Mussel Shoals surf

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by imagineneri, Jun 15, 2020.

1. imagineneri

imagineneri New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I'm a longboarder and am taking a trip up Ventura County way next month. I was just wondering if there are any longboard waves at Mussel Shoals? Particularly just north of the pier. I scoured the internet but can't seem to find any info that isn't on Little Rincon, La Conchita, or Rincon itself. I'm staying in Mussel Shoals for awhile and just want to know if it's worth bringing my longboard in the summer or is that spot mainly shortboard stuff? Won't have transportation so what is out front of where I'm staying is what I'm interested in without having to walk down south of the pier to Little Rincon. Any info would help. Thanks.

2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Welcome to the world's Premier surfing site for information and name dropping a spots to blow up. But before we give you your much-needed answers to some very finicky questions we have a few questions of our own for you. First we'd like to know how tall you are and how much you can bench press secondly if you have a significant other could you please post some pics so we can judge harmlessly of course. Will probably also need to know if you know how to tie a proper leash knot and if you know how to do proper sand Recon?

DonQ, Ocean, headhigh and 1 other person like this.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Whalecum to ye ole forume.

4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Glad to see someone is still maintaining order at this here sarfing establishment

DonQ likes this.
  5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I really like the standing wave just to the North of the 157. You can sneak down the Wilson Damn Bridge and jump in there. It's usually not too crowded when North Alabama isn't in session.

Ocean likes this.
  6. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Longboard, shortboard, fishboard, paipo board, boogie board, body as a board... they are all styles. How disappointed can you be by going out front? Just don't get localized about it! Rocky, reefy, nicey.

headhigh likes this.
  7. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    You'll never have a bad session with this mindset.

antoine likes this.
  8. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    Well, wish that was the case but not everyone else is like-minded regarding style ;)

antoine likes this.
  9. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Agreed. I try hard to stay above the fray, which most of the time means surfing as far away from other people as possible haha.

antoine likes this.
  10. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    That is the objective and necessity for sure.

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    The good thing is, the most crowded time of the year is when they're no surf. If it's July and knee high and I'm on the longboard just getting wet, I really don't give a fark how crowded it is. And that's 90% of summer.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    headhigh likes this.