What's the worst surfing injury you've had?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by GoodVibes, Jun 12, 2020.

1. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    About 12 years ago broke 4 ribs and punctured air sacks in my lungs on a beach break. In the hospital for a couple days and out of work for 2 months.Time in the emergency room before an xray I almost had to sneeze. Worst pain I've ever had.It was pretty much a brand new Wrv with a fish tale.Put a hole in the board from the impact.Also put a small hole in my back.Thank God I was wearing a wet suit because I dont think I would have been here. Back in the water 2 months later.

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Stitches... surfing is pretty safe sport, statistically.

3. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Fin gash to the back of my leg near the ass crease. Required 8 stitches, two internal, 6 external.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    SCOB3YVILLE and GoodVibes like this.
  4. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Face planted into a leather back turtle crushed my upper jaw and split me open from the center of my mouth to the top of my forehead. Several pins in yhe roof of my mouth ..had my lip sewn back together and my cheek and forehead stitched up and my eye socket repaired. First wave of the day 2 years ago

GoodVibes likes this.
  5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Brutal!

But was the poor turtle okay? PETA wants to know.

GoodVibes likes this.
  6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
  7. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Holy Fish F***k Antoine. I'd rather survive what I went thru, at least I was under anesthesia.

8. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    How did the turtle fare?

GoodVibes likes this.
  9. GoodVibes

Jun 29, 2008
    As Han Solo once said ,never tell me the odds. Haha

10. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    The turtle was fine I'm sure..I only know it was a turtle. One of my surf buds said it was a leather back. I drove myself 3o minutes to the e.r almost passing out a few times...not bragging but I surfed 3 weeks later once I got the main stitches removed. It did teach me to be more aware of my surroundings.

11. GoodVibes

Jun 29, 2008

12. GoodVibes

Jun 29, 2008
    One crazy session. What's the odds of that

13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I've been very lucky. Other than nearly drowning twice in three days surfing big waves in Puerto Rico I've been pretty much injury free. Took a vintage longboard to the head 30 years ago that split my scalp at my hair line and gave me two black eyes even though the impact was nowhere near my eyes or nose. Very surprised that didn't knock me unconscious. Funny thing about that is it happened on the morning of the 4th of July and the beach was packed. The blood mixed with water made the bleeding look way worse than it really was. I had blood mixed with water down to my waist. The looks on people's faces and the people coming wanting to help me is something I'll always remember.

GoodVibes likes this.
  14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    My oldest son landed on his fins last year and that left a pretty impressive hole in his thigh. Those expensive FCS fins can be like knives if you land on them.

simod5 likes this.
  15. jasonkramer

jasonkramer New Member

Oct 31, 2020
    My buddy was out for 5 months after suffering brain damage from taking his board to the head - wave grabbed it from under his feet and brought it right up to his temple. Lots of therapy, yoga and good diet has brought him back to almost 100%. That injury almost cost him his career, and the ability to surf...

16. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jumping Jeebus Antoine. That is insane.

My arm still hurts. Wah.

antoine likes this.
  17. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Blew my nuts up wiping out balls first. Hospitol visit and pain but just swelling.

Stitches over my eye. Fin gashes.

Probably my ego has been the most injured through the years.

antoine, Carson and Notaseal like this.
  18. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I was surfing some tiny waves on a bright sunny 4th of July, I think it was 2015.

Out there just wasting time and enjoying the day off work, the cruisey little waves were delightful.

I was out there wearing a hat to keep the sun off my face, which I have never done before or after.

So I catch a tiny one and ride to the beach and plop down in about knee deep water. I fall backwards and reach to grab my hat instead of the board. My leash pulls tight and the board springs back at me. I reach out my foot to stop the board and I miss the tail and catch the back of the fin in the arch of my foot.

I didn't feel a thing but I pull my foot up and I'm squirting blood all over. Keep in mind it's the 4th of July and the beach is packed. It was quite a scene. Had to go to urgent care and pay holiday rates for 11 stitches. Cost me close to a G when you factor in the $300 set of crutches that they "gave" me... no insurance.