who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Was that the 2nd jetty contest? I was in jersey this weekend and happened upon a contest near a restaurant we visited. Surf at high tide on Sat was super fun

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Were you in Long Branch? That was the Clean Ocean Action comp.

3. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    No. It was a high school contest in Ocean City.

4. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
    Yep. I was in long branch. I think restuarnt was called Charlies? I did not surf there. Surfed a little farther south

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I was a half a beach north of Charlies... had to listen to the whole f-ing comp my entire session. lol

And by the way... Charlies sucks now. It used to be an awesome steak house with the best Bermuda fish chowder you've ever had. Locals mostly. Now it's a tourist trap.

6. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
    Trap worked. My wife somehow heard about it. They asked us if we had reservations which was funny because there were not many people there. We tried to go to our favorite brick oven pizza joint (Rockefeller station) but it was only open for carry out.

7. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What's up dudes?
    Got waves all weekend myself. Friday afternoon turned on for a few hours with fun short boardable surf that allowed some lip hits. Back early Saturday and hung around the outer bar at low with the LB and waited for the bigger sets. Which were just touching head high maybe. Out there it's kinda soft and if you lose your board it doesn't stray to far. Easy roll in but there was a wonk from the cross shore that kept me on my toes. More of a how far can you go wave which was fine by me. LB's SUP's and Foils were the best bet. When the tide filled it in I fished. A bunch of groms went out on boogs and killed the shore break which was fun to watch. Went home to nap then a virtual beer tasting party, that included live music, beer talk from brewers (mostly local), and educational talks on Long Island wildlife. All proceeds going to a non profit environmental center that we associate with. We did the event with our Panfamily with a giant sushi platter.
    Headed back Sunday and it was way smaller and the air was much colder. I wore boots and a hood! Got a couple and stayed longer just because it was warmer in the water. Fished a bit again but Viz blew and it was bitter out. Early Sunday dinner sausages pinwheels, Broccoli Rabe, Lasagna, and breaded chicken. put it down with a nice chianti. World series has been fun to watch.

Sun just popped out and a little swell is out there so going to finish up and take a look.

Manik and Carson like this.
  8. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    For those in need of new rubber , the fall of 2020 has wetsuit issues. Most brands are in back order , Xcel , Rip Curl , Patagonia basically have no inventory .

antoine likes this.
  9. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Fricken pandemic.

10. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Got out this morning after about a week of less than stellar waves/conditions. Wind was offshore, but the swell was very lully with set waves only reaching maybe stomach high. That being said, still have a fun session on the 7'2". Decided that I would roll with me 2 mil suit since the water temps were still decent. Ended up being cold for the first hour with the wind and no sun. Warmed up when the sun came up. Immediately put my key in my 3/2 when I got home and retired the 2 mil for the season. Only bummer was a couple of tourists floundering around on the inside. Got ready to stand up on a set wave and he/she (not entirely sure)was just standing there next to the floating board staring at me. Had to cut sharp to the peak and bail to keep from hitting it/him/her. No dig damage, but with the waves being slim pickin's, was kind of a bummer.

Manik likes this.
  11. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Surfing is the only good to come out of this COVID era.

I’m probably at the best I’ve been since 2011 or so.

Dying to take a trip somewhere, but who knows with all the 14 day quarantine bullshit after entering different countries/Hawaii.

I’ve been going at it quite a bit, but only at home in Jersey. But I have been all over the state to surf different spots I ain’t hit in years. I have plenty of downtime.

Manik and Carson like this.
  12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Good timing, too... with this run of surf. I'm pretty much stuck to about a 10 mile radius, but might get outta Dodge soon.

Carson likes this.
  13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Its had the opposite effect on me. Before Covid I was in the gym and in the pool almost every day there weren't waves. Was surfing good and feeling good. Since Covid I haven't gone to the gym or pool and the surf has been crazy crowded. I look at the crowds some days and am so bummed I don't even paddle out. Its such a buzzkill to me. My motivation has been way down, my fitness has been down and I'm surfing like poo. I used to shoot pictures when I was injured and these days I shoot pictures when I just can't get motivated to paddle out. Playing with the camera is more enjoyable than paddle battling. Drove an hour north last weekend to surf away from the shitshow at the end of my street. I really need a surf trip.

Manik likes this.
  14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I feel you, brother. I almost didn't paddle out the best day of the Teddy swell because of the crowd. But I sorta forced myself to. I just tried to stay in the gap between crowds and pick off the ones that would swing wide. I wasn't sitting on the primo peak, but F it... so what. I got a bunch of really good ones, and was happy I pushed myself out of the darkness of a bad attitude and into the light.

Manik, antoine and Carson like this.
  15. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    100% agree. I kind of expect it during the summer and switch up spots to get away from them. Fine...been doing that for 20 years. Then Labor Day came and went...most years weekdays become tolerable at that point and I can go back to surfing the spots I want to surf, but this fall it's still packed on weekdays...then September came and went and no real change in the crowds.

Now October is about gone and most sessions on so-so days in the middle of the week right up until last week, it is still summer-like crowded. There are the 5-10 locals I expect to see year-round and mostly enjoy surfing with but then add a couple dozen grade school learners that stand around on the inside, and 25-50 year old learners from Washington/Baltimore that are ***ing 3 hours from home surfing chest high waves at 3 p.m on a Tuesday afternoon in ***ing mid October.

And i'm in lousy surf-shape not getting any younger. Yeah...its been such a consistent year surfwise, and so consistently aggravating crowd-wise.

Manik and antoine like this.
  16. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Same here. Surfing has kept me sane but it's been weird since this all started. I always keep away from crowds but this year it's been hard to find a peak to oneself.And I definitely got round. Working in a house with a full pantry doesn't help and my consumption of alcohol has just skyrocketed. Somehow I let my longboard become a crutch.

Not today though. Got the kids to school and some work done. Picked the last butternuts. A 3 dozen total yield. More than enough for the winter. Now if I could catch some fish like LB I'd be a solid pilgrim. Blew the sprinklers out and headed to the b for a power hour.

Went to spot I haven't been in a year. It's always one of the best spots and always got a crowd. A little thin today. Chest, maybe bigger A frames with a heavy offshore. Still almost didn't go cause the rides were short and it was cold out. I've been spoiled by point waves. Actually drove out then turned around and said just go stupid. Suited up with boots and a hooded vest and took the heavy glassed bonzer. Got a bunch of short but punchy waves. Fairly easy to get into just behind the peak. The wind kept the face open and steep. Got out to get the kiddos and found the lot filling up. This short session got me stoked.

Just keep surfing dudes. Just keep surfing.

17. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey dudes,
    Took my stoke back out Sat. Morning and beat it down good by shortboarding a tight crowded 1st peak. A 2nd peak was a good option but it was crowded too and it was easy connecting peaks so that cut the waves in half. I stayed around the 1st peak and grabbed what I could. Say a a dozen waves in a couple of hours but only like 3 real good ones. Chest to head and clean. Basically too many surfers for not enough waves.

As the tide let out a few more waves swung wide and feathered on the other bar. Caught a few on the shorty but the outgoing was taking some zip out of it. I went and got the the log and upped my wave count for the last hour. Caught about a dozen set waves that went on forever. I would roll in deep with the feather and fade back a second, turn into it and hang on with a low crouch cheat 5 through some white water. Get into the pocket and back and to the tail for some turns. Float over the lip into the next section and repeat 3 or 4 times a wave. It died out with low and i went home and drank wine and ate candy.
    Thankful I could get the stoke back in place but missing the days of finding a peak to myself or at least just a couple of heads. Seems there is nowhere to hide.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  18. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    yo fellas, i started off the wknd getting into the water Friday evening after work. We had two shots of swell this wknd, first from Zeta's impact and the other from a cold front. Friday morning was better than i thought, one of those days waves shape well despite +15mph winds. Didn't jump on that opportunity, so was hoping a rise in the tide in the bakc half of the day would work.Buddy and I grabbed some mid-lenths for some thi to waist. They were playful easy waves that i was glad we caught anything on without a LB. Sunday's session, also an evening one tho it didn't look worthy in the morning this time, was same kinda size - maybe a notch bigger. A bit dumpy tho, but again mid-lengths got us on em and we were much happier. Sunday was a bit more crowded, but we coulda veered away - just daylight and drift got us into it so we sucked it up. Not too bad of a wknd, nothing too spooky bout it despite the wknd warnings

19. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yea, so much for gentleman's hour after 9am on weekdays. Everyone's home now, twiddling their thumbs with time to kill, or flexible work schedules. It's like everyone figured out my master plan. Stupid pandemic.

Manik and antoine like this.
  20. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Surfed the last two days. Super clean conditions, but there hasn't been much size. Waist high at best, which was made a bit weak by the tide. Still good to get out there and get wet. Really digging the fact that I can paddle out earlier.

Manik likes this.