who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    We could all be a little more vulnerable. :)

antoine likes this.
  2. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    @headhigh "veggie burgers topped with bacon, and a tofu, tortellini, frozen peas, artichoke heart, and feta salad. It was actually pretty good."

Darn right it was pretty good!. Veggie burgers topped with bacon..Right On! A good meal after a surf makes for a better surf. Good surf stories are better when you talk food. Extra credit for food story.

I got that swell too. Not sure where it came from. Finished up early and took The Fam for a swim before dinner. Wasn't expecting much but it was just waist high and fairly clean. A nice A frame peak drew off the outer bar with a slow peeling wall that reformed inside to the beach. Easy Fading drop, get your hand into the face to stall a sec and get to the nose. Dropknee back into the soup to get to the reform and get that inside action with a little LB floater at the end. Too cool. I would get a few and then pass the board to the boy to get a few. The girls took turns booging on the old Mach-77. Left when we got hungry. My wife got into it in the kitchen as soon as we got home. Seafood paella. Fish market squid, shell fish got right out of the bay along with a monkfish. Finished up at the fire "pit". If its propane is it a pit? I'll use the fire pit tonight to burn all dead wood that fell.

Always wanting more.

antoine, headhigh and Carson like this.

3. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Poetic.

I have a Mach 7-SS in the garage.:)

antoine likes this.
  4. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    My 1st surfboard! Black bottom with keel fins screwed in! I was lightweight and could stand on it. one day it bubbled in the sun. The one I got now has the orange bottom.

Carson likes this.
  5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Sand recon yielded on joy. New south swell isn't showing yet. We should start to see it throughout the day today. Tomorrow should be the start of a pretty good run. Wax up!

UnfurleD likes this.
  6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Been pretty flat for the past two days... so I've been spearfishing.
    Before:
    IMG_2266.JPG
    After:
    IMG_2267.JPG

sisurfdogg, headhigh, simod5 and 2 others like this.
  7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
  8. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  9. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    LB , gotta admit I hate filleting that fish .

antoine likes this.
  10. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    What's been going on at your home break?
    Dislocated my knee last Tuesday. Popped it back in Wednesday a.m and went from bad to great. Had some stiffness but with some rest and stretching I was able to pop up and catch so.e thigh high l.b.waves. got out on the nose a bit high on the wave and slid down into some nice reforms on the inside Sunday a.m. miracles are real bro! Lol

Carson, UnfurleD and headhigh like this.
  11. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Sup dudes? Been dead flat here since Sunday.

When we lost power last week i was reminded how necessary a good gas grill can be, so I ordered some parts to restore my old Weber Spirit 500 for the second time. I got the grill as a hand-me-down from my old boss a while back. He bought it in the late 90's.

New burners, flavor-riser bars, grill grates and she will get a good cleaning. Last year I did the whole lower drip tray assembly, regulator, and igniter. Going to be a basically new grill when I'm done. The frame and actual grill shell are still in perfect shape. They don't make 'em like they used to. In fact, they don't make these at all anymore.

[​IMG]

Carson, antoine and UnfurleD like this.
  12. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    FINALLY got some swell. South is starting to show and the NW wind swell is breaking it up nicely. Got a few good ones with the Crusty Crew at the Campgrounds. Those dudes need to get laid or something. Jebus!

Got home and heated up a cup of coffee made from the Guatemala Chimaltenango San Martin Jilotepeque that I roasted last week. This is a great every day cup of coffee when roasted to Full City+. Thinking about toasting up a Trader Joes's Everything Bagel and slathering it with a ridiculously think layer of cream cheese.

13. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice.
    You roast your own beans?

14. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I do. I've been roasting my own coffee for almost 10 years now. The difference between fresh roasted and any other coffee is tremendous. Coffee is at the peak of freshness between 3 and 14 days after it is roasted and the quality drops exponentially after it is ground.

ETA: And it's way less expensive. I rarely spend more than $6.50 per pound for green coffee. I buy from www.sweetmarias.com. My ROI for the roaster was 14 months. I've been in the black for a long time.

15. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    That's interesting man. That's interesting.

got a recommendation for a roaster?

16. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I do.
    There are a lot of ways to roast coffee, frying pan, air roaster (like popcorn popper) drum roaster. You will get the best results from a drum roaster, but if you just want to dabble, an air roaster might be the way to go. You have less control over the roast though, but it's an easy entry point. If you are a self proclaimed coffee snob like me, then you will probably want to go straight to a drum roaster.

This is a great entry level drum roaster that has been around for a long time and you can roast up to a pound at a time, though you might have better results with a smaller batch.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/behmor-2000ab-plus-roaster.html

This is the one that I have. Bought a different model, but essentially the same, mine will turn 10 years old in January. Lots of control over the roast. Creates a great product.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting/hottop-roaster-basic.html

I plan to retire in about 8 years and open a coffee shop here in SoCal, so this one is the next step for me. I hope to get this within the next couple of years so I can start doing some artisan small batch roasting to start to get the name out.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting/drum-roasters/aillio-bullet-r1-roaster.html

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea... not the easiest. I go at it really slowly and like a surgeon, using "just the tip" getting that bottom half off the rack. That knife in the pic is awesome... you can do some really delicate work with it.

18. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Saturday August 2, down here was chop chop city, so I ditched the board and got a bunch of shore pound barrels bodysurfing. Till I got hammered enough.

Sunday afternoon the 3rd, the eye finally went north of me, and it cleaned up pretty quick. I hit a spot right down the street from where I now live in Jupiter. Overhead sets on the outside, but hard offshores made the takeoffs too slow to make them. Mid break had the goods, but it was very random. No way to line it up, just bob around with 40 other wannabes and every now and then a head high plus nugget of a peak would appear, and zoom.

I had my 6’6″ NA Pete Dooley egg, so it was easy to get in inspite of the stiff offshores. First wave I almost took off on the nose, and at the bottom just leaned back and did a backside bottom turn to an off the lip to a back in the barrel on the nose. I got another barrel on the take off, it was backside left so I grabbed rail on the drop and when the whitewater quit hitting my back I let go and flew along the face. Like stepping on the gas.

Since then, I heard from 4 of the crew from my local that it was 10 foot plus barrels down there, but due to health issues that began last December, I'm working my way back up the ladder. Need more reps before I go gonzo againne.

It dropped pretty quick, but there were a couple golden hours that usually happen late at night when these things pass right offshore, that actually happened that day in the sunshine. So it was pure magic. Glad to see some of ya'll and youze guys are getting some juice. Life is goode! Maybe late next week we get a nice clean longboard swell from afar.

Till then, peas and waves!

World B Free, Carson and headhigh like this.
  19. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    And peas and waves be with you Dogg.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  20. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Well ride on time in Santa Cruz met up with my friend unpakt a quick bite to eat and headed out for a longboard session. I must say it's the first time I've surf in California and the water is balls cold just like you guys said it would be. But armed with my spring suit and a good attitude I got some pretty decent long rides and although the lineup was filled it wasn't overpopulated with egos. I let a few people get a few waves in front of me and then I got plenty of my own waves. Got a couple of people and we're going to stop later tonight and get some food but I'm not quite sure where. This place is kind of like in a self-imposed lockdown. But like they say when in Rome do as the Romans. By the way anybody south of Santa Cruz sees my balls floating by kindly put them in a jar for me contact me here and ask for my mailing address lol