New surfer and looking for assistance with class project

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by sgolsan17, Oct 7, 2019.

1. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Hello all!

Thank you for taking a look, so I'll keep this as brief and informative as possible. If I posted this in the wrong spot, admins/mods please move to appropriate location. Thank you!

My name is Scott Golsan, and I am a current graduate student at National University. I have recently learned to surf with my oldest son over the summer (Sunset Beach, CA), and it has been one of, if not best things I have done in my life! And to share it together with my son, was more that much more special. We are both hooked, and planning our next surf trip to California in the coming months.

Being a current grad student in Performance Psychology, my current class is on behavioral research, and I must design and write my own hypothesis, and research paper. This is where I need your help, and others, if you'd share the link with those who may not be on this forum (link posted below).
    My question for my paper relates to surfing and job satisfaction. It is my hypothesis that those who surf more frequently, will have a greater level of job satisfaction (increased productivity). I have not been able to locate any research that has looked into it, and it is a starting point for future research. There is current research that draws on our connection with nature, and the positive affect experienced when we are active outdoors.
    The survey is comprised of both close-ended questions (multiple choice) and a few open-ended short answer questions. The largest part of the survey is the Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire (MSQ, short form) and contains 20 multiple choice questions. The survey should take 5 -10 minutes to complete and is anonymous. There is no compensation for taking this survey. I would however be happy to share results with the group here, and a link to my paper at the end of the course in three weeks time. I won't be able to have this survey open for very long, as our classes are only 4 weeks in length.

I would greatly appreciate your time and support with this project. And the information that is shared is not going to be used for any marketing, or the like. It is for my use only, and my research paper with National University HUB650. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me, and I will do my best to answer your questions and or concerns.

Here is the link to the survey (you can copy and paste it in an email or text to share with friends and family) https://forms.gle/cKMrNSrBXo9wvsCa7

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Scott Golsan

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Bro...no good on the intro. We have guidelines.
    Anyway..have you ever seen Uranus?
    Not everyone has had that opportunity.
    I kid... I'm sure someone will help

3. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Hi Antoine,
    My apologies in advance if I overlooked the intro/new user post area, as I didn't find it. Also, my goal is to learn from all of you all, and these "guidelines" are posted, or is more a reference for get my "feet wet" before posting as I did?
    -Scott

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Scott let me save you some trouble. I've been doing the research for about the past 30 years.

Conclusions: surfing frequently makes you LESS productive at work.

Major findings:

When you are surfing you aren't working. So when you are surfing more frequently you are working less frequently.

I you are surfing REALLY frequently, then you are probably either: a) currently surfing; b) dead tired from having just surfed; or c) busy planning your next surf session. In any case, you aren't productively working.

You are welcome. Please feel free to PM me to find out where to send my research stipend.

La_Piedra likes this.
  5. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Hi Mitchell,

I appreciate you offering your 30 years of surfing research. I have my own biases about what you mentioned, and I'm looking for more data in regards to my hypothesis. The data that is collected helps us all better understand our world, as well as aiding future studies.
    I did find two studies that pertained to the benefits of surfing, one was in regards to a single bout of 30-min surfing, and the other was troubled/at-risk youth who participated in a surfing course. Both studies provided insight into the positive affects on individual(s) well-being.

Cheers,

Scott

6. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Work make surfer dull kook.
    Dull kook make good worker never catch wave.
    Me help...

ukelelesurf, LBCrew and Notaseal like this.
  7. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Try mostoke.com. everyone that used to be here is now there... Mention my name..they are eager to help

KDHJB, SCOB3YVILLE and Notaseal like this.
  8. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Thank you, Antoine. I will check that site out.

9. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    DonQ,

I get that. Definitely something worth considering. Even though I personally have to work to provide for my family, I sure enjoyed learning to surf with my son! And we made sure that we weren't in any others way, and we still had an absolute blast!

Cheers,

Scott

10. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I have worked for places where I had to lie about taking time off from work to surf. My production was not very good.

I have worked for places that appreciated my addiction to surfing and let me surf on my usual work days, under the caveat that I make up the work as soon as the swell died down. My production was (is) excellent.

my most productive years were those when I was landlocked.

but surfing sure can make one lazy. That stereotype didn't invent itself.

Mitchell likes this.
  11. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't have to work to support my family??? Bwahahaha. We don't either

Notaseal likes this.
  12. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Hopefully you didn’t put yourself into 20k of debt for this graduate degree.

13. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    No, put my time in, and now I get to have my graduate program paid through use of my GI Bill. And this is just one class, and I chose what to write about, as my interest was piqued.

Thanks to all the comments, and those who have taken the survey. It's appreciated and you all are giving me some valuable insight about what I thought was going to be a somewhat straightforward paper.

Notaseal and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  14. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    That’s a sweet deal, thank you very much for your service, Scott.

I noticed someone on the first question said “60+” years...

What’s up Barry!?

Notaseal likes this.
  15. sgolsan17

sgolsan17 Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Thanks, and I appreciate your support!

Yeah, at this time 60+ is an outlier. Pretty cool to see individuals staying so active and getting after it! Keep it up!

-Scott

JayD likes this.
  16. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi Scott,
    I started to complete your survey, as I work in research, and sometimes have a soft spot for people like yourself.

Unfortunately, your questionnaire design does not have appropriate answers for landlocked kooks like me, who only get to surf on an infrequent basis, or "only when necessary".

I've had 6 surf sessions this year, the good news is, every time, the surf was at least head high.

Good luck with your survey, and thanks for your service.