Surfers or as people that just go ride waves or know where all the spots are her for that matter even know what spots are working best at what time but more of a fact that they are in tune with the ocean and can figure it out for themselves. Okay well that's enough of my rambling for now but thanks for the write-up I enjoyed reading it

DonQ likes this.

3. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Thanks Antwann.
    Let’s see how many more respond to this tread; for it seems most others have run to look for wave graphs.

...and by the way for anyone interested, there will be waves tomorrow/today. I seen it...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I moved as close to the surf as I could back in the first half of the 90s specifically so I could be on it every time its good. Personally I hate surf forecasts and web cams. All they did is make it too easy for the kooks.

sigmund, DonQ and antoine like this.
  5. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Preach old man

DonQ likes this.
  6. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    You pinned it CJ...
    you too Bubs.

The days of the waterman are history and in a way it’s kind of funny that the new ocean dwellers have no idea about weather and how it impacts their coastal experience.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for technology and it’s come a long way since the invention of the barometer but technology has also become a crutch for the new surfing masses.
    It just seems that some of the new surf community is completely out of touch with what it means to be a true waterman. Whatever.

7. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Times have changed. Surfing is mainstream. We sold out for the cash now we are stuck with the shitty cesspool pro surfing created. Just wait till this episode of the Olympic. Surfing will be more popular than ever. My only hope is that wave pools become so prevalent and popular that people avoid the dangerous ocean.

antoine likes this.
  8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Waterman? Come on Q, there are probably two dozen waterman on the east coast.

The rest of us surf and have fun. I’m not even sure you can be a true waterman on the east coast lol. Maybe my one friend, he dives with sharks and longboards.

I know one thing for certain, I know plenty of core surfers from VA to FL who rip, charge, and dial in the swell...none of them are sweating “swellinfo” forecasting as a useful tool in their journey.

DonQ likes this.
  9. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I know they exist and these are the ones that have dedicated there lives on the water and observe every aspect of their environment.
    It’s knowledge that can be passed along but nobody cares or has the time to learn. It’s a “gimme now” world.

10. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Not a kook, but i think that makes you a sellout... i kid, i kid haha

11. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
  12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Cut and dried, a kook is someone who needs to be told
    by any source, where and when to go surfing. Handed information is not the way to grow and be a decisive individual. We are fed so much information these days which makes it difficult to decipher what’s real and what is bunk.
    I remember when The Weather Chanel started.That was the best thing we had as far as wave prediction and surf forecasting goes. Surfing was in mid stage at that time and it provided a base of understanding how weather patterns worked sending waves our way. Still, we never waited for the winds to go offshore and send perfect peelers to the beach. We surfed when we wanted and where we wanted regardless of conditions. It made us better, it gave us understanding how this surfing thing is supposed to be...fun, not analytical.

13. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I don't remember when the weather channel started, but i became aware of it in about 1982 because the hotel in Ocean City where i was working in 1982 had cable.

Here's the thing tho...I had a NOAA weather radio by the late-1970s as a teenager, and found the marine forecast and hourly buoy reports more useful than the Weather Channel. Best of all was the top floor of the hotel...view down the beach to Ocean City Inlet, which was pretty much the only place i surfed.

14. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    You got it Mitchell. NOAA radio was always there for anyone who payed attention to weather. Still is. The station in Buxton NC was always a daily stop when we was road trippin to the OB. Granted it was easier and damn cheap to go from Nj to Nc back then but the hope for positive updates was all we had. Press a button a listen to the garbled static.

15. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    What up famalam? We still gonna get a sesh one day?

16. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Not going anywhere son.

antoine likes this.
  17. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I always thought a kook was someone who, acts like a jackazz both in and out of the water. I do agree with your point that people rely too much on spoon fed information though.

18. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    I thought you would be banned for language. I'm glad you didn't get the banhammer

ChavezyChavez likes this.
  19. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Yeah.

Well theres a lot of ways to look at it. I'm a professional mariner. Ive spent hundreds of days at sea, years at school, and countless long nights studying and learning this stuff. I can navigate by the stars with a sextant and paper chart. I can pencil and paper the time of tide and current down to a few minutes for any location. I can read a weather map etc, etc, etc....

However. New technology is very useful and there is no reason to glorify the old days of before. True waterman absolutely do exist and there is no reason to pretend that if technology weren't available sooner it would be ignored.

In both my professional and surfing life on the wayer it really is best to learn the skills behind the technology. It allows you to read the information with a much better eye and can only enhance your experience if the ocean/weather/whatever is your passion. If its what someone is interested in, over time they will develop skills. The amount of effort sunk in will determine those skills.

True waterman are not dead, but go on and preach on man. (I kid and i appreciate your post brother)

DonQ likes this.
  20. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I guess my point is that there is really no need for this "in my day" type of stuff. Every generation ALWAYS had it harder, worked harder, was more skilled etc.

It's all relative. If you surf and identify with the water youre a waterman. Some are more capable than others....and the world turns madly on.