Mahalo with Gun advice needed

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by gruvi, Jul 11, 2020.

1. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Hey dudes, with the fever to get back out paddling, Gruvi is trying to feel out better options for his needs to surf better. He has done the funboard route, along with a bing longboard and even a custom 7'10 21 1/2 "shortboard" and it's still eluding him riding our scrumptious east coast waves. Starting to feel the problem is slowing the board down even more and that's why the gun with a nice vee near the fin boxes may come in to help? Problem is he can't pop up and catch that wave at the right time because the boards he owns are too fast we are thinking. So I read about guns even though they're meant for the big pipelines and other large waves, one with the right amount of vee in the fin box might just do the trick to slow it down enough so he can pop up and gain his footing and finally ride like a lot of you all! Appreciate any feedback thanks and mahalo!!!

2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Gruvi dude? Doesn't add up to me

World B Free likes this.

3. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    What exactly didn't you like about your Bing? The reason I ask is because that is the type board I would normally recommend to someone in your situation.

Carson likes this.
  4. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Yo Gruvi-mon, you surf this weekend at all? If you're reading this, put your board (any board will do) in the truck and go get wet!

5. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Vee around the finbox wont slow a board down, that feature is to ease up rail rto rail transitions for turning. Nothing to do with board speed or catching a wave.

If surfing on the east coast on a longboard, funboard, (some of the easiest boards to ride ) or 7'10" is proving difficult, getting a gun, with or without vee, isn't going to help. In fact these narrow boards are some of the most difficult shapes to ride for a beginner or intermediate surfer.

mahalo

6. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Sounds more like you need to find a more beginner friendly wave rather than yet another board. Find the spot where all the old dudes are riding logs and go there. Some wave that crumbles at the top and doesn't break top to bottom. This will be a lot more forgiving on takeoff than some sand-sucking, neck-snapping, board-breaking mutant.

7. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Gruvi? ....Gruvi?

[​IMG]

Carson likes this.
  8. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Spot on. Easy take offs make surfing fun

antoine and Carson like this.
  9. seldom seen