Surf books

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by cleavland steamer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Clown shoes is back?? LOL!!

antoine likes this.
  2. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Surfing, The Ultimate Pleasure by Leonard Leuras

Da Bull: Life Over the Edge by Greg Noll

antoine likes this.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it was Shaun's brother Michael Tomson (the guy who owned Gotcha, and was a great surfer in his own right) who passed this week.

Manik likes this.
  4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    He didn't. His brother Michael Tomson did.

5. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Damn. Sorry about the mis-info everyone! :D

SHAUN TOMSON LIVES!!!

UnfurleD and Manik like this.
  6. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    went into a black hole in the interwebs, just ordered Thai Stick by Peter Maguire

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I read "The Wave" by Susan Casey. My theory on that one is Casey, a very well-connected NYC media exec, duped a publisher into sponsoring her to spend a year or so in places like Hawaii and Malibu (as another poster described) swinging from Laird Hamilton's beanbag.

Allan Weisbacker's books are very entertaining and well-written. His writing persona like a seen-it-all cynical arrogant asshole who's overly impressed with himself. I've met him a few times out in Montauk and as it turns out, it's no literary act. To me that makes his books even better.

By far the absolute best, funniest (and most honest) surfing book I've ever read is "Welcome to Paradise, Now Go to Hell" by Chas Smith

LBCrew, UnfurleD and antoine like this.
  8. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I've read like half the book. Haven't bought it, but rented from library several times. Def a good read, just takes me for-e-ver to finish a book

9. evag72

evag72 Member

Jun 15, 2022
    Currently on ny second go around reading Blue Mind, by Wallace J Nichols. It's an in depth look at why humans are naturally drawn to water, with some very pertinent points for surfers. It's not a book directly about surfing (although parts are), but it's an excellent read for anyone who loves the ocean or anything to do with it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022