Open Cell Wetsuits

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Notaseal, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  2. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    For diving they are way warmer than neoprene. I use one to spear fish and works way better than my surf wetsuits

Notaseal likes this.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    They're both neoprene... one is open cell and one is closed cell. Many wetsuites are a combination of both. "Slick" panels are open, anything lined with a fabric-like material is closed. Typically the exterior of chest panels and interior of neck parts (that stick to your neck and don't let in water) are open cell. The lining that makes it closed cell adds strength and let's you slip in and out of the suite more easily.

Notaseal and antoine like this.
  4. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    Good point. That’s why the closed cell one lets in water typical surfing suits. Open cell are better for diving. Yeah I was wrong on the neoprene because part of my open cell suit is neoprene those open cell suits are amazing to dive with you just need to lubricate them before putting them on or you will rip them.

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'm a cheap-ass redneck, so I spearfish in my surfing suit. Which means a whole lotta weight on the belt... 'cause closed cell suites are way more buoyant.

Notaseal likes this.
  6. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    I did that up until last year until I bought a cheap open cell suit and I was out for two hours today no issues. In my old surf suites I got way colder. For 250 bucks was a great investment. Flounder have been great lately !

Notaseal likes this.
  7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Are you in NJ... or further south?

8. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    Rhode Island

9. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    No striper really yet. Water still too cold lots of blackfish though and winter flounder. Water gonna heat up five degrees this week though so striper should be coming soon! Weird regulations this year with bass though.

Notaseal likes this.
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'm heading for Block on Friday night to hunt Saturday. Last day of blackfish, I think. Hope the bass show up... and the warm water.

littlerhody likes this.
  11. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    Block is epic my buddy got a beautiful bass (32 inches ) off there last week. Block always has more fish than anywhere plus you’ll probably get Black Sea bass out there. I dove there a bunch last year visibility was 40 foot plus. Saw some massive rays, dogfish , and all sorts of fish. Got limit in Black Sea bass in Twenty minutes. Place is awesome ! Enjoy.

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Last day of Tog, so we're hoping to limit out on that, then look for fluke and bass. Thanks!

littlerhody likes this.