who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    yea, feel like i've been posting a good bit. They're might be a shot of swell this wknd, but prolly nothing til Sept - hence me not posting for a while

headhigh likes this.
  2. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I was going to ask the same thing, but then I remembered: no swell = nothing to post about. I'm in the same boat unfortunately. It's been a summer for the history books as far as swell goes so I'm thankful for that.

UnfurleD likes this.

3. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Like you pointed out - the tale of two coasts! If you can handle the East Coast gnar and choppe, the long period Pacific is a piece of cake (except Mavs and Puerto Escondido). We know how to get in early with a quick pop up, the rest is butter.

Carson and antoine like this.
  4. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Get some popcorn and enjoy the intermission. Act Two is on its way in a couple weeks.

antoine likes this.
  5. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Surfer photog I knew from way back gave me a call recently . He moved into the Mav s area for the last 20 yrs , had him send me his favorite shots . 34C80DF1-9F58-4E77-A48A-C6AC1AB0AB3B.jpeg 1995892E-D5E0-435D-9BE1-9F5B4847BE43.png F14855FB-DBEB-4D38-96F9-1E55E62D023D.jpeg

Manik, Carson, antoine and 2 others like this.
  6. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Zach Wormat on the bottom , he made it to bottom .Peter Mel on a tow in beast.

Carson, antoine and headhigh like this.
  7. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Man! I wanted to say just that but I view myself as intermediate here in florida but way beyond that when I travel! Well said

Manik, headhigh and Carson like this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    This has been my experience too.

headhigh likes this.
  9. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    New board, new swell. My wife bought me a custom made Sauritch Retro Fish for my birthday in July. I picked it up on Monday. 5' 6" x 20 1/2" x 2 3/8" @ 29.6L. Got some rad Keel Fins from Capt. Fin for it. Waxed it up yesterday so I was ready go for dawn patrol today.

Met a buddy of mine that was down from Orange County. We padded out in Oside between the pier and the harbor. Little swamped from the high tide, but the SW swell was pushing through pretty well. It was about waist high, chest to head on the sets and glassy. No wind to speak of.

I learned some things about this board today.
    1. It's fast. I had one drop in where I got hung up in the foam at the top. Pushed over it thinking "I'll never make that section" and then, I made the section. Zoom!!
    2. It duck dives like a dream! Deep and easy. TWSS
    3. It does NOT turn like my thrusters. I had a couple of waves where I was like "I'm turning, I'm turning, I'm not turning." and I would fall.
    4. Feet MUST be in the right place right after pop up. I tried to adjust a couple times and when I only had one foot on the board, even for a split second, it got all bar of soapy and would squirt right out from under me.
    Overall, I think it's going to be super fun, but it's going to take some time to dial it in.

https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/christenson-keel-especial-st-black-white
    https://www.sauritchsurfboards.com/surfboards/fish/retro-fish.html

After surfing, cruised home and got a cup of fresh roasted coffee and got right to work. No fancy food. :(

IMG_20200824_153626.jpg IMG_20200824_153634.jpg IMG_20200824_153706.jpg IMG_20200824_153712.jpg IMG_20200824_153655.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Manik, headhigh, UnfurleD and 3 others like this.
  10. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Hang on to your wife brah! She's a keeper. You can always get a new board.

Manik and Carson like this.
  11. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Waist to stomach and clean. Took out the new fish. Had one good wave where I really got the feel for the fish, rocking it gently from rail to rail and feeling the speed. Super fun.

Came home and pulled a double espresso and prepped for brunch. Bacon, bell pepper, red onion and tomato omelet (proper, all the ingredients INSIDE not scrambled in) with mexi cheese. Split the four egg monster with my bride.

headhigh and antoine like this.
  12. aamaralynch

aamaralynch New Member

Aug 31, 2020
  13. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    LB luck has it, yesterday morning and and evening session. Morning was w a bud, drifted right thru Washout in 45 min. It was stomach +, had some long rides, a lot of them going right over the rocks on hi tide. Yesterday evening was with the roomies. A lil less size but still sumtin to ride. Drift wasn't dat bad den, and all we scored some waves which made it all that sweet. Not a bad way to end the wknd

Manik, antoine and Carson like this.
  14. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What's happening? Good stories well told. @Carson I've told everyone about roasting your own. I'm going to do it.

Been over a week since I got surf. So today I spent the whole day at my favorite spot to catch as much as Omar as I could. Kinda funky at 1st. Almost everyone looked and left except a few. It looked funky but had potential so I gave it a go. I found it fun. Probably because I was alone. Crowded it might have sucked. Waist to chest maybe. Semi clean runners. Rode my fish for hours on end. It's got a funky bottom that matches a funky wave. Flat for the most but a rolled v through the tail. Gets through the funk with little effort and easy to flick around on the face. and that's how it went. Roll in, get some face, come down with the dump, and get through it to set up again. Couple of hits per section, couple of sections per wave. Got some long rides on longer drifts. Switched to a thruster on the last drift for a change a pace. Had some fun on that too until I got hit with sea lice. Kinda killed the vibe. Ate a roast beef and american on white made the day before and drove out. It wasn't the best spot today, the dudes who left got waves too, but to get a good spot pretty decent to yourself for a whole day felt special.
    Hoping for more waves that require a leash,
    PJ

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Manik, headhigh and Carson like this.
  15. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  16. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Awesome! Keep me posted and hit me with any questions you have.

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    All legit, Carson. You definitely have a quick feel for board design.

All the things you mentioned are exactly why (well... at least part of the reason why) I ride fishes more than any other board in my quiver. I took one out yesterday in some chest high mushburgers that were lining up nicely and had one of the best sessions in weeks. One thing a lot of people say is that twin fin fish spin out easily. I could not disagree with that statement more. They do NOT spin out easily... in fact, I can do full force turns at speed without spinning out by digging that big ol' keel fin in deep and using a lot of RAIL. The trick is... and you pointed it out... foot placement. Correct foot placement along with weight distribution makes riding a fish like no other board. Literally incomparable.

18. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    78F7E88B-EAA9-4D4E-83FE-9F0517C8200A.jpeg 10 yrs ago today , Earl super sized NJ

sisurfdogg, steef, headhigh and 4 others like this.
  19. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Fun session yesterday, waist high soft, wonky waves. Heavy fog made it almost glassy. Almost no crowd, unreal. Most rides were short for the spot, but had a couple where the sections connected nicely and took the waves right into the rocks. I know I should be pulling out at a certain point, but the wave reforms in the shallow boulder area and I cant help milking it to the very end, and my boards show the folly of this decision. But I always come out ok.
    Its been a crazy summer, I pulled the trigger on buying a house here in town, a completely delapidated piece of crap, but all I could afford in this coastal area. Pulled my first permit in April, and hopefully will pass the last 2 inspections next week. I was so enthusiastic and motivated at first, and by the 4th of July was pulling the hair out of my head. Some of the contractors I hired were real douche bags, they caused more stress and cost me money and time I couldn't afford. This had me in a funk for most of the summer. No surfing, no days off, just 14 hour days with no end in sight.
    Well, the end is here. Yesterdays session was the first in a long time, and once again a reminder of how important surfing is in my life. When Im not in the water, things build up. I think surfing is like hitting the reset button, I feel so much clearer afterwards.
    Anyhow, glad to see everyone getting some. The season is here on the EC. I really am looking forward to cane season, not just to surf but to get back into taking photos and vids. I had been enjoying my new camera earlier this year, want to get back into that as well

headhigh, Carson and antoine like this.
  20. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I find my Higher Power in the water.Your comments about importance of surfing on your psyche really resonated with me.

Manik likes this.