Fluff...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DonQ, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    What about the days when you would call the surf shop to see what the surf report was

DonQ likes this.
  2. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I’m not old and bitter as some may think. To me, it all boils down to a lack of observation by many that have taken to the water these days.
    I know there are still true “waterman” that make their living on sea and it takes a true passion a respect for everything in and upon it and what causes it to be passive or aggressive. Utilizing a knowing it’s cycles is something I believe is slowly being forgotten.
    But you can find it on the web’s. Like I said... not against the tech but first you have to learn to swim.
    I’m grateful and also hopeful, there are still some people that want to hold on to a culture thats more than just riding a sled on water.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019

3. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Probably good there was no such thing as caller ID

Zeroevol and La_Piedra like this.
  4. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I’d like to add;
    that to teach, is the noblest proffesion of all.

So the next time you spot a kook, just remember that he or she, may not know any better and needs a lesson.
    “ see something, think,
    say something “

Zeroevol and bubs like this.
  5. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Bubs, Great perspective ! I think there is always more than right or wrong

Zeroevol and bubs like this.
  6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Being a "waterman" does not mean one has to negate modern technology and/or resort to reading what the butterflies are doing to predict weather and surf. In fact, good watermen will use all available means for SAFETY sake, for themselves and others.
    In my life, now 68 yrs, I have been:
    1) spearfishing man,
    2) scuba diver (still am),
    3) sailor (raced sailboats for 15 years)
    4) cabin cruiser dude (my fathers Chris Craft, long gone)
    5) bodysurfer/bellyboarder (starting age 8 until 10)
    6 ) surfer (starting age 10 to present)
    7) swim team member (4 yrs high school)
    8 ) lifeguard- summers in PR
    9) Masters in Marine Sciences, (never really used it; sitting in a dinghy counting guppy populations is no way to earn a living)
    10) sailing instructor, etc (briefly)
    11) water skier

Probably a few others I am not thinking about.
    If a sport requires a ball or puck, I have ZERO interest in it--I like the water immersion sports. Water polo?? I would have to be drunk......which isn't happening ever.
    I can tell when surf is PROBABLY going to be good, WITHOUT computer (using human bias). I still go to computer to get the best info every time I go out (excludes human bias, hopefully). It is a safety bonus!

Does that make me a waterman?? Who gives a shit--I just like being in the water; having a label is for....you guessed it...MORONS.
    Just go have fun and DO NOT hurt anybody else doing so.
    Then, and only then, you might be a good person.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Zeroevol, bubs, DonQ and 2 others like this.
  7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Water skiers are kooks... Lol!

DonQ and Zeroevol like this.
  8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    No...it makes you a water-moron:)

DonQ, La_Piedra and Zeroevol like this.
  9. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    This is what makes you so very special. Your humbleness, strengths and you desire to inform others of their weeknesses.
    ^This may put you above the
    Laird

bubs likes this.
  10. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not sure exactly what this all about but I'd like to give my .02.

The label Waterman kinda irks me. If you surf or kite or whatever in the ocean and know how to pick the best conditions, then you're an enthusiast. Nothing wrong with that.

Even fishing, crabbing, and clamming. I do these things and know when and where to be when it comes to tides and seasons and all. But I'm nothing more than an enthusiast really. I do it for recreation. I learned all this stuff from my Dad.

My Dad fished a lot. Clammed alot. Picked crabs our of pots off the dock every day until they were gone. Not for a living. For fun. It did also supplement income by providing food. Like our garden and hunting all the seasons. Cold crab was in the fridge all summer. Clams at dinner. Fish every friday all year and never bought except on Christmas Eve.
    He also body surfed like a champ.
    But a Waterman? Not sure. Just dudes that lived by the bay and liked playing in it.

To me that title goes to dudes that earn a living off the water. A merchant marine, a commercial fisherman, the dudes fixing the bridge pilings by me. Those dudes know the sea because they need too. Those guys who surf too know the sea better than everyone. Maybe those dudes are the waterman.

If all people do in the water is recreational, Which I am one, then we are just enthusiasts. I got a job and the internet helps me plan my days to get better waves. Local knowledge and experience help me decipher that info and put me in better waves sometimes than some of the surfers around me.

What the internet killed was the surprise session that we used to get when we hung out all day at the beach and the swell would come up while everyone was at work.There are no more of those. I miss that. But if we didn't have the web stuff now I'd be the dude that should have been there an hour ago.

This rant is not even worth .02. I'll give it to you on the house.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ChavezyChavez likes this.
  11. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    When I read the noaa report I hear the radio voice in my head.

Partly cloudy.

Notaseal and KDHJB like this.
  12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Cloudy is good...

I’ve given this rant some thought and the only thing I could come up with, is to build many wave pools.
    That’s the way it goes, this is our future. We either keep up with the pace of tech, or left to our old devices to know when to go for a surf.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    antoine likes this.
  13. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    No rave party but I surfed typhoon lagoon orlando fl... no typhoon

14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd like to try a wave pool. More importantly I like to demo all the surfboards at a wave pool.

15. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Would be a good place to attempt sliding waves with a moderate dose of one's preferred plant psychedelic of choice.

Notaseal likes this.
  16. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    not sure about that Sel. Not sure the noise from that train thing that makes the wave would jive with all the people watching and hooting. Could turn into the Jacobs Ladder dance scene.

17. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Goode point, factoring in noise and crowds it would probably get really weird really quick.