who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I think dave is one of the kooks in the pictures.Seems a little butt hurt by the kookery displayed in the photo.

dave and antoine like this.
  2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I am pretty sure if you read my post you'll see that I didn't reserve the labels dipsh*t and ignorant for just surfers. There are a lot of people that fit that criteria that will never set foot in the water. These are the same people that make right turns without looking for pedestrians to the right. These are the same people that walk right in front of you at the grocery store without looking. These are the same people that take the last 7 riblets at the buffet because, you know, they never refill that stuff.

I'd also like to point out that calling someone "ignorant" is not necessarily a disparaging remark.

"Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated."

Meaning that they have not been taught, which is what I was advocating for above. Teaching.

So, don't get your panties in a wad. I'm not saying that we should break the fins off their Costco boards, rip off their leashes and push their boards into the rocks. Educate them so they can get the same joy from it that we do.

And I've been surfing for over 30 years, Captain Math. I just didn't stand up until recently. Go ahead, tell me that I'm a dick dragging kook. I can take it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    NotAMasshole likes this.

3. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Total repeat.

4. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    For sure or he just craves attention .. The type of attention he gets from other places. A perfect example of..if you don't agree with me ill call you names!
    Its certainly okay to have a different opinion but he won't be here long enough to contribute now that he used hIs big boy words.. Don't waste your time with guys like Dave.

dave likes this.
  5. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016

Thanks Dave. I actually am a really laid back guy. I check this forum once or twice a month usually to offer advice to beginners on gear, travel, etc. I read this thread because I like hearing about people's surf stories.

Sometimes I find someone that is, like Carson said, ignorant. If you want to come to where I live and "block for beginners just to fuck with people like me" just send me a message. When we paddle out together I will likely just drown you. It would probably be safer than having beginners ditching longboards over the lip as they decide at the last second not to drop in on someone else. Have you ever been hit in the face with a longboard while you are running down the line? We could probably set that up on your visit as well if not.

Etiquette exists for a reason. It isn't some word that we just made up. Respect gets respect. If you "get it" I will be the nicest guy you have ever met in a lineup and I will cheer you into waves that I could have paddled for. But, if you act like common decency is too "big" of a concept for you to grasp you should never surf a new wave again.

antoine and Carson like this.
  6. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Just to the group- I am sorry to drag this thread down into the negative feelings. Just been crowded a lot at the local and I am obviously frustrated. There is a time and place for everyone. I was once a beginner and I am far from a great surfer. I just know that I was taught to be respectful and aware of my surroundings. I would never have surfed a focal point type wave like this when I was learning, especially if it was flanked by miles of sand-bottomed beach break. I hope everyone is staying sane...

antoine likes this.
  7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    No worries. No negative feelings here.

I have a spare room and some really cool beginner boards and I surfed my favorite spot with 4 other people this morning. Jump in your kookmobile and drive on out. :)

antoine likes this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Another super fun day. Waist to chest and dead calm.

antoine likes this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Really fun yesterday morning on the fish.

Notaseal and Carson like this.
  10. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Another super fun, chest high+ day. Took out the 5'8" quad fish and had several really good ones.

11. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    It’s sarfin season!
    everyone’s gonna hate you if you keep posting your sessions. Haha. I’m on day 21 straight of surf

Notaseal and Carson like this.
  12. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Hater's gonna hate. :D

13. simod5

simod5 Super Moderator

Jan 26, 2014
    surfers' gonna surf :D

14. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Been out n bout in the water from 2nd E to 9th E to N Washout on Folly. Started Friday evening, beach day Saturday, morning sessions after. Some chop, sideshore bout stomach to shoulder for most part. Dinged up the tail of my Loehr boart n a slice off my foot, got a feeling they were related. It was good to drink some beers On the Beach after those Saturday sessions. Kinda test for holiday wknd upcoming,, but urrybody down here been pretty damn loose bout it all

antoine and Carson like this.
  15. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Hey what's up everyone? I'm on my way to try to go find a wave down here in Central Florida. We have a small swell in the water and offshore Breeze so I think what I've decided is if I look far enough and long enough I find something that will work for the day. It may not be exactly what I'm looking for or hope for but at least it's something. Sunday was a great day chest head high somewhere in that range super clean all day the swell push through on all tides. I think everybody that owned a surfboard without practicing for Memorial Day which I know we all look forward to! Anyway check back in with a surf report hopefully that will turn into a ride report. Glad to see you guys up north are getting some

Carson likes this.
  16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Found a real good spot late today.

97556996_10213293362087370_7367012310243606528_o.jpg

99118714_10213293440329326_7711920432042999808_o.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Zeroevol, headhigh, Notaseal and 4 others like this.
  17. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Waist to chest, calm and peaky. Took the fish out again. That board is super fun.

antoine likes this.
  18. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I love keyboard locals

19. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Carson. I have a friend or two that lives out your way and they're reporting the same thing. Glad to hear you're getting some surf! Got some short pound Nehi waves yesterday but because of the closeout that chose to bring my soft top in a sad attempt to catch any part of a barrel.. even though I was unsuccessful I had a good time doing it

Carson likes this.
  20. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    BFD97AF2-97F3-43F8-B524-A77DD0E0964C.jpeg 877C3071-CB46-4393-ABB6-78C7C4ECE4B0.jpeg This happened this morning. I’ve never seen this before..