who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks, Carson. 48 hours later I was able to surf so I'm optimistic about the prognosis. My tele-doctor said to stretch, so I'm doing an hour of yoga a day and keeping ice on my lower back.

I think it was caused by my terrible posture in my home office, which I slapped together one weekend when they told us not to come back to the corporate office. I thought I would be here for 2-3 weeks... 8 months later I'm still hunching over this old drafting table. To remedy this i'm building a new office this weekend, as word from the employer is that we will not be back in the office for the foreseeable future.

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Took a look on Saturday morning and the wind was already on it at dawn and it didn't look to appealing. If I hadn't surfed for a week or so, I probably would have paddled out, but after this past run of swell, I didn't feel the need to just go get wet.

Sunday morning looked WAY better. I thought it was going to be smallish, so I took my 7'2" Kies board out and it turned out to be a really good three hour session. I even got called into a wave by one of the crusty locals (having some breakthroughs there) and it turned out to be the best wave of the day for me. It was solid waist high all morning and the sets were chest/shoulder high. Got some really fun waves.

Taking a break today and will hit it tomorrow when the local wind swell is supposed to be at its peak.

On Saturday, I made some Cajun seared scallops on a bed of spinach sautéed in garlic in olive oil with spaghetti tossed in garlic, olive oil and red pepper flake as the side.

antoine, Manik and headhigh like this.

3. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Yep, that'll do it for sure. Bad posture at the desk is a killer.

My employer is saying that we will reevaluate going back to the office the first of the year. I'm of the opinion that we should be able to work from home as much as we choose to. This 8 months working from home has been eye opening. Yes, I feel like there is a little too much "work/life integration" going on, but I also like the fact that I haven't put on pants for 8 months. And that I can surf and come and sit right down and start to work and shower when I'm ready (my wife is not as enthusiastic about this aspect). Having remote options opens up a lot of job opportunities too. I think that the office should be there if you want to use it and for larger meetings/gatherings. My wife is of the same mindset. She is an architect, so she has her finger on the pulse of what's going on in the construction and real estate market and she feels like that's the direction that things are going to go. We shall see!

headhigh likes this.
  4. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Could not agree more. Aside from the posture/back thing, I have seen a marked improvement in my health since I started working from home. I actually lost 20 pounds in the first couple months and have kept it off since. I always felt like I needed to be planted at my desk for 8 hours minimum when I was at the office. Now I'm up several times an hour messing with my pets, getting the mail, cleaning up a bit. It's awesome. Also, there isn't someone showing up with donuts, bagels, or some other carb-rich meal for breakfast, or going out to lunch a few times a week. I could tell that crap was killing me.

WFH has def changed my whole dawn patrol routine. I used to pack the car the night before with my slacks, shirt, belt and tie on a hanger. Shoes, socks, undershirt, underwear, deodorant, comb neatly packed in a bag. Now I roll out of bed, surf a 1/2 hour longer than I used to, and roll home just in time for a meeting while still in my towel.

I miss shooting the **** with my colleagues, but just like you said there will be a place for the office on the other side of Covid, just not 8-5 M-F. I'm excited to see how it pans out.

Carson likes this.
  5. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    yea, man i was in the same boat about a month ago. I'm 34 yrs young, and i didn't use an office chair for a couple months. I blamed my bed, bought a new one, and figured i should take the office chair back to the house. To get outta that pain tho, my buddy knew thai massage which is more about pulling your arm this way and that way - not conventional in other words. With the cuppings too, i was able to feel better after 10 days. That was my first massage ever, and it helped; better than going to a chiropractor. I'm guessing a lotta ppl are figuring out the same thing when it comes to working remote

Carson and headhigh like this.
  6. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Dude, I was wanting to get a massage but I wasn't sure. Never had one. My wife on the other hand is convinced I'm just trying to get a happy ending. I told her we can do a couples massage so we both get happy endings LOL.

I'm going to look into a Thai massage for sure. My back and shoulders are tied in knots thanks to surfing then going home and hunching over my desk. Sounds like it could do me a lot of good. Thanks man.

7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    When I was running a lot and dealing with soft tissue injuries, I swore by ART (Active Release Technique). I had a guy Baltimore that I went to that was a miracle worker. I had PF (Plantar Fasciitis) really bad in one foot. It's the type of running injury that can linger for years. I got the ART done on it and it was completely gone in about 4 week and I kept running the entire time. It's worth checking out. He also used to do Graston on those soft tissue and that helped a lot too. Most of the time the ART practitioners are Chiropractors or Physical Therapists.

headhigh likes this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Super calm day, barely any wind and what there was of it, was offshore. I can tell because you can smell the bacon cooking at the campground. Waves were super fun. Got up to chest high on the sets and really nice, peaky combo swell. My last wave of the day was probably the best one. Tide was getting on it so I had to hump it to get into it, was a little late on the drop, but made and grabbed the rail for a little shampoo, it opened up for a second before the second cover up section. Squeezed into that one too before coming out on the shoulder and standing up to finish the wave. Paddled straight in after that one. Hadn't planned on getting out at that point, but how could I paddle back out after that wave?

I'm feeling a bowl of cereal for breakfast...

Manik likes this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    A wise man once told me that by the time you ask that question, you've already been old for about 5 years.

Manik and headhigh like this.
  10. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    :D

headhigh likes this.
  11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    pumping in Ocean City Maryland today. Friend of mine pulling into one that ended up shutting down but not before he traveled inside the barrel quite a ways down the line.
    10-13-2020p.jpg

10-13-2020a.jpg

10-13-2020q.jpg

SCOB3YVILLE, Manik, Notaseal and 2 others like this.
  12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    A sample of what this morning was like in the Ocean City to the North.

SCOB3YVILLE, antoine, Manik and 3 others like this.
  13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Overhead yesterday at my local... tide was a little deep by late afternoon so it wasn't barreling as good as it could have been, but still good surf.

14. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Sick photos. It's crazy how it can be pumping for you guys, and 300 miles to the south it's dead f***ing flat.

antoine and Manik like this.
  15. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey Dudes,
    Took a surf yesterday. Arms still tweaked but much better so what the hey. Head high and fast but if you could match the speed you were barreled then some wall and as the tide filled you could get barreled again. It was hard for me to stay in a good spot so I went on whatever was around when I got there. Got a few good ones but I'm still tweaked.
    Home in time for porkchops and garden peppers with rice and beans.

And hey about them figs. They went on to a pizza with arugula, shallots and gorgonzola. Crazy good.

now I think I'm going to fish for a bit.

antoine, Manik, Notaseal and 2 others like this.
  16. simod5

simod5 Super Moderator

Jan 26, 2014
    no kidding. not even just these, but most of his excellent pics look like he lives on some other different coast entirely.

antoine likes this.
  17. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    excellent CJ , Mitchell great sequence of your amigo.

antoine and Carson like this.
  18. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Today was super fun at the campgrounds. Light off shore winds (mmmm...smell that bacon) and combo swell running chest high on the sets. Got a lot of really good ones. I thought it would smaller, so I took the 7'2". Could have gone smaller for sure. Move swell on the way too and it looks like the North Shore is going to get a little pulse over the next few days.

antoine, Manik and UnfurleD like this.
  19. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    SPAC continues to deliver. Lots of waist high waves with some legit shoulder high sets. Nice and clean with light offshore to dead calm. Tide raced up to 6.1 early this morning though, so it was a pretty short window before it got all wonky and backwashy. Got a lot of really good rides today. Stoked that there's more on the way, too!

Manik likes this.
  20. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    No surf in central fl. Ill report back from zipolite Mexico. Dueces for a moment amigos

Notaseal, Carson and Manik like this.