This site is trash

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by mongoloid, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    How YOU doin'? ;)

2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Uhm Carson...I meant the druggas

World B Free and Peajay4060 like this.

3. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Ohhhhhh...my bad.

/me slinks away

4. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    This site is still gold... (in like a I have absolutely nothing better to be doing right now, not even my other hobbies that I'm looking at this site, kinda gold)
    Seeing some of your names are really bringing back the memories!

5. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  6. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

Carson likes this.
  7. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Forecast is gray againe... not that I pay much attention to it anymore but, what gives?

8. Woodywood

Woodywood Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Same here been that way for over a week .

9. Woodywood

Woodywood Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Still grey here

10. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Indeed. Try https://surfcaptain.com/ and maybe throw Micha $10 for his trouble.

rmpsec and Carson like this.
  11. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I know you're a relatively new member and you only have a couple of posts, but this is nothing new.

The forecast, once the best in the business, needed occasional maintenance which could only be provided by the original site owner, who abdicated and abandoned us a couple years ago.

A couple of feeble attempts by hired technicians (see: India) to revive it have failed miserably. To the point where I stopped using the forecast completely almost 2 years ago. In other words, "it's done, son".

This place is barely breathing and is on life support. It's just a matter of time when the "Lifestyle" corporation that owns it decides to pull the plug, like they did with Surfer Magazine.

In other words, get a Surflie membership if you need a forecast. Or just use your local buoy ffs

headhigh, Manik and seldom seen like this.
  12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  13. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Surf Captain is pretty legit for forecasts. I really don't know why SI just doesn't put the time and money into fixing their issues. This WAS the best forecasting tool when I first popped on the interweb.
    I still get texts from Mr B occasionally, he wanted me to check out MoStoke, which I did for a day. Lots of politics, usually I don't mind throwing my opinion into the fray but this year has been bad and it actually had me stressed in my personal life. Plus PJ, Carson, HH, CJ, Antoine, ect… kept posting, kept things positive, and I am a creature of habit so for now here I stay.
    Fix the forecasts, get rid of the bots, make SI great again.

pdub likes this.
  14. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    IMO it's not possible. The complexity and quirkiness of the model data that goes into making the accurate forecasts for hundreds of locations that SI used to produce (and SurfCaptain does now) requires almost daily oversight by someone with both surf forecasting and programming skills. It really isn't just plug and play. NOAA's models (the GFS wind model and the swell models) are really quite prone to format changes, data blackouts, etc.

I surf with Micah quite a bit (have for like 20 years...long before SI) and really enjoy talking to him about all of the data/headaches/surf spot knowledge/programming that goes into making it work, and keeping it working when NOAA just decides to change their product/data formats and suddenly the forecasting site script doesn't have what it needs to run.

Whatever "lifestyle" company owns Swellinfo does not have anyone on their payroll, or affordable under contract, who can realistically put the time and effort into constant monitoring and keeping that forecast up and running for all of the locations.

headhigh, La_Piedra and Carson like this.
  15. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I wish this post could somehow be pinned on this thread. I'm going to copy/paste it every time someone posts here.

antoine and Carson like this.
  16. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    pinned like pohan?

17. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    the Gray Times are coming, againe

upload_2021-2-1_14-25-0.png

18. whoisJOB

Jan 5, 2021
    Gray means the model has failed?

19. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeah it means 2 monkeys in India haven't been banging their coconuts in awhile, which leads to catastrophic forecast failure, which leads to the inevitable "why doesn't the forecast work" thread being started by someone nobody's ever heard of before who always seems to be from Sonoma County

20. whoisJOB

Jan 5, 2021
    who’s from Sonoma here?