Things i miss and don't miss since the swelling exodus.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by antoine, Dec 15, 2019.

1. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    this site going down made me buy a surfline prem membership....which I got for half off being a gov emp. Must say, the multi cams and advanced forecast data are pretty daamn nice and more reliable for my spot than here

Carson likes this.
  2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Sounds like that sort of helped you find a better resource? I don't really use the forecasting data from this site. I like to track things as best I can and bounce it off a local forecasting site where I am. I like to learn about forecasting .

ukelelesurf likes this.

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i miss the old days when the forum was fun

shark hunter
    mis
    barry
    SJB

La_Piedra likes this.
  4. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    cepriano
    kidrock
    sandblasters
    zach619 and his long ass posts

La_Piedra likes this.
  5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
  6. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    It works really well for me here in SoCal. It's not perfect, of course. I still have to consider swell direction, period and the spot, but the cams are plentiful. I don't think it leads to more crowds. If you want to surf Blacks or Trestles, it's going to be crowded, cam or no cam. You can always find a semi-uncrowded peak around here if you look hard enough.

Notaseal likes this.
  7. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    have you not noticed tho when going on the surfline website - not the app - that if you read the report for your particular spot, to the right of the 17 day/hourly forecast graph it actually shows the graph going up or down. now under that, it breaks down the daily graph by 6 hour intervals but if the graph alone shows me an indication of when it's churning up. I had the subscription on trial for an upcoming CR trip, and it didn't provide "that accurate" of forecasting past 5 days ahead. That graph along with Swellinfo, Surf-Forecast, and even MSW (that's right) can really help make reason of any doubt in a long forecast assessment

ukelelesurf likes this.
  8. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Most of them are at mostoke if you want to reconnect. I'm not a member though

Notaseal likes this.
  9. ukelelesurf

Apr 25, 2007
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying but... Isn't MSW owned by surfline now and they both just run off the same data and have essentially the same forecast. The benefit of surfline being the cams and some local breakdown of coming swells by a human???? Could b wrong

10. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    dunno bout ownership but forecast is def different. as urrybody know, MSW winds are all multiplied by a thousand. All i'm saying is that there's a graph provided by Surfline that shows you 10 days ahead of time without specifics on if the swell's on the rise - which is bout as useful as their "premier" services

antoine likes this.
  11. ukelelesurf

Apr 25, 2007
    I think the premier stuff would be the streaming cams without the f*(^ing adds. The ability to stream 3 cams at once. The two week forecast which is worthless on the EC but pretty handy for places like Portugal or Mex where you can plan out a long trip being in parts of the country that need swell or can handle a big swell. And a forecaster putting the data into words (only sometimes accurate). For 48$ a year def worth it and after having it I think I would likely pay the full price if I had to. YMMV

steef, UnfurleD and Carson like this.
  12. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    And Betty?

natkitchen and World B Free like this.
  13. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    headhigh, antoine and Betty like this.
  14. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Nice to hear from you.. How are the shredding berries?

15. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Sup duders

natkitchen likes this.
  16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Betty! What a nice surprise, glad I caught you on here.

Betty and natkitchen like this.
  17. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Sup buns. Aloha from the sunshine state

natkitchen and bubs like this.
  18. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Definitely some characters missing! Good to see you Betty!

Betty likes this.