Surf books

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by cleavland steamer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Also would like to read this one - - on AMZN the paperback is expensive @ $90.00 (not a kindle fan); any ideas on a more affordable source...?

2. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Wha??!! $90 bucks is insane. I just read it on Kindle for i think $9. I prefer books as well, but in this case there are probably few than 20 photographs/illustrations in the book, so the Kindle drawbacks were a little less of an issue.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm trying to avoid technology :rolleyes: with little success.
    thx Mitchell

4. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    just get the TESLA neuralink and be done with it!

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
  6. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Theres a surfing book that I want to read, but I forget the name of it. I think its called "Surfings Prince" or something like that.

Anyways, a true story about this semi-pro surfer from California who inherited hundreds of millions of dollars from his step dad. Its basically just tales of the shenanigans he got into after inheriting this money.

Its been described to me as Wolf of Wall Street (which I loved) with surfing...

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  7. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Interesting thread.

I'd like to second Matt Warshaw's History of Surfing. It is very well written, and a beautiful book besides.

I enjoyed In Search of Captain Zero quite a bit. What was interesting about it was that about 10 years after reading it, my ship did a port call at the town where Salsa Brava is (Puerto Viejo?). While the surf was flat while we were there, reading about the area in the book and then seeing it in person was uber-cool.

I've really enjoyed Kem Nunn's books - I've read all of them- but my favorite is Dogs of Winter. It's not purely surfing but rather surfing themed; there's less surfing in it than Tapping the Source. It is probably in my top 3 books of all time, so I highly recommend it. His writing is very, very good.

Another book I enjoyed, but haven't read in a long time is...crap, I can't remember, but it was about some guy in northern California learning how to surf. It was highly reviewed at the time, but I haven't read it in forever. I'll edit the post with the name if I can find it.

Edit: Caught Inside: A Surfer's Year on the California Coast by Daniel Duane.

Dogs of Winter: https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Winter-...qid=1493937870&sr=8-3&keywords=dogs+of+winter

Caught Inside: https://www.amazon.com/Caught-Insid...rd_wg=B5gI7&psc=1&refRID=9HV7GG5V0TR9PTDZ4P68

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    deborah34 likes this.
  8. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    "Breathe" by Tim Winton. Fiction about a non-surfing kid growing up in a ****hole town in west oz, meets up with an older oddball character who surfs the huge outer reefs, and gets bitten by the surfing bug. Its the kind of novel you could read in a weekend on the beach and not have to think about it too much.

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Havnt read a surf novel in a while- a number of years ago some friends and I traded and read them all lol (all that where written at the time and easily available... before ordering online was big and normal)

I'm along the same lines as toonces, my fav:
    1 In search for Capt zero.
    2. Caught inside
    3. Dogs of winter

There was also one about Arizona - forget what it was, but remember liking it..

By far- In search for Capt Zero was my fav. Read the Weisbeckers other books too- pretty good

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    wayne used to tell us that his favorite surfing book was the bible

11. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I thought Caught Inside kinda stunk. Just my .02 though.

Kook by Peter Heller is a enjoyable read you can blow through in a weekend. I've mentioned Barbarian Days before (which I like) but it seems to be hit or miss with a lot of people.

Chasing Dean is also a pretty fun light read, it's about two dudes from the UK who travel the East Coast following Hurricane Dean in '07. They score on a lot of spots that most of us hit on a regular basis. Cool too see places you know in print!

12. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    While heading out to San Diego, i ordered and read the book Bad Karma by Paul Wilson. It's based in the 80s of a some guys from San Diego going down to Mainland Mexico and running into a sht load of problems. It's pretty entertaining to say the least, and just makes it sound like the guys got screwed left and right with their VW bus breaking down and all kinds of sht, including running to El Chapo. Pretty easy read for those interested

World B Free and antoine like this.
  13. 666Face

666Face Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Reading surf books definitely outs you as Gay
    Have you read.
    "Incorporating your loose sphincter to enhance your backside hacks"?
    It's a real eye opener

Mitchell likes this.
  14. 666Face

Nov 10, 2020
    Shouldn't you be harassing and lying to your students and brainwashing them into compliance with the New World Jesuit Order?
    The amount of EMF exposure you Quack Teachers get in those class rooms is probably why they are all so brain dead and on Psyco Medications.
    That. BTW, the school gets more money per kid on Meds.
    So. Teachers are just Drug reps who don't get commission.
    Who else goes to collage for 6 years to make 30K
    Not smart people.
    Just Teachers
    Boooo Booooo We all still hate you people Booooo Booooo
    Hail Satan

15. 666Face

Nov 10, 2020
    What you teachers do to those kids in public school is nothing short of Child Abuse.
    We Hate you people.
    Our numbers are Growing
    You Backwards Scum Boomers are the Vile sludge of this Flat Earth.
    You Mental Retarded Teachers teach nothing but Lies to our Kids
    I hate You
    Hail Satan
    May the Curse of Ignorance you tried to cast on our Young only Bind you
    Hail Satan

16. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Anyone ever read Shaun Tomson's book, "Surfer's Code"? I have a signed copy that I pulled out the other day when I heard about his unfortunate passing.

If you have not read it, it will def make you think twice about ever going in the ocean in SA. He's got some cool stories about growing up in Durban and surfing Pipe in the early days.

It's not a literary masterpiece, but it's a fun little read.

17. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  18. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I had no idea he passed away. wow

19. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015

World B Free likes this.