Shark Encounters

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Jan 18, 2018.

1. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    agreed if cape cod wants people to come visit they may have to come up with a solution. We’re starting to see more great whites here in Rhode Island mainly in transit heading to the cape. I guess I don’t understand why they can’t make shark nets and patrol them every hour to release bicatch. I know the cape is one big sand bar but if you drilled way down and poured concrete deep you could have a fastening point to make shark nets. I’m no engineer but why would this not be a feasible solution and also monitor those nets constantly to release fish etc?

2. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Wayyyy too many issues. Setting the nets is not a problem though.

Just for starters, many beaches in South Africa are netted, but Whitey still finds a way past them rather frequently.

Another issue is the amount of sea life that get enmeshed. It happens a lot. And because of that, there would be a huge political struggle to make it happen.

There's other big issues as well but these are prolly the 2 biggest factors

3. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    That’s why I suggested having people patrol the nets regularly. Enough unemployed people these days hire people to monitor the nets every hour up and down the national seashore. Yes they occasionally find their way through the nets because they are staggered but they work well at keeping them out for the most part. So I don’t agree that those are legitimate issues with al due respect.

4. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    So I hate shark nets.. Know your place in the ocean and accept it. If you or I attempted anything like This we could never get approval or permits to do this or anything liken it . government at its best. Anytime they do anything for its citizens it comes with a huge price tag and is worthless

Lefty likes this.
  5. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If you're afraid of sharks, you probably shouldn't be surfing

Lefty, Betty, antoine and 1 other person like this.
  6. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Kind of like a mailman being afraid of dogs. ?

Notaseal and antoine like this.
  7. willdean

willdean Member

May 27, 2020
    How common are these encounters? This never happened to me.

Notaseal likes this.
  8. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    LIKE LITERALLY.. Every time you enter the ocean.

Notaseal likes this.
  9. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Happy Shark Awareness Day
    DSCN0696.JPG

10. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Notaseal likes this.
  11. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  12. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Happy hour in the Hamptpns

Notaseal likes this.
  13. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    About 4 years ago, I was wading into the ocean, was in about thigh high murky water in my sleeveless 2mm zip up Billabong Wetsuite which I mainly use to cover legs from sun.

I feel a size able bump against my leg and then what I thought was some kind of bug inside the leg of my suit biting my leg. WTF? Roaches? I just didn’t put two and two together until I got out later on and saw the damage to the suite. I tried to patch up the suite, but it was never the same, stiff and scratchy on the spot. So, I kept it as a trophy.

The spinners are the ones that freak me a bit, because they land right next to you. If they hit me and the board, I figure I am knocked out and drowning. They seem to be out all the time, but mostly well behind the lineup.

One of the Betties earned her rep : She was walking in from a ride and stepped on like a sand shark, it whirled around her and gave her a solid bite around the ankle. It was a nice looking gash. The men were impressed she never cried, but took it in stride and seemed non-plussed by it all. She’s tough .

Like Antoine said, he sees the sharks almost every time he is out. That’s pretty much true it seems. I think he once said, you are more likely to get hurt by a coconut in the ocean, than a shark....there is a story to that, but it’s not mine to tell.

14. nalu222

nalu222 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Nah. No tail fin.. Still cool though.

Notaseal likes this.
  15. Lefty

Lefty Well-Known Member

May 8, 2020
    or you could just shoot seals with a .22

16. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Ausie surfer on the gold coast just lost his life, and they have nets ect.. to keep out sharks at that beach. Reports were grisly, nothing left from the crotch down, floating next to his board

antoine likes this.
  17. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    That's a big bite. Reports said 3 meter shark, I think...

18. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Read a post on a news site about a similar story. I guess nets are not the answer

19. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015