Been a long long time

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by gruvi, Jul 1, 2020.

1. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Hey guys! How's it been hanging? It's been a long time since I had the surf stoke and as much as I missed having it, I've got to write I just can't get it back. I have a few sticks I want to unload. There's been times I tell myself if only I could stomach driving down to CI and get to the beach there, something would spark me, and I just can't. Even a short drive to Belmar feels uncomfortable. So I'm here to ask what's a person's best options to sell their boards? Thanks for any help and I hope you all keep hold of your stoke all life long!

2. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Facebook Marketplace. I've sold a number of boards and wetsuits there and it is much better than craigslist. None of the BS you get with craigslist.

gruvi likes this.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Can't help you there, Gruvi...

gruvi likes this.
  4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Dang, man. Other hobbies taking up your time?

I agree with CJ: FB marketplace and/or Craigslist. I have used craigslist for over 10 years to buy and sell stuff and it's mostly been fine. FB marketplace has a lot of BS'ers and tire kickers in my experience, but it works as well.

Right now is the best time of the year to sell surf gear. If you're not in a hurry to sell, post the prices high and wait for offers. If you need the money, post them low and someone will scoop them right up.

gruvi likes this.
  5. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks headhigh! I always have a raised brow about the safety of using craigslist and having a stranger have my home address. Any safety tips you can share selling on it?

headhigh likes this.
  6. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Any tips in how to keep weirdos from getting your personal information like home address? I'd rather meet at Belmar to do the transaction except for the bing levitator, I can fit other boards in my truck no problem

7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Never have them come to your house, ever. Setup a meeting spot that's very visible like a Target parking lot.

World B Free, headhigh and gruvi like this.
  8. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Excellent idea! Thanks

Carson likes this.
  9. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Yup just like @Carson said, meet in a highly visible, well lit, location. Funny that he mentioned Target because I have a Target a few miles from my house that I always use. Never, ever, give out your home address.

I usually bring someone with me too. Usually just my wife in the car with the AC on while I do the transaction.

When selling a longboard I'm always super vigilant about letting the buyer touch the board before I have cash in hand. Be ready to jump between the board and the ground at any moment. I had a dude pull a board out of the back of my old SUV, hit the tail on the pavement, then hit the nose on the inside of my life gate, and then "didn't bring the cash". I ended up having to repair dings on the nose and tail :mad:

Other tips: Scrape off old wax and put on a fresh wax job. That can really increase the curb appeal of an old board. Cash only, and count the money in front of the buyer, out loud, as soon as it's in your hands.

Final tip: Bring me the Levitator and I will take excellent care of it for you ;)

World B Free likes this.
  10. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Great advice and lol sure if you bring cash I'll bring the bing)))

headhigh and Carson like this.
  11. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    headhigh likes this.
  12. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Get a large trench coat. Something big enough to conceal your boards. Then find a sketchy looking alley and wait until people that look like surfers pass by then let them know. Don't worry about the selling, the boards will sell themselves.

13. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    They actually have selling spots around; i seem to forget that some cities actually put the money out there for a sign stating such. We got one right outside of our police dept in a small alley, across from the surf bar for those here in the know

antoine and headhigh like this.
  14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Funny board selling story. Bought a consignment board off of the used rack at a surf shop. Haggled with the shop and got it for dirt cheap. It was a board that new would have been $650 full retail on the rack. Got it for like $300 and it didn't have a ding in it. Had it for a month and rode it two times but it was a dog. The thing just didn't work at all. Cleaned it up and hit it with the buffer and put it on Facebook Marketplace for $450 which was actually a little less than someone else had the same model board up there listed at the same time. Had a guy contact me with questions. Seemed weird but didn't think much of it. The board sold to someone else a couple days later. A few days go by and that fist guy calls me on the phone. Now he's flipping out. Turns out it was the dumbass who put the board on consignment at the shop. He was pissed off that he got so little for it after the shop got whatever they charge for consignment and then he sees me sell it on the internet for about $150 more than I paid for it. Pretty sure shops charge $50 or $75 for consignment. He probably walked away with $225 or $250 after the shop took its cut.

Bet this board didn't work for the first guy either. Big name board and the fin placement had to be off. Never rode a board that had so little ability to accelerate.

Bet he called the surf shop and bitched at them too. LOL!

Moral of the story is don't trade in or consign a board. You'll get nothing for it. Clean it up good, take some good pictures, write a good listing and sell it for free yourself on the internet.

15. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Too funny. Selling anything is an equation of "time + effort = profit". The guy you're talking about took the minimum time and effort route and clearly sacrificed profit.

Since were telling stories... Years ago I picked up a locally shaped longboard with a cracked tail and a bad ding (like 3 inch x 10 inch piece of glass peeling back) on the nose, a decent fin, and a nice 9'6 boardbag for $180.

Spent 2 evenings in the shop fixing the dings with stuff I already had on hand and proceeded to ride the board for close to 2 years. Finally decided to sell it.

I got $350 for the board and didn't sell the board bag. Basically surfed for free for 2 years and had a nice down payment on my next stick, which I promptly put in the board bag that I kept :D

GoodVibes, Carson and antoine like this.