surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    couldn't find the fishing thread so I'm starting a new one

Spent the last couple of weeks around lakes and rivers and caught a mess of fish. Cats, perch blue gills and bass. i used a lot of salt water stuff. used only ultra light poles and reels that i use for snapper fishing withthe kids. Snapper poppers were good for cat fishing. the weighted floats casted well. i switched the hooks out to a bigger hooks. was on a a 40ft deep lake and hit bass in the morning and evening on frogs through the lily pads which is super fun, but used the old reliable rattle trap for the deeper cleaner water during the day. I had one of those paddle boats with the bicycle paddles and would just peddle around the lake and troll the lures deep while jigging the rod slow to get the rattle. worked great. but it led me to my question.

I have a pretty big version of the rattle trap and every once in a while I throw it out in the the salt water from land but usually if nothing else is working. Never caught anything on it though. Was wondering if it anyone who fishes thinks it would or has tried it. nobody i know has ever used one.

also i used gulp for the first time. little fake salmon eggs soaked in it. I would drop the trap down with it and without it to see what happens. that stuff brings so many more fish to the lure it is crazy. it's like fish crack.

Nicolle20 and DosXX like this.
  2. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I've been murdering largemouth in PA with top poppers and jointed minnows . They shut down when that heat wave really kicked in but it's picking back up again.

DosXX likes this.

3. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Its snapper season here and theres enough to limit out today no surf but lots of snapper

4. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Top lures are my favorite. It's just a jolt when any kind of bass jumps on them.
    I had one swallow a lily pad getting to my frog.

The rattle traps are easy to fish. Just wondering if with tidal action if the rattle of the lure even works. Plus noise from boat traffic.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    ChavezyChavez likes this.
  5. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Living on the gulf I'm more of a fisherman who surfs.

nopantsLance and antoine like this.
  6. RadimProkop

RadimProkop New Member

Jul 28, 2019
    thahks for info, friends!

7. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    We ain't friends cousin.. Not til you post pics of your women or dogs and tell us how to tie a proper leash knot

8. SquezDogNight

SquezDogNight Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Fairly brutal spring and early summer for Striped bass up this way. I hear some better fish here made their way around, but nothing like last fall which was <insert: fishy and fire emoji/end program>

antoine likes this.
  9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Last week I hit up Avalon pier for an evening fish...

Spanish and one spade.

It was flat and windless.

Saw a ray that barely fit through pier pylon...6’ wide I’m guessing.

Good times...

antoine likes this.
  10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    This fat 29 incher went from the ocean to the grill in about an hour and a half last night. Caught on a surface popper in very shallow water on the beach. Fantastic fight.

72806370_10211859378598679_5173789446679560192_n (1).jpg

Peajay4060, metard, Cwhite and 3 others like this.
  11. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I fish central NJ - its been active but hearing they are still north

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    hey-llow fellows. long time no post, BUT nice catch!!! looks good!

Just started fishing againe a few weeks ago here in nj. some action but I don't think its full on yet... hopefully the next week or so, still been fishy regardless. I havnt really spoken to anyone else as far as fish reports go, so just my observations from the past few weeks. tons of bait the other day right off the beach.

Anyone else in nj??

desandan likes this.
  13. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
  14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice ones!
    Haven't fished yet but the bite is on here.

15. Sir Ballyhoo

Sir Ballyhoo New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    Went out front this morning (LBI) got into some bunker to snag and drop. No takings but a humpback kept us entertained the whole morning. Lots of bait but the bigger fish are still to the north? Water is still toasty.

antoine likes this.
  16. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    well , lots of bait in the water and the tarpon are rolling in around 50 to 80 lbs folks are getting blues and whiting here from the beach in central fl.

Zeroevol and Notaseal like this.
  17. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I fish but I haven’t had much luck lately.
    Maybe I’m on the wrong websites...?

Notaseal and antoine like this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've caught plenty of fish on a rattle bomber in the surf, especially bluefish. I think the sound makes them mad so they're more apt to strike even if they're not really interested in feeding.

No bass yet this fall. But I did catch the biggest shad I ever caught the other day, though. Actually hit my teaser... brown clouser minnow... tied on a drop loop about 8" up from a long, skinny single-hook Hopkins with red and white deer hair.

antoine likes this.
  19. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I love snapper...

20. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    05FC5F4E-7F52-490D-849C-3E1C245B3DCB.jpeg The bass here in nj seemed to pick up in the last week... haven’t seen any big fish from the beach yet, but some nicer sized fish And lots of bait...

Peajay4060, metard and LBCrew like this.