Wintersuit recommendations

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by pkovo, Feb 3, 2020.

1. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    My current Hyperflex has seen better days. Two patched seams and another hole just popped up. Time for a new suit, but I'm out of touch with whats what.

My last two winter suits were Hyperflex, and the one prior to that was a Rip Curl. I don't get out that much, but I do go out all winter in NJ, and very occasionally trek to RI.

I'm old and my paddling has seen better days. Current suit is not as stretchy as I would like, but it's old. Would like a suit that minimizes paddle restriction

If anyone has a recent suit they love or hate let me know, and ide. Two buddies recently got Oneill Psycho Tech suits but they've each only used them once so far so tough to get much feedback, other than they were pretty pricey.

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I've been really happy with my Vissla 7 Seas suits. I have a 2/2 and 3/2 chest zip. Both are super stretchy.

My 4/3 is a O'neill and I won't buy another one. It's was repaired once, then replaced the second time I sent it in for repair and it's probably going to be toast after this winter. So, between the two brand new O'neills, I'll get 3 winters out of them. Totally unacceptable.

ukelelesurf and antoine like this.

3. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Man. Really appreciate the feedback. Maybe I should think twice about Oneill. It was the lure of a really flexible suit that was making me look hard at it.

I had never heard of Vissla until I started looking recently and they've popped up in more than a few articles as a good suit.

antoine likes this.
  4. steef

steef Active Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Another thing to consider is to not go thicker than needed. A solid 5/4 is all you really need for cold NJ winters, so don't go up to a 6/5/4 which will be more restrictive just based on the extra mm alone. I'd look for a front zip, and if you're having issues with getting it on and off, I really like a pair of wetsox. The 1mm version even help keep your feet a tiny bit warmer at the expense of looking a little goofy getting changed in the parking lot.

I've had great luck with Xcel, reasonably priced and very flexible. Your best bet is to go try some on at your local shop and buy it there, even though you can probably find them cheaper online. You can have the best wetsuit in the world, but if it doesn't fit you'll have a bad day. Good luck!

LBCrew, antoine and Carson like this.
  5. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks for the tips! My boots are Xcel and they are pretty stout. Not sure why I never considered one of their suits

I honestly think the reason I bought the second Hyperflex is because I knew it would fit and wanted to avoid trying suits on. It's such a hassle to try them on in the store.

steef and antoine like this.
  6. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    pkovo likes this.
  7. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Rip Curl Flash bomb. Enough said

pkovo likes this.
  8. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Need essentials......100% quality, half the cost. I'm on my second one and I also have a hood and gloves. The only downside on them is they don't do repairs unlike Vissla that has a one year warranty. But word is if your suit fails in a year they send you a new one or credit towards a new one. YMMV. I would go with Vissla or Need

pkovo and Carson like this.
  9. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks I'll check them out. That brand is a new one for me.

I've done three repairs to my existing suit with good results. I hand sew it with braided fishing line, then coat the area with Aquaseal. Works great.

I always wear my suits to the bitter end of their life, so I've done this to prior suits as well. Usually by that time though, it's a crutch to get by for a few more sessions.

ukelelesurf, antoine and steef like this.
  10. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    hands down, oneill techno butter 3 5/4

11. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    My first note on this is that if it is not a winter suit (5/4 or 6/5) it really doesn't matter. If the water is only cold enough to need a 4/3, leaks and flushing should not matter at all bc its not going to cut your session short. I have always been an Xcel guy for winter suits. They are super durable and very importantly, they fit me well. I think from what you are saying- stretch and fit is important for you. Every brand is a little different, as much as trying on suits is a pain, it's great when you find the brand that works for you. As much as I liked xcel, I needed a new winter suit this year and did not want to drop $500+. After scouring everything on Black Friday and talking with a friend who rides for Billabong, I decided to give their new suits a chance. I ordered 3 (sizes) and settled on the new furnace ultra carbon 6/5. I was able to get it for $229 which for a new model year winter suit is pretty unreal. It is lighter and more flexible than any xcel I have owned, dries super fast and is warm as hell. I surfed for almost 4 hours last week in 41 degree water, and only got out because my arms were cooked. I think the 5/4 of this suit would likely feel as flexible as a normal 4/3. Durability yet to be determined but high marks early.

Carson likes this.
  12. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I only use a 4/3 and water hovers around 39 to 42 during the winter. Depending on air temp, I can stay out a good 2 to 3 hours.

13. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I have this theory that if you buy stuff at the opposite time of year that people use stuff, you can get a better deal. Like buying a convertible in the middle of the winter.

It's peak summer, and the water at my local is over 80 degrees, and I need a new wetsuit.

So, anyone know the secret of scoring a wetsuit for cheap, in the summer?

edit: when I say cheap I mean less expensive. I'm not looking for a "cheap wetsuit"

14. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude, it's July.

i used to be a fan of Whiskey. They went to Steep and Cheap. not as good but you may find something

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  15. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm with you on that one dude! But I've had pretty good luck with Whiskey Militia. Of course I do a lot of research and read everybody's opinion but I bought a spring suit that's going into my fourth surf season still in pretty good shape it's an O'Neill

16. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    That's the whole point. Buy in the off-season. (also the forum is super quiet and I'm bored)

I got some very solid scores on Whiskey Militia in the past. Will try Steep.

17. steef

steef Active Member

Sep 11, 2019
    I buy my wetsuits on Evo. Can always score a good deal offseason.

antoine and headhigh like this.
  18. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Whoa Dude,
    Evo. Just looked. Lots of goods on there.

antoine, headhigh and steef like this.
  19. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Granted I have been gone a long time, but isn’t it “Wetsuite”, not “Wetsuit”?

UnfurleD likes this.
  20. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Swellinfo grammar

Betty likes this.