Carlsbad Camping and surfing

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by johnnytoobad, Feb 3, 2020.

1. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    0A14CA5C-607C-406C-A1CC-50D85B5686A7.jpeg wow been awhile Swellinfo!!!!
    anyways me and my 1972 oceanside single fin have found our way to so cal. is south end of carlsbad campgrounds pretty legit?
    any other ideas? not north of LA
    whats the friendliest break near carlsbad. My florida break was always chill with alot of laughing!
    any help will be much appreciated. Maybe see ya in the next few days to keep the train moving!

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Welcome to Carlsbad! The south end of the campground is North Ponto, unless you are actually in front of the campground itself. It can get pretty fun there. The wave out off the jetties can be pretty legit.

The north end of the campground, called campground (original, I know) can be fun too, but there are some salty AF dudes there. Not fun, but it picks up the souths a little better.

If you want the most chill spot in Carlsbad, you need to surf Houses. That's just to the south of the power plant, out in front of the houses. That is a very friendly wave with a crew of dawn patrolling long boarders that are as chill as chill gets. I surfed with them for a couple years before I went to a shortboard. If you go all the way to the south end of the house, that's Terramar, which is a super fun wave, but the dudes there aren't quite as friendly. Not unfriendly, but they won't hoot you into a set wave.

Hit me up in a PM if you want. I usually surf right in front of the power plant at Stacks. It's a good wave for the log too.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    World B Free and johnnytoobad like this.

3. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Not unfriendly, but they won't hoot you into a set wave.
    [/QUOTE]

haha the wave at tammera.

first we gotta set camp really hoping to catch a few this afternoon. appreciate the solid advice.

Carson likes this.
  4. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Go to San onofre. It’s 15 for a day pass and you can park it right infront if old mans or the point. Very cool.
    Camping at Carlsbad is cool too. Right on the cliff - not sure if you can camp this time of the year, but the bluffs at San onofre are cool too.

Swells gonna pick up this weekend!
    I’m in south mission. Hit me up if you need anything

World B Free likes this.
  5. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  6. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    If you are going to be here in August, I would definitely check out San O. The South swells get picked up better there. Carlsbad doesn't really get much of the souths until they get to around 205 degrees or so. Just a short jaunt up to Oceanside harbor can mean the difference between 1-2 knee slappers and waist to chest. I don't know much about anything further south toward San Diego, but I think there are some spots down that way that pick up the south swells.

Hit me up in a PM if you want. I'm just a creepy old dude that wants to take one of your kidneys. Nothing to worry about.

World B Free and antoine like this.
  7. World B Free

Feb 7, 2013

8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Ahhh, that's right! We are probably (not) related! Uncle World!

9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Dude if you're in SD with a longboard then you need to visit Tourmaline Street in Pacific Beach.

No camping, tons of old longboarders, long fat waves. Maybe you'll meet Skip Frye.

Have fun

10. World B Free

Feb 7, 2013

La_Piedra, Carson and antoine like this.
  11. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Carson's spots are on point, as well as San O being good friendly popular longboard spots.

Also:

North/South Garbage @Sunset Cliffs
    La Jolla Shores
    Cardiff Reef (crowded)
    San Elijo State Beach (camping w/hot showers)
    Swami's (crowded)
    Moonlight Beach

That ought to keep you busy

World B Free and Carson like this.
  12. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    And wait for this mega-high tide to drop out. :)

Notaseal likes this.